User Tag List

First 12

Thread: PS3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Or you can just give your PS3 a static IP address [192.168.1.10 for example] and then put that on a DMZ in the router settings. Though to be honest if it's really 10 feet from the router I'd just run the cable.
    Agreed. DMZ is in theory more dangerous, but WAY simpler. It's considered more dangerous because if there are any exploits involving other ports, those ports are now exposed to the outside world. You may not have critical data on your PS3, but in theory a hacked PS3 could be used to gain access to the rest of your network.

In reality, it doesn't seem like a terribly likely scenario. I don't believe there are any known exploits for the PS3 at the moment (despite rumors). Using DMZ with a PC is far more dangerous.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Agreed. DMZ is in theory more dangerous, but WAY simpler. It's considered more dangerous because if there are any exploits involving other ports, those ports are now exposed to the outside world. You may not have critical data on your PS3, but in theory a hacked PS3 could be used to gain access to the rest of your network.

In reality, it doesn't seem like a terribly likely scenario. I don't believe there are any known exploits for the PS3 at the moment (despite rumors). Using DMZ with a PC is far more dangerous.
    Yup, I typically DMZ my 360 or PS3 because they really can't do anything to damage my existing network or the clients. And as far as I know CC numbers for marketplace purchases aren't stored client side so I think personal information should be fine. But I agree, never do it for PCs, heh.

MBTI
    yupp

my router crapped out yesterday so I'm going to call support see if its totally busted and I need to go buy a new one or what. My internet was also down all night. but now it works thank god I was about to call AT&T
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    my router crapped out yesterday so I'm going to call support see if its totally busted and I need to go buy a new one or what. My internet was also down all night. but now it works thank god I was about to call AT&T
    Huh... I've gotten my router fried a couple of times, but usually my cable modem got fried along with it (fried modem... mmmmmm). I think both times it happened to me it was around the time of an electrical storm, so I assume power came in through the cable line (since no other electrical equipment was affected, and I've got surge protectors on everything).

MBTI
    yupp

so I had to buy a router but its set up and I think I'm going to try to get the ps3 on the wireless network and if it comes up with nat 3 I'm just going to run a cord.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    yupp

the cable isn't long enough and I have to go either buy a longer cable or figure out the wireless. I also had to buy a new router since my old one got fried last night.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    yupp

I gave the ps3 a static ip and turned on DMZ for the device but its still NAT 3
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Hmm, that's odd. Don't know what to tell you really. You might have to call your ISP and if they have you as "private" they need to make you public. If you're on the DMZ it should allow all traffic, so that's very bizarre.

MBTI
    yupp

yeah, I hate calling at&t i even set up the ports but its still in type 3 I think I'm gonna go buy a longer cord and have it wired cuz at this point I don't know what else to try.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    yupp

I looked at my isp info and it is set to private. I'm scared to change anything because I don't want to lose internet totally so I'm just going to live this alone for the day
    In no likes experiment.

that is all