• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Absolute Zero

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Would all motion stop, all over the world, if we reached it here on earth?

My chemistry teacher was telling us about how some people are worried that if they reached absolute zero that will happen. Of course, someone asked "what if it were in a closed container". His response was that would mean the container would have to be the same temperature, and the surrounding particles would have to be, and it would continue onward.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
There can never be no motion - the quantum uncertainty principal doesn't allow for it. It velocity was known to be zero with absolute certainty, then the error in position becomes infinite. Absolute zero is generally considered to be impossible.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If it stopped moving completely, you could not see for yourself that it had stopped moving, and remained in its same location, even knowing it's velocity?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
You'd know it was still, but it could anywhere in the entire universe. Arguably, it would have no definable location at all. Have you ever heard of quantum tunneling? Where a particle passes through a potential barrier that is too high for it to breach in conventional mechanics, due to the uncertainty in its location? In this case the absolute zero particle has an equal probibility of being anywhere. If you managed to pin its location down at all, it could no longer have zero motion, and would nolonger be at absolute zero.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Absolute zero is an idea. Yet an idea can never be absolute zero!

It's all relative. ;)

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ thank you for your incredibly helpful insight :yes:

Andy: I haven't heard of that. The highest science I am in is chemistry.

But, I have heard of it now. So, absolute zero is absolutely, 100% impossible?

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If it stopped moving completely, you could not see for yourself that it had stopped moving, and remained in its same location, even knowing it's velocity?

"The same location"? You can never fully identify its location either. We're talking about possibilities, the particle is more likely to be "here" than "there" but you may never know for sure.

It would never stop moving completely. Absolute zero is a theoretical concept, it seems to be impossible.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How would something even get that cold?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yup. It has not practical or theoretical application whatsoever. Just a philosophical application.

One can argue that absolute zero exists in every one point of the universe at any one time. But never in two places at once.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
New question: is time continuous?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Andy: I haven't heard of that. The highest science I am in is chemistry.

But, I have heard of it now. So, absolute zero is absolutely, 100% impossible?

Absolutely correct.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK guys, something has stuck in my head (ouch). How cold is it on a black hole's event horizon?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK guys, something has stuck in my head (ouch). How cold is it on a black hole's event horizon?

I have no idea. Time to google! Although how could we know? Shouldn't it be incredibly cold, if heat is energy and all energy gets sucked into the black hole?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Follow up question. Does time actually exist? Or is it just a means to understanding relative movement?

:devil:

As for the black hole. I'd say a black hole is temperatureless. However, the particles swallowed by a black hole generate heat. The black hole itself is completely unrelated to those physics. But if a black hole sucks in lightwaves too, what effect would that have on temperature? That's more interesting. :O

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Follow up question. Does time actually exist? Or is it just a means to understanding relative movement?

:devil:

As for the black hole. I'd say a black hole is temperatureless. However, the particles swallowed by a black hole generate heat. The black hole itself is completely unrelated to those physics. But if a black hole sucks in lightwaves too, what effect would that have on temperature? That's more interesting. :O

There is the theory that time has spaces, just like even the most solid of things have spaces.

How can something be temperatureless? I can't understand that.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There is the theory that time has spaces, just like even the most solid of things have spaces.

How can something be temperatureless? I can't understand that.

The notion of the black hole itself isn't something material and thus does not relate to any aspect that affects matter. A black hole is just an effect on matter, matter itself does not describe the black hole. Is what I mean.

I'm just saying, if a black hole also swallows heat. The build up of heat in the core of the black hole would be astronomically huge. If there is a limit to how much energy a black hole can store. The long build up and eventual cataclysmic blast, would be big-bang-like huge. Not that I know what big-bang-like huge is. Just saying. It's huuuuge.

A theory that time has spaces? (And thus also exists in matter?) Not buying it, haha. Interested in reading about it, but seems like a ton of bogus to me. No offense. :p

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If a black hole stores a certain amount of mass and thus has a certain amount of gravitational pull, but stores more power in energy from lightwaves, creating the pressure outwards bigger than the pressure inwards. Could a black hole explode?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Black holes do explode, I am pretty sure. I get what you are saying about the effect on matter. Black holes are just gravitational forces.

And I don't take offense. There is a book called My Big TOE (theory of everything), and my mom was telling me about it and I think that was in it.

ubiquitous1

Since time is a measurement, I would think the density property of real numbers would apply; meaning time would be continuous. However, if you ever find the elusive absolute 0, you may find a point where time is not continuous.