User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

If one american city or Frankfurt were to tire of their skyscraper-dominated landscape they could easily conceal them by draping them in invisibility cloaks. Only downside would be keeping the cloaks clean and hinder birds from flying into the building.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Punggung View Post
    If one american city or Frankfurt were to tire of their skyscraper-dominated landscape they could easily conceal them by draping them in invisibility cloaks. Only downside would be keeping the cloaks clean and hinder birds from flying into the building.
    LOL keeping birds from flying into them!!!

I could see how that could be a large problem.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Could've sworn I posted here, must have lost focus and forgot to press the post reply button.

To create a functioning invisibility cloak there's a few things it needs to do.

1. Transporting unidirectional light from any one side to the other to support every point of view.
    2. Cover for the loss of space within the cloak.
    3. Not contaminating any of the lightwaves.

Theoretically impossible. It's like placing a ball on a hill side and expect it to slide off, rather than rolling off. Can't catch the light and show it on the other side of the cloak perfectly unidirectional. Closest is using edged prisms which can get pretty close to the naked eye, but will never be perfect. Since a circular projection of unidirectional light from all points on a cloak would contaminate one and other. And though with prisms you can avoid contamination, you still can't cover for all angles.

That said, there has to also be a processor keeping all prism locations coordinated and in check, in order to send the light waves to the prisms from the right angles.

So making an invisibility cloak would involve millions of tiny mirror prisms and lenses, some hydraulics and a computer processor. And would probably be one helluva heavy cloak.

It gets exponentially easier if the cloak is solid and fixed, and not flexible. Even though that would be just as impractical.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

What do you think is a potentially useful application of an invisibility cloak?

1. Military
    2. Rednecks can be more stealthy hunting
    3. The previously mentioned Peeping Toms
    4. Sneaking into class
    5. Sneaking out of houses
    6. Making mini ones and hiding disgusting food in there that you really do not want to eat.
    7. Fun!

What is the motivation behind creating an object that can make an object invisible in the electromagnetic spectrum??

Hiding things.

It seems like the only provided reason I can find online is that it is really cool.

I would buy one.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    What do you think is a potentially useful application of an invisibility cloak?

6. Making mini ones and hiding disgusting food in there that you really do not .

Good list, also maybe they can be woven into clothing to make anorexics look skinnier.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP

I think it'd aid in more effective plating, allowing for thicker and stronger protection without sacrificing or even increasing visibility. You could have a car with complete visibility. If the technology does mean transmitting images from one side to the other, it should also mean that it does not have to transmit images on one side, and so you could have a car/vehicle that's opaque on one side and clear on the other.

/me demands royalties now

MBTI
    NICE

An old question.

The quiz: I say nothing.

teslagirl knows. Invisibility confers absolute freedom.

Ring of Gyges - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A thought game. With ropes attached.

What are your so-called morals; how disposable are they?

And what's wrong with sneeking into the ladies' changing room, anyway?

You decide.

Warmongering no doubt. And much coinage of the realm lavished to those who successfully do –who will be devoid of conscience in the ghoulish sense no doubt.

yes id use it in the tescos muffin aisle most likely

I have become muffin, devourer of worlds...which has a lovely eloquence to it, without the mushroom cloud.
    I asked it once, "What are you doing on Earth?" It said, "Listen, if you're a mushroom, you live cheap; besides, I'm telling you, this was a very nice neighborhood until the monkeys got out of control."

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Could've sworn I posted here, must have lost focus and forgot to press the post reply button.

To create a functioning invisibility cloak there's a few things it needs to do.

1. Transporting unidirectional light from any one side to the other to support every point of view.
    2. Cover for the loss of space within the cloak.
    3. Not contaminating any of the lightwaves.

Theoretically impossible.
    It would be impossible to perfect but still theoretically possible in my opinion. You would not need super processor, just highly complex algorithm and orbs which collect and transmit light in 360 degrees (the user would also need to see what is outside of the cloak). radio waves to determine exact distance between orbs on opposing sides, etc.

the imperfections would be in the fact that processing speed will never match the speed of light so if someone is observing closely they would always notice a shape trailing. also, orbs could not fit together perfectly causing many tiny gaps which would create a peculiar shadow due to the fact that the lighting inside the cloak is slightly different from outside.

as far as applications go, i think the light redirection algorithm would have countless uses in terms of highly accurate redirection of lasers for military and industrial. the cloaking ability would be classified for military recon purposes and not likely to be available to anyone else.

Where can I obtain one of these, outside of the Wizards' realm?