User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Ambidexterity

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Default Ambidexterity

The concept of left brain and right brain is probably familiar with people. The general concensus is that a person uses the opposite side of his or her brain from his or her hand. This concensus is generally why most people consider left handers to be right brain dominant. With that said, how does ambidexterity affect the functions of the brain? Does training your less dominant hand affect the way your mind works? I ask this because it seems to me that perhaps the coliation between personality type and compentence regarding hand dexterity affect behavior the same way a person with undevelop shadow function behave. Now i say this because people claim that immature personality type are imature because they have not develop their shadow functions. Now my question is:

Can the training of a person's less dominant hand affect her/his perception/behavior? And if your ambidexterious, do you feel your mind works faster than most people? Feedback/insult/jokes would be appreciated.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I am right-handed and right-brained.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Have you tried writing with your left hand? Maybe your a natural left hander. Try writing with your left hand for a month and get back with me with your result .
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    INTP

"Brain function lateralization is evident in the phenomena of right- or left-handedness and of right or left ear preference, but a person's preferred hand is not a clear indication of the location of brain function. Although 95% of right-handed people have left-hemisphere dominance for language, only 18.8% of left-handed people have right-hemisphere dominance for language function."

Lateralization of brain function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    "Brain function lateralization is evident in the phenomena of right- or left-handedness and of right or left ear preference, but a person's preferred hand is not a clear indication of the location of brain function. Although 95% of right-handed people have left-hemisphere dominance for language, only 18.8% of left-handed people have right-hemisphere dominance for language function."

Lateralization of brain function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yes, i know what wikipedia says, but i'm more interested in what you think about it . Left handed people encounter right handed people more often, so they are force to develop the left-hemisphere of the brain thus becoming more adept with it. This is the same concept with left handed people being adept with their right hand because most tools are built for right handed people.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I have no dominance at all. I generally write with my right hand but can write with my left hand or with both simultaneously. It is a good party trick. I crochet left handed but cannot do that right handed.
    It's hard to tell how being ambidextrous has affected my thought process, except that I have one heck of a time telling left from right. If you'd like to ask me questions, I'd be happy to answer.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    Yes, i know what wikipedia says, but i'm more interested in what you think about it .
    Well. I'm left-handed. I'm creative. I'm not convinced that there is a causal relationship.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    I have no dominance at all. I generally write with my right hand but can write with my left hand or with both simultaneously. It is a good party trick. I crochet left handed but cannot do that right handed.
    It's hard to tell how being ambidextrous has affected my thought process, except that I have one heck of a time telling left from right. If you'd like to ask me questions, I'd be happy to answer.
    Well since your a natural ambidexterious, i wouldn't able to make any theory since there's no benchmark. Although, you could tell me if you favor thinking creatively or logically?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    Well. I'm left-handed. I'm creative. I'm not convinced that there is a causal relationship.
    I didn't say there was any, i'm just basing it on the general assumption. The fact is creativity is hard to describe since its based on the human perception. A person's creativity has no foundation or benchmark to compare because the defination of creativity differs from person to person.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I'm a lefty, but with strong preference for right-handed scissors, throwing right-handed and chopping vegetables etc right-handed. I have played violin since early high school and bowing has developed my right hand dexterity considerably, although I certainly would not be comfortable writing with my right hand.

I have not noticed a particular difference in it affecting personality or brain function.