User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: CNC lathe

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default CNC lathe

I figured it's about time for me to build my own cnc machine and I wanted to take the opportunity to ask if anyone got experience with that already.

A professional cnc looks like this:

http://www.pr-x.de/uploadfiles/pictu...20Eingriff.jpg

So its basically one or two drill heads that can move in all 3 dimensions automatically and under it you clamp a piece of raw metal, plastic or wood and programm the control unit so the drill starts cutting the piece in shape automatized.

I of course lack the equipment to build a professional cnc like that, but I recently soldered a little control unit with an AVR microchip to control a stepper motor and I want to use that to build a directional system you can move a drill head with on all three axes. For the drilling head I thought to buy a cheap drilling machine, disassemble it and glue the parts together to have the free-moveable drill head. Then I can use a drill chuck to plug in different heads.

Does anyone by chance got experience with that already ? I found several schematics by hobby constructors on the interwebz, but they all concern with building a pristine machine and you need a lot of gear to do that :/.

Any advice appreciated
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

HAHAHHAHAHAAA good luck
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I found some not too complicated schematics by a guy, whose house looked like this after his first attempts:

Photo Gallery FJungclaus.de

They all tho buy most of the parts, like the control. I dont want to do that, cause the parts cost like a million

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

do you have eny idea on what your doing? are you a professional machinist and got equipment for doing the parts?

im 100% sure that you will never finish the machine or you finish it and end up killing yourself with it.
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I was just talking to one of my friends who designs CNC machines! They used to build them all to custom specs and he is trying to come up with a standard order machine.

So basically, nope, can't help you. :P

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    do you have eny idea on what your doing? are you a professional machinist and got equipment for doing the parts?

im 100% sure that you will never finish the machine or you finish it and end up killing yourself with it.
    Kind of a depressing attitude you have there. Like: I will never bake bread cause I am no baker. Sounds very german, didnt know you guys had it also in you .

--------------------

This guy did it also:

Selbstbau-CNC-Fr

I figured there are some standardized parts you usually can buy for a project like that, some guy sells a board thats equipped with an avr aswell that emulates a real cnc program, but I figured I dont need stuff like that. Main reason is it costs like $1000.

Gonna see how far I can get and if I loose an arm or two

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post

We would totally see him on the news or darwin awards. He should absolutely go for it. If people never tried things they would never learn anything or do anything new.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Kind of a depressing attitude you have there. Like: I will never bake bread cause I am no baker. Sounds very german, didnt know you guys had it also in you .

--------------------

This guy did it also:

Selbstbau-CNC-Fr

I figured there are some standardized parts you usually can buy for a project like that, some guy sells a board thats equipped with an avr aswell that emulates a real cnc program, but I figured I dont need stuff like that. Main reason is it costs like $1000.

Gonna see how far I can get and if I loose an arm or two *lol*
    im a machinish by profession and i have used these machines, so i got the basic idea how these work. and trust me when im saying this, you are not able to build a cnc machine, atleast if your not a really experienced machinist and mechanic who has worked with these machines alot

these machines need to much power that if you make even one calculation mistake by 1/500th of millimeter the thing will blow up in your face and you need to do ALOT of correct calculations.

not to mention how much the thing would cost and how long it would take to build it. this project would take you meny years or maybe just one or two if you do it full time and know about what your doing
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Darwin Awards is a big goal

Look here is someone who did it too:

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    We would totally see him on the news or darwin awards. He should absolutely go for it. If people never tried things they would never learn anything or do anything new.
    ask your friend what he thinks about entp building cnc machine from scaps without clearly eny kind of idea what hes getting himself into. im pretty sure he will just laugh
    — C.G. Jung

Read