User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Ambidexterity

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    "Brain function lateralization is evident in the phenomena of right- or left-handedness and of right or left ear preference, but a person's preferred hand is not a clear indication of the location of brain function. Although 95% of right-handed people have left-hemisphere dominance for language, only 18.8% of left-handed people have right-hemisphere dominance for language function."

Lateralization of brain function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    A very good point.

Why?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    The concept of left brain and right brain is probably familiar with people. The general concensus is that a person uses the opposite side of his or her brain from his or her hand. This concensus is generally why most people consider left handers to be right brain dominant. With that said, how does ambidexterity affect the functions of the brain? Does training your less dominant hand affect the way your mind works? I ask this because it seems to me that perhaps the coliation between personality type and compentence regarding hand dexterity affect behavior the same way a person with undevelop shadow function behave. Now i say this because people claim that immature personality type are imature because they have not develop their shadow functions. Now my question is:

Can the training of a person's less dominant hand affect her/his perception/behavior? And if your ambidexterious, do you feel your mind works faster than most people? Feedback/insult/jokes would be appreciated.
    Nice topic. I always wondered this myself. I have a weird hand coordination set up. I write with my left hand. But do almost everything else primarily with my right hand, but can switch to my left hand for many tasks, but not all. Like I can't bat a baseball or use scissors with my left hand, but can peel, play tennis, bowl, the list goes on with whatever I prefer at the moment. I can't use a fork or spoon with my right hand. God help us if I tried to chop vegetables with my right hand. I always score "balanced" or "right brained" on those little tests. Its rather interesting. BUt not sure if it has anything to do with handedness because you see right brained/right handed people all the time.. (or so I believe.)

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    A very good point.

Why?
    Isn't language primarily a left brain function no matter what?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    The concept of left brain and right brain is probably familiar with people. The general concensus is that a person uses the opposite side of his or her brain from his or her hand. This concensus is generally why most people consider left handers to be right brain dominant. With that said, how does ambidexterity affect the functions of the brain? Does training your less dominant hand affect the way your mind works? I ask this because it seems to me that perhaps the coliation between personality type and compentence regarding hand dexterity affect behavior the same way a person with undevelop shadow function behave. Now i say this because people claim that immature personality type are imature because they have not develop their shadow functions. Now my question is:

Can the training of a person's less dominant hand affect her/his perception/behavior? And if your ambidexterious, do you feel your mind works faster than most people? Feedback/insult/jokes would be appreciated.
    I learned how to write with my left hand some years ago. I can do so with speed and proficiency. It has had no noticable effect on the way I think as far as I can see. It is quite useful in some situations.

As it happens, I'm probably dyslexic (no-one tested for that sort of thing when I was at school), so I've always had problems distinguishing between left and right. It's possible that this ambiguity made the task of becoming ambidextrous easier.

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

ambidexterity can be trained. the onyl i think that enchances specific brain functions is by doing activities that require them. if you want to strengthen your right brain, try using a map without rotating it or drawing a portrait or stop going to school (lol). although it is a learning experience for the brain and i think everyone's silly for not becoming ambidexterous. you'll be shocked how over worked your preferential hand is.
    writing with both hands at once it harder than simply using the less preferential hand. writing two sperate things is even harder. why not challenge yourself?