User Tag List

View Poll Results: Space Exploration: Yay or Nay?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

51 94.44%
  • Nay

3 5.56%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Would you be more clear
    Would you use your brain ?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

ten years? what I have seen suggests it'll take more like 1,000 years to send anything to alpha centauri(the closest star system to us) at the speeds of our fastest shuttle/probe.

so yeah we could start sending stuff off that'll get there in 1,000+ years, but like..... why? we'd need to cryogenically freeze people, or else we would be sending a series of shipments containing nothing but robotic equipment to explore a possibly empty solar system.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I definitely support publicly funded space exploration. Using manned spacecraft can be a waste of money though, unmanned exploration is a lot cheaper.

There isn't much of a profit motive for much of the research NASA does, so we need organizations like this. People like Ron Paul would rather sell off NASA's assets to private entities and scrap our space program.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    There are a lot of problems we have now that demand our money and attention though, unfortunately
    NASA's budget is really hardly even a drop in the bucket. We got it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I'm for it, but the technical hurdles are rather extreme. I don't see any huge advance until Fusion power is developed.

There are a lot of problems we have now that demand our money and attention though, unfortunately
    If you look at the possible viable 'timelines' you can either have substained growth via space exploration or stagnation, heavy reduction of population etc. But the difficulties are at least as important as the exploitation of the solar system for ressources and growth.
    You'd need major sociological change and most probably an united earth governement, and i'm not even mentioning that the human beings have a natural tendency to explore and grow (I mean, Nietzschean Will to Power to be summarize via 'pop culture')

+ there's the whole issue of having all ur eggs in one nuclear basket, which by itself create tensions that can lead to dissentions and go all 'self realising prophecy' on your ass. You could argue the contrary with the 'space exploration' scenario, saying that nuclear strikes would be more plausible if earth is not the only place we have, but then again most issues arise from the very nature of earth as a closed system with limited ressources (again, appart from sunlight)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Would you use your brain ?
    My, so aggressive!

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I definitely support publicly funded space exploration. Using manned spacecraft can be a waste of money though, unmanned exploration is a lot cheaper.

There isn't much of a profit motive for much of the research NASA does, so we need organizations like this. People like Ron Paul would rather sell off NASA's assets to private entities and scrap our space program.

NASA's budget is really hardly even a drop in the bucket. We got it.
    While this is true about the budget, the increase in resources the space program needs to really attract great minds and get to the level that we desire can be higher than I think some people would want.

It's also hard to justify when things locally aren't exactly ship shape. People are going to ask, why spend 10 billion dollars to study some space rocks when you got this going on across the pond:

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

just doing some quick calculations

alpha centauri estimated distance - 4.3 light year(ly). 1ly = 9.3 x 10^12 km. The fastest probe we've sent out, helios, is upwards around 250 x 10^3 km/h. divine, we get like 4 x 10^9 hours or 1.3 x 10^8 days, or around 3.3 x 10^4 years. like 3 thousand years at our best speeds.

We CAN go faster, however. The problem is, if i remember my modern physics right, is that the energy it takes to accelerate closer and closer to c increases exponentially the faster you get.

so if we get a manned spacecraft going 1/2 of c, we COULD get it in there in ten years give or take, is that what is assumed?

Someone find a physics book plz, i'm not at my apartment find the energy it takes to accelerate to relativistic speeds, think that's why we would want fusion reactors like jock said.

edit: found it: E (kinetic) = (m c^2)/ (1 - (v/c)^2) - m c^2

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

While this is true about the budget, the increase in resources the space program needs to really attract great minds and get to the level that we desire can be higher than I think some people would want.

It's also hard to justify when things locally aren't exactly ship shape. People are going to ask, why spend 10 billion dollars to study some space rocks when you got this going on across the pond:

Because the many outweight the few, and the fact that the 'many' are not born yet isn't an excuse when we're talking about major timeline altering choices on mind boggling scales.
    Feel good solutions only take you so far, and even without accounting for the extremism of the example you used I think it selfish to make that choice if it only leads to more suffering in the end once you're dead and buried.

1. It's not like we're spending trillions on dollar on the poor african kids already and that the mean space agencies are going to take the bread out of their mouthes.
    2. Ever heard of the parable of the talents?
    3. As I said before, I'm not talking about 'moral choices' or whatever, we're talking about hard facts. If you don't want space exploration, then you have to accept heavy population reduction, and in countries where people just won't listen and 'll keep at making kids it can only lead to hunger, death and wars.
    4. It's borderline stupid to try to force people to go against human nature (growth, expansion etc.) when the most logical solution allows for our natural tendencies to exist and florish.
    5. (logical consequence of 4) The other solution (timeline), so no space exploration and stagnation would pretty much mean an unique totalitarian regime with heavy use of morals, sociological 'solidification' etc.

... In theory.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

While I do care about what is going on in other countries, I think in general our money needs to be better spent. I think space exploration is a wonderful thing, and we should cut costs on the stupid things, rather than on something like space exploration.

I think we should cut out the stupid things, and be able to spend money on space AND helping other people.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

NASA-funded scientists would argue that the US is already lagging behind in science as it is. So they can point to NASA accomplishments that helped push science forward and say they contribute to retaining American superpower status. You can also say keeping America ahead of the game in science and technology does benefit us economically and pays back dividends, which could make it easier to do more humanitarian support.