• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

UK tech question

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hi

Can anyone help me understand my options.

Right now I get my internet/email and Tv through Virgin media... so £x per month... their customer services line is truly appauling in terms of delivering customers services - call centre staff seem to be on output mode and struggle to listen to your questions which I find personally loathe.

Ok my choice is to ditch my wonderful Virgin service (been with them via NTL then Telewest for c.10 years), so a big change if I make that decision.

I don't understand freeview boxes, right now I only watch terrestrial TV, Living, E4 and sky 1-3 in the main.... can I get those from freeview? I apprecaite there is a 1 off cost for buying a box but then it is one off.

Alternatively I could just change supplier... for email/TV.... which may or maynot let me get the channels I want.

Help - I don't actually know the difference and custoemr services sulk exponentially.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Freeview channels
broadband providers available in your area
website detailing the various internet packages available in the uk

Not so wonderful if you are considering changing it.

Freeview boxes are very simple to operate.

What is it exactly that you don't know the difference between?

ps. Google is your friend.

Thanks for this, its just I don't get it, to be honest...

i get cable via virgin, so get a fair few channels the vast majority I never ever watch... it costs me about £10 a month, but freeview would be £100, and as you say it's pretty easy.

I will think on it a while.

Thanks, Virgin customer services are truly appauling - the most unhelpful help number

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just got skyHD+ today. It's awesome! Comes with free phone/broadband but there is a download limit so I stuck with my existing supplier (talktalk who are excellent,btw).
You won't get Sky channels on freeview. Or anything in HD. But you can get freesat which gives you more channels - still for a one-off payment.
If you have a newish TV, it should have a built in freeview tuner, otherwise you can pick one up for £20 from Argos.

Personally, I hate Sky and their customer service REALLY sucks - but they do have superior product. BT vision is pretty good but really quite expensive for what you get - although there is no mthly contract for the TV stuff - kinda payperview arrangement.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Just got skyHD+ today. It's awesome! Comes with free phone/broadband but there is a download limit so I stuck with my existing supplier (talktalk who are excellent,btw).
You won't get Sky channels on freeview. Or anything in HD. But you can get freesat which gives you more channels - still for a one-off payment.
If you have a newish TV, it should have a built in freeview tuner, otherwise you can pick one up for £20 from Argos.

Personally, I hate Sky and their customer service REALLY sucks - but they do have superior product. BT vision is pretty good but really quite expensive for what you get - although there is no mthly contract for the TV stuff - kinda payperview arrangement.

Ok right now I have cable and a newish TV, shouldn't the TV tune the Freeview without a terestiral ariea, or will it only worth with an real areal?

Sorry told you I was a bit clueless

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok right now I have cable and a newish TV, shouldn't the TV tune the Freeview without a terestiral ariea, or will it only worth with an real areal?

I thought you were canceling your cable subscription?
To receive freeview you will need a digital aerial. You can get one installed for ~£100.