• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

footnotes?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
umm.. neither would I! :blush:

I'm such a failure! I can't harvest pollen from flowers or make honey either! :cry:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Well, first I was going to ask how you could get into a serious fight over referencing styles...

But then the rest of the thread just kinda blanked that out.

Speaking of bees though, I know I can't speak bee. My neighbour had a few hives (for honey!) and once upon a time, something got in there... and they swarmed like locusts. That's scarry stuff.

And they didn't listen when I told them to go away.

Ah well, languages were never my strong point.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my dad had a few bee hives out a ways from the house when I was a kid for the honey- I remember always getting warnings from my mom about watching out for the bees, because they sting!

They wouldn't listen to me either- and I study languages! :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, first I was going to ask how you could get into a serious fight over referencing styles...

Well, it was like this: The MLA, though devised by Satan himself, was not the cause of the argument. The cause of the argument was the sheer confusion generated by said MLA formatting and the pig-headed refusal of the power-tripping English professor to clarify ANY point raised by his students. He was hell-bent and determined to fail everyone in the class.

When I saw him bullying yet another student into tears, I asked a question with the intention of dragging some sense back into reach, but he bit my head off, so I stood up and calmly told him, after gesturing broadly to an entire room full of nearly-weeping despondent students, that I had never failed an English class in my life and that I knew myself to be both tolerably smart and reasonable, and he'd managed to put me past my sanity AND my decorum, and that maybe the dean of students might be interested if I paid him a visit that afternoon.

"Nobody's paying you to to f-k up GPAs," I snapped. I sat back down and my ESTP law enforcement friend leaned over and said with a leering smile, "I said speak your mind, Megan, but geez...."

Later I learned the professor was going through a terrible divorce and had already been notorious in the English department as a spiny unreasonable person. I was like "Oh. Super. Just what I needed."

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ugh- sounds like a poli sci professor I had who said that nobody in our class would get an A that semester since her fiance was in Iraq! I got a 94% in that class, but it was still only a B :(

I wish that professors wouldn't take their own lives out on students!

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ok, that was a much awesomer story than I thought I'd get :D Good reason to do it! :D

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
ugh- sounds like a poli sci professor I had who said that nobody in our class would get an A that semester since her fiance was in Iraq! I got a 94% in that class, but it was still only a B :(

I wish that professors wouldn't take their own lives out on students!

Uhh...what??

I can't believe she got away with that!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Uhh...what??

yeah- I didn't think it was particularly fair- that's the only B I've ever gotten in poli sci!

I gave the next semester's class the answers to the midterm though- so I'm at peace with that situation! :D

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, that was a much awesomer story than I thought I'd get :D Good reason to do it! :D

I was so mad at myself for losing my temper, but I did go all Sidney Poitier on the guy. I just couldn't stand there and let him destroy academic careers, especially for those of us who were poor and only able to afford school thanks to grants -- grants we'd lose if we got our GPAs torpedoed.

Uhh...what??

Seriously! Why take hostages?? What kind of sadistic creep do you have to be to do such a thing to a room full of strangers?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Now this is an embarrassing question :blush: , but I've spent the past hour trying to figure out how to insert footnotes into a paper I've written and have no clue how to do so! It's rather sad. How does one go about putting footnotes into a paper on Microsoft Word? I'd be delighted for instructions! :D

otherwise I'll fail my class and end up living under the overpass near my house :cry: !

I've always used MLA citations in the past and am horribly confused by this damned APA format!

Are you sure you have to use footnotes??? :huh:

In APA style, you almost always use an in-text reference in parenthesis like at the end of this sentence (JAVO, 2007). Then all of the references are listed at the end of the paper in References section. This online guide might help some.

Us psychology types realize a long time ago how illogical and insane the whole on-page footnotes requirement is! :D

Well, it was like this: The MLA, though devised by Satan himself,

Amen!!! :D

When I saw him bullying yet another student into tears, I asked a question with the intention of dragging some sense back into reach, but he bit my head off, so I stood up and calmly told him, after gesturing broadly to an entire room full of nearly-weeping despondent students, that I had never failed an English class in my life and that I knew myself to be both tolerably smart and reasonable, and he'd managed to put me past my sanity AND my decorum, and that maybe the dean of students might be interested if I paid him a visit that afternoon.

"Nobody's paying you to to f-k up GPAs," I snapped. I sat back down and my ESTP law enforcement friend leaned over and said with a leering smile, "I said speak your mind, Megan, but geez...."

You are The Woman! :happy0065: :rock: