User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I'm wondering if we cook the poor beast, whether it will taste like a sea snail or a vegetable?
    first thing that came to my head when i saw it
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    This shit reminds me of Pokemon or something. Apparently this special sea slug may have the genes for synthesizing chlorophyll in its own genome, taken from plant DNA, as well as chloroplasts gotten from the algae it eats. IOW, this slug can use photosynthesis just like a plant, which is the reason it doesn't need to eat but ONCE in its entire life.

Win!!
    "It's never enough." The Cure

Whoa, how'd I miss this in my science feeds. That's so awesome.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Woah, this is awesome!
    F O R E V E R

MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/so
    Socionics
    iei Ni

Is it vegan to eat?
    Likes magpie liked this post

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    This shit reminds me of Pokemon or something. Apparently this special sea slug may have the genes for synthesizing chlorophyll in its own genome, taken from plant DNA, as well as chloroplasts gotten from the algae it eats. IOW, this slug can use photosynthesis just like a plant, which is the reason it doesn't need to eat but ONCE in its entire life.

Green Sea Slug Is Part Animal, Part Plant | Wired Science | Wired.com

It's such a shame Risen went on a downward spiral. I felt like if he had the right nurturing he could have continued posting constructive things and I could have enjoyed more convo's with him on the geology and environment etc on vent.

My honest opinion is that he was subject to a lot of discrimination irl and found it hard not to play a role he had assumed to protect himself... and yes it was an ugly role that got uglier. Damn.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

green humans? or humans with green arms and legs? or green stripes on back and chest. photosynthesis would not meet all our nutritional needs would it?maybe it would reduce our nutritional requirement and make us less dependent.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee
    Likes Cat Brainz liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    973 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    green humans? or humans with green arms and legs? or green stripes on back and chest. photosynthesis would not meet all our nutritional needs would it?maybe it would reduce our nutritional requirement and make us less dependent.
    Interesting. I have debated whether to ease food crises in the Third World we should look into engineering photosynthesis into humans so that they can feed themselves and ease the food crisis. It is really interesting this type of topic.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Brain in a Jar View Post
    Interesting. I have debated whether to ease food crises in the Third World we should look into engineering photosynthesis into humans so that they can feed themselves and ease the food crisis. It is really interesting this type of topic.
    In theory that would be pretty neat. In reality... I dunno. Definitely not a solution for everything.
    We would still need proteins and fats since it could only supply us with carbohydrates. This would make it necessary to eliminate a lot of carbs from our menu so we don't get diabetes.
    Also it wouldn't be a solution for regions where water is rare because we'd need even more water than now for photosynthesis.
    And I guess it would only work in warm regions where you can run around (partly) naked. Doesn't make much sense to stop starving only to freeze to death.
    Definitely a pro: we'd reduce CO2 and produce O2 instead.
    On a completely unrelated point, green skin would look pretty cool.

I'm conflicted. But research in that direction surely couldn't hurt.