12311 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Red face The human brain is getting smaller due to evolution

Alright... I found this article in a newspaper I read...
    It's in Swedish, so i'll translate it:

We are getting increasingly stupid.

Socrates. King Salomo. Buddha.
    Humanity might never become better than that.
    According to new discoveries, the human brain has been shrinking for the last 5000 years.
    The scientist John Hawks at the University of Wisconsin has data that indicates that the loss in brain mass is as much as ten percent, since the time we were hunter-gatherers, says livescience.com.
    - We can trust others in more areas, we can specialize our behavior to a larger extent and maybe we don't need our brains as much, then, says John Hawks.

This is something I find pretty funny. I usually don't put an equal sign between brain size and intelligence...
    But if you're going to be generally intelligent or even versatile, there has to be some size to it. I feel pretty good about my big head today, I must admit
    And I am quite the generalist. Coincidence? :P

Anyway. Cooperation has made humanity less versatile individually.
    I think this is type-related. If you go back to the stone age, maybe you would have found more of the now rare types?
    A guess of mine would be that ENTPs, ENTJs, and ESTPs (generalists) would probably have been awfully common back then.

Today, other types who are more specialized are super-common, roughly in relation to what is needed in society.
    We've got the scientist types. The worker types. The leader types.
    Is human cooperation and dependency upon the larger society what's causing this?
    Of course it would have been different when each man and woman depended almost solely upon himself. Then you would get a lot of the independent self-sufficient types.
    Today these same types often have a hard time fitting into society, since the rules have changed, and ENTJ, ENTP and ESTPs are still hunters who needs to be at the top of the food chain or don't participate at all.

This thread will probably get two replies or something... But I just thought this might be interesting.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Most evidence actually suggests that intelligence in developed countries has been rising. Mostly due to changing living conditions e.g. better nutrition, smaller families, more education, heterosis. The human environment today is also more complex and stimulating than during earlier times.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

INTP's developed your world. You owe us everything!!!!

(Oh and head size... yeah... only baseball caps work... seriously)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Phantonym

Maybe it's all about the quality and not the quantity?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't care to enter MBTI into this. I will say that it seems to confirm suspicions I already had about the course of human evolution.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

It isn't clear what the loss in brain mass means. Maybe we've been skimming off some of the dross, getting rid of things we no longer have use for and cutting out some mental detours. Maybe this doesn't even have anything to do with evolution; the difference in mass might be explained by our no longer having to spend as much time learning certain thought processes, for example.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    ENFJ

It just means the human brain is getting more efficient, not 'dumber'.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    I

The human brain is shrinking... okay. So how does that make us dumber? You see a correlation between the shrinking brain and decreasing intelligence? I don't see it. If anything, we are getting more intelligent as a species.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Circuits and CPUs have been getting smaller, more efficient, and more powerful since their inception. I see the human brain as developing in a similar fashion.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

Thumbs up

Smaller = more efficient... less brain cells to waste away while sitting in front of the television.