• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Green sea slug is part plant, part animal.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
This shit reminds me of Pokemon or something. Apparently this special sea slug may have the genes for synthesizing chlorophyll in its own genome, taken from plant DNA, as well as chloroplasts gotten from the algae it eats. IOW, this slug can use photosynthesis just like a plant, which is the reason it doesn't need to eat but ONCE in its entire life.

green_sea_slug.jpg

Win!!

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whoa, how'd I miss this in my science feeds. That's so awesome.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This shit reminds me of Pokemon or something. Apparently this special sea slug may have the genes for synthesizing chlorophyll in its own genome, taken from plant DNA, as well as chloroplasts gotten from the algae it eats. IOW, this slug can use photosynthesis just like a plant, which is the reason it doesn't need to eat but ONCE in its entire life.

Green Sea Slug Is Part Animal, Part Plant | Wired Science | Wired.com

green_sea_slug.jpg

It's such a shame Risen went on a downward spiral. I felt like if he had the right nurturing he could have continued posting constructive things and I could have enjoyed more convo's with him on the geology and environment etc on vent.

My honest opinion is that he was subject to a lot of discrimination irl and found it hard not to play a role he had assumed to protect himself... and yes it was an ugly role that got uglier. Damn.:cry:

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
green humans? or humans with green arms and legs? or green stripes on back and chest. photosynthesis would not meet all our nutritional needs would it?maybe it would reduce our nutritional requirement and make us less dependent.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
green humans? or humans with green arms and legs? or green stripes on back and chest. photosynthesis would not meet all our nutritional needs would it?maybe it would reduce our nutritional requirement and make us less dependent.

Interesting. I have debated whether to ease food crises in the Third World we should look into engineering photosynthesis into humans so that they can feed themselves and ease the food crisis. It is really interesting this type of topic.

Gone

Interesting. I have debated whether to ease food crises in the Third World we should look into engineering photosynthesis into humans so that they can feed themselves and ease the food crisis. It is really interesting this type of topic.

In theory that would be pretty neat. In reality... I dunno. Definitely not a solution for everything.
We would still need proteins and fats since it could only supply us with carbohydrates. This would make it necessary to eliminate a lot of carbs from our menu so we don't get diabetes.
Also it wouldn't be a solution for regions where water is rare because we'd need even more water than now for photosynthesis.
And I guess it would only work in warm regions where you can run around (partly) naked. Doesn't make much sense to stop starving only to freeze to death.
Definitely a pro: we'd reduce CO2 and produce O2 instead.
On a completely unrelated point, green skin would look pretty cool.

I'm conflicted. But research in that direction surely couldn't hurt.