User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTP

Default UK tech question

Hi

Can anyone help me understand my options.

Right now I get my internet/email and Tv through Virgin media... so £x per month... their customer services line is truly appauling in terms of delivering customers services - call centre staff seem to be on output mode and struggle to listen to your questions which I find personally loathe.

Ok my choice is to ditch my wonderful Virgin service (been with them via NTL then Telewest for c.10 years), so a big change if I make that decision.

I don't understand freeview boxes, right now I only watch terrestrial TV, Living, E4 and sky 1-3 in the main.... can I get those from freeview? I apprecaite there is a 1 off cost for buying a box but then it is one off.

Alternatively I could just change supplier... for email/TV.... which may or maynot let me get the channels I want.

Help - I don't actually know the difference and custoemr services sulk exponentially.

MBTI
    INxP

Freeview channels
    broadband providers available in your area
    website detailing the various internet packages available in the uk

Not so wonderful if you are considering changing it.

Freeview boxes are very simple to operate.

What is it exactly that you don't know the difference between?

ps. Google is your friend.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by River View Post
    Freeview channels
    broadband providers available in your area
    website detailing the various internet packages available in the uk

Not so wonderful if you are considering changing it.

Freeview boxes are very simple to operate.

What is it exactly that you don't know the difference between?

ps. Google is your friend.

Thanks for this, its just I don't get it, to be honest...

i get cable via virgin, so get a fair few channels the vast majority I never ever watch... it costs me about £10 a month, but freeview would be £100, and as you say it's pretty easy.

I will think on it a while.

Thanks, Virgin customer services are truly appauling - the most unhelpful help number

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Just got skyHD+ today. It's awesome! Comes with free phone/broadband but there is a download limit so I stuck with my existing supplier (talktalk who are excellent,btw).
    You won't get Sky channels on freeview. Or anything in HD. But you can get freesat which gives you more channels - still for a one-off payment.
    If you have a newish TV, it should have a built in freeview tuner, otherwise you can pick one up for £20 from Argos.

Personally, I hate Sky and their customer service REALLY sucks - but they do have superior product. BT vision is pretty good but really quite expensive for what you get - although there is no mthly contract for the TV stuff - kinda payperview arrangement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Just got skyHD+ today. It's awesome! Comes with free phone/broadband but there is a download limit so I stuck with my existing supplier (talktalk who are excellent,btw).
    You won't get Sky channels on freeview. Or anything in HD. But you can get freesat which gives you more channels - still for a one-off payment.
    If you have a newish TV, it should have a built in freeview tuner, otherwise you can pick one up for £20 from Argos.

Personally, I hate Sky and their customer service REALLY sucks - but they do have superior product. BT vision is pretty good but really quite expensive for what you get - although there is no mthly contract for the TV stuff - kinda payperview arrangement.
    Ok right now I have cable and a newish TV, shouldn't the TV tune the Freeview without a terestiral ariea, or will it only worth with an real areal?

Sorry told you I was a bit clueless

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Ok right now I have cable and a newish TV, shouldn't the TV tune the Freeview without a terestiral ariea, or will it only worth with an real areal?
    I thought you were canceling your cable subscription?
    To receive freeview you will need a digital aerial. You can get one installed for ~£100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.