• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ham radio operator

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
anyone a ham here?

i wanna get in on the ham radios...what kind of equipment you guys use? tips on getting the amateur radio license? any of you ever talked to the international space station? how deep did you go into the sceince/tech behind the radios

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
Anyone a ham here?
Yes, general license

i wanna get in on the ham radios...what kind of equipment you guys use?
I never got beyond two meter equipment - my Dad had an old boat-anchor but I never used it.

tips on getting the amateur radio license?
Get a current study guide.

The initial license, if you have any of the basic concepts and a good dose of common sense is quite easy. I got my general license just before they did away with the Morse Code requirement so I got my 13 wpm.

any of you ever talked to the international space station?
No - know some who did though.

how deep did you go into the science/tech behind the radios?
No more than required - was interested in the emergency communications angle on a local level.

Aside: Renewed the license last summer, but haven't been active on the air for about 5 years. My Dad was a big push behind getting involved to begin with and he died in '05 (and was very ill for a couple of years before that). It just hasn't been the same.