Thread: Absolute Zero

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous1 View Post
    Since time is a measurement, I would think the density property of real numbers would apply; meaning time would be continuous. However, if you ever find the elusive absolute 0, you may find a point where time is not continuous.
    Okay. Time to get the elephant gun and capture this zero!!!!

Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Would all motion stop, all over the world, if we reached it here on earth?

My chemistry teacher was telling us about how some people are worried that if they reached absolute zero that will happen. Of course, someone asked "what if it were in a closed container". His response was that would mean the container would have to be the same temperature, and the surrounding particles would have to be, and it would continue onward.
    Well, when you consider that heat itself is the motion of atoms, (even in "at rest" objects) then yes, in absolute zero, there would be no motion. And then, "motion" can only be defined relative to other objects anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    OK guys, something has stuck in my head (ouch). How cold is it on a black hole's event horizon?
    I would think it would be pretty hot from all the superheated gases streaming in, plus all the focused (from being caught in orbits), blueshifted photon radiation (which would likely push all light into the UV/X/Gamma range). That's what would vaporizes us long before we could enter a black hole!
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    OK guys, something has stuck in my head (ouch). How cold is it on a black hole's event horizon?
    I don't think you can measure the temperature of an event horizon since it isn't tangible.

Just outside the event horizon, it's typically hot due to all the matter being sucked in. If there was no matter to suck in, I would imagine it would be pretty cold, but no colder than any other point in "empty" space.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't think you can measure the temperature of an event horizon since it isn't tangible.

Just outside the event horizon, it's typically hot due to all the matter being sucked in. If there was no matter to suck in, I would imagine it would be pretty cold, but no colder than any other point in "empty" space.
    If theres no matter to pull into the black hole, there would not be any motion either, so would mean absolute zero. Unfortunately, Stephen Hawking had said that black holes emit radiation which supprisingly enought is call "hawking radiation."

From what i got from his explanation, "hawking radiation" is from the black hole body and cause by mass escaping the black hole via quantum effect. I don't understand enough of quantum mechanic to get into details, when i try to read a book about it...all i see are equations which you need calculus to understand. I'm trying to learn calculus by myself to understand QM, but it's a tiring task sigh.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    If theres no matter to pull into the black hole, there would not be any motion either, so would mean absolute zero.
    You're forgetting about photons. I suppose I should have said particles with mass.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You're forgetting about photons. I suppose I should have said particles with mass.
    A black hole would pull everything including light, so i was under the impression that it would be empty space, meaning not even light would be present.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

My chemistry teacher was telling us about how some people are worried that if they reached absolute zero that will happen. Of course, someone asked "what if it were in a closed container". His response was that would mean the container would have to be the same temperature, and the surrounding particles would have to be, and it would continue onward.
    Matter is densely compact energy.

Energy is defined by motion.

Kelvin is a temperature unit which is directly proportional to kinetic energy.

Therefore, zero Kelvin = zero energy = zero motion.

So yes, in short, there would be no motion, no matter, no nothing, if something were to reach absolute zero. Reaching absolute zero cannot be done. It's an asymptote and will never be crossed.

It doesn't make much sense to say something reaches absolute zero, because once absolute zero is reached, there are no somethings left; all you have is nothing.

MBTI
    INTx

That sounds a bit silly. If you had a hypothetical bowling ball at absolute zero temperature, and threw a tennis ball at it, some of the energy would transfer over on impact. And if the bowling ball couldn't absorb any energy for some reason, then the tennis ball wouldn't have had any energy leeched away by the interaction and the effect would be nothing. Point being, such an object wouldn't destroy the universe.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous1 View Post
    Since time is a measurement, I would think the density property of real numbers would apply; meaning time would be continuous. However, if you ever find the elusive absolute 0, you may find a point where time is not continuous.
    The density property of real numbers doesn't apply to measurements, not in an absolute sense anyway. In fact the density property is one of the least "realistic" properties of the real numbers.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The density property of real numbers doesn't apply to measurements, not in an absolute sense anyway. In fact the density property is one of the least "realistic" properties of the real numbers.
    Really? I don't understand why it wouldn't apply,but I guess I'll learn when I take discrete math. Thank you