• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Apple iPad

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
I am failing to see how this is different than other tablets...

You're paying for the software, basically. There are a few hardware differences. IPS screen, A4 "system on a chip" processing unit, form factor, 3g wireless, etcetera. The user experience is what Apple focuses on, maintaining consistency. As I said before, though, the lack of multitasking makes me want to kick injection molded babies.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does this thing still have the OLED screen proposed for it? (Instead of LCD).
Probably not, if the price is now below $1000, right?

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Yeah, No OLED screen, just IPS with LED backlighting.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This seems like the sort of product where, it seems like the best thing ever before you buy it. But once you do, you realize you have two other gadgets that do the same thing in either a faster or more portable manner.

That's what I was thinking...if you have a nice laptop, and a touch screen phone, then what do you need this for? It looks cool, but that's not enough to drop hundreds of dollars for.

I was thinking it seems like a laptop for people who just want to use their laptop for internet browsing, music/book downloading, photo/movie/video viewing, and other entertainment. I could see my mom or sister loving this, since they don't do a lot of real work on their home computers. They might not even need a personal computer if they had a device like this. If you need to do real work or make a phone call, you will still need your other devices though.

Oh, and the name is awful.

It's funny, because some years ago, a co-worker and I talked about printed materials becoming obsolete (we were print graphic designers), and being replaced by thin hand held devices that you could read magazines and what not on. I still mourn paper, and real books, with their sweet, musty smells and grainy textures :cry:. :D

wolfy

awsm
Depends on what the OS is like...if it's more like the iTouch, no multitasking, no flash support [though HTML5 hopefully will be picking up steam by then], the 4:3 aspect ratio pretty much blows for entertainment purposes...it's a little more than an e-reader but not as good as a netbook.

Very conflicted, personally.

There is no flash support. I don't think it looks like much of an alternative to other stuff already on the market. Doesn't seem best suited to any one thing. Who knows.

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
It looks kind of like it'd be awkward to hold. Or uncomfortable to hold I mean. It looks interesting though.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd never trade my ebook reader for that (the more so after all the trouble I had getting it) since I think luminescent screens aren't really comfortable for prolonged reading.
Apart from that, the design is really unimaginative.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
no flash? no multitasking?

one question - does it have a keyboard? i have an iphone and it's great for the Internet, but yearn for my blackberry back (too many mistakes)

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah, I don't see when it would ever be useful, considering what most people own already. It is only a matter of time before all screens are touch screen, this just seems like a link in the chain and not an actual consumerist product.

And call me old school but I like the feel of keys being pressed over a touch screen keyboard.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
They didn't have one at the store I went to. To tell you the truth though, I think the device is an epic fail just by looking at the infomercials about it on the Apple website. :doh:

Someone is going to end up with scoliosis trying to sit down and read that thing like a laptop in a comfortable position. :yes:

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
no flash? no multitasking?

one question - does it have a keyboard? i have an iphone and it's great for the Internet, but yearn for my blackberry back (too many mistakes)

It's a digital keyboard, basically a larger version of the iPod Touch/iPhone on-screen keyboard.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
The iPad seems pointless to Falcarius, it lacks the advantages of a phone and is eclipsed by netbooks and laptops.

If Falcarius' understanding is correct: having few USB ports, no Skype, Firefox, Microsoft Office, multitasking, and Flash would be more than absurd. To make matter worse it has a stupid glossy bright display which rules out reading eBooks.

Also, Falcarius does not know if it is him but he finds anything with a on-screen keyboard annoying as hell (The iPad does have some cheap looking iPad Keyboard Dock, but sill on-screen keyboard as the main feature :unsure:). Anyone tried surfing the net on an iPhone for more than a few hours without wanting to toss it out of the nearest window?

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's funny, because some years ago, a co-worker and I talked about printed materials becoming obsolete (we were print graphic designers), and being replaced by thin hand held devices that you could read magazines and what not on. I still mourn paper, and real books, with their sweet, musty smells and grainy textures :cry:. :D

I guess, despite being a technology supporter, I'm still an analog fan myself. Sure, digital has a lot of fancy features, but there's still nothing quite like the feel of a real page, tone of a tube amplifier, or warmth of a vinyl record. There's also great fun in collecting them, whereas most of my digital stuff just gets recycled when I have no more use for it.

Jeez. I sound old for a 24 year old. :laugh:

Concerning the iPad though, I basically gathered that it's a Nook with an mp3 player. Then again, I'm not usually impressed by Apple.:coffee:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If Falcarius' understanding is correct: having few USB ports, no Skype, Firefox, Microsoft Office, multitasking, and Flash would be more than absurd. To make matter worse it has a stupid glossy bright display which rules out reading eBooks.

This is the deal killer for me. If this is accurate, then it is a piece of shite. :thumbdown:

Now I have to find a different toy to buy! :ranting: :laugh:

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
This is the deal killer for me. If this is accurate, then it is a piece of shite. :thumbdown:

Now I have to find a different toy to buy! :ranting: :laugh:

No Flash and multitasking is certainly true, as is having the glossy display. Whether there are USB ports is not clear none are listed on the list of input and output unless it has some on the iPad Dock. The software support for the iPad in regards to Skype, Firefox, Microsoft Office ect. one would have to look into.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
The Apple iPad will be fantastic as a real-time controller for audio apps such as Ableton Live - especially at the price-points.

It may not be for everyone, but synthesists and electronic music producers will be all over this thing.

cheers,
Ian

INTPLady

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
iPad is more than what it is not

The thing about the iPad is it is so much more than what it is not. It is first and foremost not meant to be a computer replacement. Nor is it meant to replace your cellphone/smartphone.

It will be great at some stuff and very good at others. So it will be able to be used in lieu of a number of other gadgets like e-readers, digital picture frames, portable DVD players etc. As to what it is it is a portal to the cloud, it is an electronic notebook, it is a relatively unique gaming platform.

It is also relatively easy, low learning curve, to write programs for so if developers like it they will write for it. From that perspective it is full of potential.