User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Absolute Zero

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Andy: I haven't heard of that. The highest science I am in is chemistry.

But, I have heard of it now. So, absolute zero is absolutely, 100% impossible?
    Absolutely correct.

OK guys, something has stuck in my head (ouch). How cold is it on a black hole's event horizon?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    OK guys, something has stuck in my head (ouch). How cold is it on a black hole's event horizon?
    I have no idea. Time to google! Although how could we know? Shouldn't it be incredibly cold, if heat is energy and all energy gets sucked into the black hole?
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

New question: is time continuous?
    Follow up question. Does time actually exist? Or is it just a means to understanding relative movement?

As for the black hole. I'd say a black hole is temperatureless. However, the particles swallowed by a black hole generate heat. The black hole itself is completely unrelated to those physics. But if a black hole sucks in lightwaves too, what effect would that have on temperature? That's more interesting. :O
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Follow up question. Does time actually exist? Or is it just a means to understanding relative movement?

As for the black hole. I'd say a black hole is temperatureless. However, the particles swallowed by a black hole generate heat. The black hole itself is completely unrelated to those physics. But if a black hole sucks in lightwaves too, what effect would that have on temperature? That's more interesting. :O
    There is the theory that time has spaces, just like even the most solid of things have spaces.

How can something be temperatureless? I can't understand that.

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

There is the theory that time has spaces, just like even the most solid of things have spaces.

How can something be temperatureless? I can't understand that.
    The notion of the black hole itself isn't something material and thus does not relate to any aspect that affects matter. A black hole is just an effect on matter, matter itself does not describe the black hole. Is what I mean.

I'm just saying, if a black hole also swallows heat. The build up of heat in the core of the black hole would be astronomically huge. If there is a limit to how much energy a black hole can store. The long build up and eventual cataclysmic blast, would be big-bang-like huge. Not that I know what big-bang-like huge is. Just saying. It's huuuuge.

A theory that time has spaces? (And thus also exists in matter?) Not buying it, haha. Interested in reading about it, but seems like a ton of bogus to me. No offense. :P

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

If a black hole stores a certain amount of mass and thus has a certain amount of gravitational pull, but stores more power in energy from lightwaves, creating the pressure outwards bigger than the pressure inwards. Could a black hole explode?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Black holes do explode, I am pretty sure. I get what you are saying about the effect on matter. Black holes are just gravitational forces.

And I don't take offense. There is a book called My Big TOE (theory of everything), and my mom was telling me about it and I think that was in it.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Reaching absolute zero is kind of like dividing by zero. It's impossible to do, but interesting to speculate on.

I believe Planck's constant would imply that time is discrete.
    Planck constant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Since time is a measurement, I would think the density property of real numbers would apply; meaning time would be continuous. However, if you ever find the elusive absolute 0, you may find a point where time is not continuous.