User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Ambidexterity

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I'm a lefty, but with strong preference for right-handed scissors, throwing right-handed and chopping vegetables etc right-handed. I have played violin since early high school and bowing has developed my right hand dexterity considerably, although I certainly would not be comfortable writing with my right hand.

I have not noticed a particular difference in it affecting personality or brain function.
    Since when did you start using your right hand? If it was at a young age, you probably wouldn't be self reflecting. Also, able to throw with your right hand comportably as well as chop vegetables sounds like you been using your right hand considerably, probably because of the abundant of right handed items. Therefore, starting violin and archery would not really affect your behavior since you're already used to using your right hand and wouldn't know the behavior changes since you would think its normal.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I learned how to write with my right hand, but I have never ever had a nice handwriting.
    Maybe I should consider trying to go left... My left hand is slightly stronger and steadier and I do many things like left-handed people do. But, there are still some things I prefer to do right-handed.

Here's a small list over things I do left-handed:
    1. Eat with knife and fork
    2. Play flute
    3. I shoot better with both rifles and pistols if I hold them left-handed
    4. This might sound stupid, but if I am in a situation where I need to react explosively, like a fight, my left arm or leg reacts quicker. I don't know this through extensive barfighting, but from MMA, Jujutsu and karate training.

My father has the exact same thing, he received lots of flak for eating with the "wrong hand" in school, and learned to write with the right hand because left-handedness was considered an ugly thing back then.
    I never got any flak, but I never actually thought about it while I was in the process of learning how to write. The instructions were given right-handed, so I did it like that.
    Maybe I need to re-learn.
    I really hate writing by hand since it looks so goddamn ugly, and it won't get better no matter how much I try to make it look nice.
    Everything is very well-written and such, but it looks like the scribbles of an eight year old if I don't put enormous effort into making every single letter acceptably good.
    Last edited by Valiant; 11-24-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I'm a left-brainer.
    I learned how to write with my right hand, but I have never ever had a nice handwriting.
    Maybe I should consider trying to go left... My left hand is slightly stronger and steadier and I do many things like left-handed people do. But, there are still some things I prefer to do right-handed.

Here's a small list over things I do left-handed:
    1. Eat with knife and fork
    2. Play flute
    3. I shoot better with both rifles and pistols if I hold them left-handed
    4. This might sound stupid, but if I am in a situation where I need to react explosively, like a fight, my left arm or leg reacts quicker. I don't know this through extensive barfighting, but from MMA, Jujutsu and karate training.

My father has the exact same thing, he received lots of flak for eating with the "wrong hand" in school, and learned to write with the right hand because left-handedness was considered an ugly thing back then.
    I never got any flak, but I never actually thought about it while I was in the process of learning how to write. The instructions were given right-handed, so I did it like that.
    Maybe I need to re-learn.
    I really hate writing by hand since it looks so goddamn ugly, and it won't get better no matter how much I try to make it look nice.
    Everything is very well-written and such, but it looks like the scribbles of an eight year old if I don't put enormous effort into making every single letter acceptably good.
    Haha, i learned to write with my left hand, because i was curious of the changes regarding my cognitive funtion. I did felt some changes, but i am unable to describe it. I did notice a change in my ability to draw and an improvement of my handwriting with my dominant hand. Maybe i'm just overthinking it, i'm weird that way.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

My dad was forced to use his right hand for writing when he was a kid. He does everything else left handed.
    One of my sisters is left handed.
    I am right handed but can switch hands on a lot of tasks... I crochet left handed, etc.
    My other two sisters are strongly right handed.
    My mom is right handed.
    What does this say to you?
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    INTP

I had a friend who was ambidextrous with writing, and it fascinated me that she had two disctinct handwritings. When I try to write with my left hand, I notice that I try to make the letters like I would with my right. With her, it looked like the handwriting of two different people.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm right hand dominant but left eye dominant. I'm not sure if this counts as ambidexterity...it's called "cross lateralization" or something like that.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I can write on a white/chalk board with my left...

It is confusing to write with both at the same time.

HURRAY!
    Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

I do everything with my left hand, except use a computer mouse/trackpad. I got used to using a right-hard mouse, and somehow that meant that once I got a trackpad, I had to do that with my right too.

I keep my fork in my left hand, and my knife in my right. I think this is considered the "European" way, so I am supper classy. I don't know if Euros do fork right/knife left or knife right/fork left... the point is this is in contrast to the "American" way, which is eat with your fork in your right hand, then switch to fork left/knife right when you want to cut... basically failing at any semblance of ambidexterity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    Since when did you start using your right hand? If it was at a young age, you probably wouldn't be self reflecting. Also, able to throw with your right hand comportably as well as chop vegetables sounds like you been using your right hand considerably, probably because of the abundant of right handed items. Therefore, starting violin and archery would not really affect your behavior since you're already used to using your right hand and wouldn't know the behavior changes since you would think its normal.
    I think I always had weirdly specific preferences for right or left hand, depending on the activity. Some of my right handed things have to do with the implements being designed for righties (ie scissors). I batted lefty though when I played baseball and would should lefty for hockey. Golfing would be fairly ambi, with a slight lefty preference. I can't get used to using a mouse on the left side.

The bowing I referred to was using a violin bow rather than the archery type. (Sorry, sometimes I forget and use language that could be misconstrued by non violin people!). I still am very clumsy using a toothbrush with my right hand, although better than I once was. I cannot write very well with my right hand, although I can quite comfortably handwrite backwards with my left hand.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i am very dominantly right-handed. i have some minor nerve damage in my left hand that prevents me from very fine and small movements, but i was dominantly right-handed long before my left was injured.
    so i do just about everything with my right.
    oh, in basketball i dribble and pass very well with my left hand, but better of course with my right.

Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    I keep my fork in my left hand, and my knife in my right. I think this is considered the "European" way, so I am supper classy. I don't know if Euros do fork right/knife left or knife right/fork left... the point is this is in contrast to the "American" way, which is eat with your fork in your right hand, then switch to fork left/knife right when you want to cut... basically failing at any semblance of ambidexterity.
    do most americans really switch hands? i am from the United States, but i have never really paid attention to how people eat. i hold the knife in left and fork in right and never switch hands with them. i would assume that people who eat lots of steaks learn to eat this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardea View Post
    I can write on a white/chalk board with my left...

It is confusing to write with both at the same time.
    my wife used to have a psychology professor who could write 2 different long and complex paragraphs at the same time, one with each hand - AND lecture out loud WHILE he was doing it!! i got to see him in action. it really blew my mind. i would never have believed such a thing was possible, it seems way to farfetched to me. but i saw him do it, and it is amazing.