User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Ambidexterity

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I have over a dozen baby/small child pics (all at different stages) of me using a utensil to eat with my left hand, but none with my right hand. Yet, I'm right-handed.

The only things I do left-handed are eating (I've never eaten with my dominant hand) and teeth-brushing (I've never done that with my dominant hand either).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I batted lefty though when I played baseball and would should lefty for hockey.
    Weird! You're the first lefty I've ever met who shoots left for hockey! I swear I know about two dozen lefties and they all shoot right (though in hockey righthanded people are approaching 50/50 for shot preference).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

I do all one handed activities right handed and all two handed activities with the left. My dad and brother are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    do most americans really switch hands? i am from the United States, but i have never really paid attention to how people eat. i hold the knife in left and fork in right and never switch hands with them. i would assume that people who eat lots of steaks learn to eat this way.
    I eat that way. I've put away a few steaks in my time. I never switch.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I hold the knife in my right hand and the fork in my left and never switch hands with them.

do most americans really switch hands? i am from the United States, but i have never really paid attention to how people eat. i hold the knife in left and fork in right and never switch hands with them. i would assume that people who eat lots of steaks learn to eat this way.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    Can the training of a person's less dominant hand affect her/his perception/behavior? And if your ambidexterious, do you feel your mind works faster than most people? Feedback/insult/jokes would be appreciated.
    I am almost completely left-sided (hand, foot, eye, ear etc) with some ambidexterity for certain activities, and potential for full if I cared enough to say, practice writing with my right hand. The brain does allow for new neuropathways to be forged (neuroplasticity) by exploring unfamiliar territory so to speak. However, neuroplasticity doesn't mean blank-slate, so there are limitations.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    I am almost completely left-sided (hand, foot, eye, ear etc) with some ambidexterity for certain activities, and potential for full if I cared enough to say, practice writing with my right hand. The brain does allow for new neuropathways to be forged (neuroplasticity) by exploring unfamiliar territory so to speak. However, neuroplasticity doesn't mean blank-slate, so there are limitations.
    I agree, when writing with your inferior hand, the information of which the brain attains the signal to write is from your brain's dominant hemisphere. Therefore, the confusion of having to send signals to your inferior hand causes delays and confusions because of the brain's function to create autonomous algorithm to repeated experiences, which in this case, sending signal to the hand that's normally used for writing. This is due to the brain's ability to create involuntary responses to repeated stimuli as a process of adaptivility. I think this explains even with the knowledge to write, it's demanding to coordinate the process of writing with your inferior hand because the brain has not created those autonomous responses.

An example of these autonmous responses would be the ability to walk without thinking or the innate ability to balance in a 3 dimensional environment.

PS. Thanks for the feedback, and the info on neuroplasticity, it was an interesting read .
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I have over a dozen baby/small child pics (all at different stages) of me using a utensil to eat with my left hand, but none with my right hand. Yet, I'm right-handed.

The only things I do left-handed are eating (I've never eaten with my dominant hand) and teeth-brushing (I've never done that with my dominant hand either).
    It's called manners silly.

An individual who is learned in appropriate etiquette for items such as State dinners. One should always wield the fork with the left hand and cut their moo with the right.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

oh, dear god a learned N.

MBTI
    ENTP

I always confuse what left and right brain are supposed to be... About handiness, I'm a special one.
    I've never been taught to be righty, but I'm convinced I am because of mimicking and not because of a natural preference. If I was brought up among lefties, I probably would be lefty too.

My left side is more muscled than my right side. A doctor once asked me if I was lefty because of that. I've named my two hands: Handy (right) and Strong (left).
    Writing, drawing, using screwdriver,... -> right
    Carrying, bowling,... -> left
    Opening doors,... -> whichever is nearest and free.

Because of a bet, I ate a whole week with fork in right and knife in left hand. I didn't have any problems with that (and won the bet ).
    I never know how to fold letters and things like that - do I have to do this how I want to do it or not? 50% of the time my preferred way is also the polite one.