Thread: Apple iPad

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

no flash? no multitasking?

one question - does it have a keyboard? i have an iphone and it's great for the Internet, but yearn for my blackberry back (too many mistakes)

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Yeah, I don't see when it would ever be useful, considering what most people own already. It is only a matter of time before all screens are touch screen, this just seems like a link in the chain and not an actual consumerist product.

And call me old school but I like the feel of keys being pressed over a touch screen keyboard.

MBTI
    ISTJ

They didn't have one at the store I went to. To tell you the truth though, I think the device is an epic fail just by looking at the infomercials about it on the Apple website.

Someone is going to end up with scoliosis trying to sit down and read that thing like a laptop in a comfortable position.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    no flash? no multitasking?

one question - does it have a keyboard? i have an iphone and it's great for the Internet, but yearn for my blackberry back (too many mistakes)
    It's a digital keyboard, basically a larger version of the iPod Touch/iPhone on-screen keyboard.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

The iPad seems pointless to Falcarius, it lacks the advantages of a phone and is eclipsed by netbooks and laptops.

If Falcarius' understanding is correct: having few USB ports, no Skype, Firefox, Microsoft Office, multitasking, and Flash would be more than absurd. To make matter worse it has a stupid glossy bright display which rules out reading eBooks.

Also, Falcarius does not know if it is him but he finds anything with a on-screen keyboard annoying as hell (The iPad does have some cheap looking iPad Keyboard Dock, but sill on-screen keyboard as the main feature ). Anyone tried surfing the net on an iPhone for more than a few hours without wanting to toss it out of the nearest window?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    It's funny, because some years ago, a co-worker and I talked about printed materials becoming obsolete (we were print graphic designers), and being replaced by thin hand held devices that you could read magazines and what not on. I still mourn paper, and real books, with their sweet, musty smells and grainy textures .
    I guess, despite being a technology supporter, I'm still an analog fan myself. Sure, digital has a lot of fancy features, but there's still nothing quite like the feel of a real page, tone of a tube amplifier, or warmth of a vinyl record. There's also great fun in collecting them, whereas most of my digital stuff just gets recycled when I have no more use for it.

Jeez. I sound old for a 24 year old.

Concerning the iPad though, I basically gathered that it's a Nook with an mp3 player. Then again, I'm not usually impressed by Apple.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    If Falcarius' understanding is correct: having few USB ports, no Skype, Firefox, Microsoft Office, multitasking, and Flash would be more than absurd. To make matter worse it has a stupid glossy bright display which rules out reading eBooks.
    This is the deal killer for me. If this is accurate, then it is a piece of shite.

Now I have to find a different toy to buy!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    This is the deal killer for me. If this is accurate, then it is a piece of shite.

Now I have to find a different toy to buy!
    No Flash and multitasking is certainly true, as is having the glossy display. Whether there are USB ports is not clear none are listed on the list of input and output unless it has some on the iPad Dock. The software support for the iPad in regards to Skype, Firefox, Microsoft Office ect. one would have to look into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INFP

The Apple iPad will be fantastic as a real-time controller for audio apps such as Ableton Live - especially at the price-points.

It may not be for everyone, but synthesists and electronic music producers will be all over this thing.

cheers,
    Ian

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default iPad is more than what it is not

The thing about the iPad is it is so much more than what it is not. It is first and foremost not meant to be a computer replacement. Nor is it meant to replace your cellphone/smartphone.

It will be great at some stuff and very good at others. So it will be able to be used in lieu of a number of other gadgets like e-readers, digital picture frames, portable DVD players etc. As to what it is it is a portal to the cloud, it is an electronic notebook, it is a relatively unique gaming platform.

It is also relatively easy, low learning curve, to write programs for so if developers like it they will write for it. From that perspective it is full of potential.