User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: PS3

MBTI
    yupp

Default PS3

So I bought a PS3, and I hooked it up to the wireless network, its connected. The problem is it keeps dropping the connection or is really slow, now I have fairly fast internet and it's secure so I know, no ones stealing it, I've trouble shooted but is their anything I can do to make the connection faster/not drop the router is like eight feet from the system so I suppose I could do I direct connect but I really rather not.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Hmm, make sure your router supports UPnP and is enabled, or you might have to open up some ports. Other than that, do a network connection test [it's in your settings somewhere] and see what the values are for upload and download speed, and report what your NAT settings are.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It's probably what Jock just mentioned, but it could also be co-channel interference. Do you live in an apartment complex or some place where there are a lot of other access points nearby?

Edit: Then again, if you haven't had problems with that on other wireless devices, I don't think it would start now. Sorry, sensotard moment there.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    yupp

I can't do anything because theirs a person asleep on my couch, well I could but I don't want to wake her/sit on the floor. But I know how to do a connection test on the ps3 I just didn't know what I was looking for and I don't think my router supports UPnP its a D-link Wireless N dir 615. I think I know what port I need to open but I'm not changing anything until I get the NAT info.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I can't do anything because theirs a person asleep on my couch, well I could but I don't want to wake her/sit on the floor. But I know how to do a connection test on the ps3 I just didn't know what I was looking for and I don't think my router supports UPnP its a D-link Wireless N dir 615. I think I know what port I need to open but I'm not changing anything until I get the NAT info.
    You may want to change the channel of your wireless network. You can use a tool like NetStumbler (may be a similar tool included on Windows these days, not sure) to see what other wireless networks are in range and what channels they are on. Ideally, you should choose an unoccupied channel that is two numbers away from any other network (so, 8 is okay if someone is on 6, for example).

Also, it's possible for metal in walls or furniture to block a wifi signal, so you might try repositioning either your PS3 or your wireless router to see if something is blocking the signal between those two points. You can also try temporarily moving everything to one room, just to make sure things work well normally.

Another issue can be other electrical devices (some cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves, etc). If the network is fast sometimes and slow others, you may want to try to look for a pattern that might be a clue about where the interference is coming from.

Still another issue is that occasionally certain combinations of hardware don't work well together. I did find this link: Solved: My D-Link DIR-615 wireless N router is really problematic. - Tech Support Guy Forums which involves someone reporting a problem with that router and the PS3 specifically. So you might try following the directions there and upgrading your firmware. (Do be cautious when upgrading firmware, because it's possible that unplugging the device at the wrong time can force you to mail it off to be repaired.)

Finally, you may want to try pinging your PS3 from your PC (using the command-line "ping" command) and see what the network latency is and whether packets are being dropped. If not every packet is making it through consistently, the sender has to resend packets which slows everything down greatly.

Sorry to throw a bunch of random suggestions at you, but sometimes wireless issues can be complicated to track down.

MBTI
    yupp

UPnP is is available accorrding to the ps3 and the NAT type is type 3. I also updated the firmware.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    IsTP

the NAT has to be type 2 for it to work well. What router are you running? Also, welcome to the nightmare that is PS3 wireless networking.

Also what mode is your wireless secuirty set at?

I used to have a belkin router and I kept trying to hook it up using WAP/WEP encoding, and it never worked right. I switched it over to a type of encoding (I forget what specifically) that just used a password only and it worked fine after that.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    yupp

WEP. I think I just need to figure out how to change the NAT
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    WEP. I think I just need to figure out how to change the NAT
    I believe you can do manual port forwarding for the applications/games you have in mind and make things work... it's just a pain in a butt. Plus, you'll need to assign a static IP address to your PS3, so you don't have to change your port forwarding every time you reboot.

See portforward.com for particular games/applications and step-by-step instructions on what do your for your router. I believe you can set up "PlayStation Network" ports as a starting point.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Or you can just give your PS3 a static IP address [192.168.1.10 for example] and then put that on a DMZ in the router settings. Though to be honest if it's really 10 feet from the router I'd just run the cable.