User Tag List

First 56789 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Let's step back for a moment. Perhaps the human race is not getting dumber. Even still, I severely doubt it is getting more intelligent. And perhaps this shrinking brain has nothing to do with our intelligence, in which case it's still entirely possible we are getting dumber.

Evolutionarily, I see no reason humans, as a species, would be development more individual intellgence. Our means of survival has become less and less individualistic essentially since we "began", and has accelerated in the direction as time has progressed. I repeat that the brain is expensive, and you don't keep what you don't need. So you might be right, maybe we're shedding the parts we don't need. Look at how things are going, those parts seem to be our capacity for solitary survival. We don't need those.

Any of the creatures on earth that have comperably populous masses, or acute division of labor (and there are few) are generally not regarded for their intelligence. Nearly all of them are hive insects. I suspect if every termite worker were a genius with an invidiualistic streak, it will hurt the species more than it would help. This approach was apparently more effective than other approaches, or else it would not have evolved. I simply can't fathom a reason humans would continue to develop all purpose intelligence at an individual level, given our current arrangement.

And as for our technology, that has little to do with cognitive skill, really. You could attribute most of it to written language. It was made possible only by our ability to preserve and send information. Now it appears that sets us apart from other animals, but I doubt it has improved much since we first developed it, and I doubt we suddenly had a click in our brains that granted us the ability to do it. I figure if, by some genie wish, you wiped the capacity for literacy from the human brain, we'd be neolithic people in one or two generations.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

This article explains a few things, specifically why brain size is not directly related to intelligence.

Bigger not necessarily better, when it comes to brains

"Animals with bigger brains are not necessarily more intelligent," according to Lars Chittka, Professor of Sensory and Behavioural Ecology at Queen Mary's Research Centre for Psychology and University of Cambridge colleague, Jeremy Niven. This begs the important question: what are they for?
    Research repeatedly shows how insects are capable of some intelligent behaviours scientists previously thought was unique to larger animals. Honeybees, for example, can count, categorise similar objects like dogs or human faces, understand 'same' and 'different', and differentiate between shapes that are symmetrical and asymmetrical.
    "We know that body size is the single best way to predict an animal's brain size," explains Chittka, writing in the journal Current Biology. "However, contrary to popular belief, we can't say that brain size predicts their capacity for intelligent behaviour."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Actually the pyramids are made out of a kind of limestone cement.
    There are quite a few references on the subject. It's recent news.
    Some of the blocks were indeed carved, but many were cement.
    That vastly reduces the size of the workforce. They could cast them in place just carrying buckets and crushed limestone.

Pyramid: Cement and Concrete expert agrees!

Riddle Of The Great Pyramids Of Giza: Professor Finds Some Building Blocks Were Concrete

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Can I be the collective hive brain for humanity?

Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Can I be the collective hive brain for humanity?

It doesn't work anything like that, buddy-boy.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Whoever entertains the idea of such a radical collectivist path of evolution for mankind as being a favorable form of existence is my mortal philosophical enemy. I'm serious...

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Whoever entertains the idea of such a radical collectivist path of evolution for mankind as being a favorable form of existence is my mortal philosophical enemy. I'm serious...
    Let me be clear. I'm not talking about it being favorable in anyway that might phisosphically make sense to a human. Evolution doesn't care about what you think, though. There are animals all over this planet that live in ways that you or me might consider dreadful ways to live. They are here though, because that way ensured their survival.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    This article explains a few things, specifically why brain size is not directly related to intelligence.

Bigger not necessarily better, when it comes to brains

"Animals with bigger brains are not necessarily more intelligent," according to Lars Chittka, Professor of Sensory and Behavioural Ecology at Queen Mary's Research Centre for Psychology and University of Cambridge colleague, Jeremy Niven. This begs the important question: what are they for?
    Research repeatedly shows how insects are capable of some intelligent behaviours scientists previously thought was unique to larger animals. Honeybees, for example, can count, categorise similar objects like dogs or human faces, understand 'same' and 'different', and differentiate between shapes that are symmetrical and asymmetrical.
    "We know that body size is the single best way to predict an animal's brain size," explains Chittka, writing in the journal Current Biology. "However, contrary to popular belief, we can't say that brain size predicts their capacity for intelligent behaviour."
    Agreed. Makes sense.

(Good thing I don't have a big head.)

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

I doubt that we are experiencing a process of dumbing down. If the mean correlation between brain size and intelligence was high, then neanderthals would have been exceptionally intelligent, as they had approximately between 400-800 grams more brain mass then the average human who has between 1300-1400 kilograms of brain on average(100 grams less for women, since they have smaller statures), but they weren't, they were also shorter, and had a higher Brain to body ratio which is also traditionally correlated with intelligence in mammal species(having a larger brain means having a higher intelligence), but it was not the case. Neanderthals were stupid enough to not be able to adapt to the climate as our ancestors did, and drew the short strew in evolutionary competition, leading to their extinction. Also i think an explanation for the larger brain size of pre-historic homo sapiens, is that because of their protein based diet, it could've effect their average height, by making them taller, thus allowing them to have a greater muscular capacity which was necessary for things like hunting large prey, surviving and disease coping. And being larger, it is only reasonable to assume, that you're brain will correspond equally by being larger.

Infact i think that having a larger brain makes you dumber unless you have a higher neuron count on average, in which case a larger brain could be an advantage. Having a smaller brain means that the neuron density is higher, it also means that the neuroplasticity would accelerate at a faster rate.

I think rather then dumbing down, we are actually becoming more and more intelligent, as genotypes for intelligence are being more and more selected. Not just because of the accumulation of knowledge, but also because mental simulation, sufficient nutrition, education, market competitiveness is forcing the curve upward, in all of the world.

In fact modern day lifestyles with all of it's aspects, is far more demanding cognitively today in order to maintain then before. We have more writers, scientist's, philosophers, mathematicians, physicists then ever. While most of these might not be exceptional, they still excel enough to be adequate, which is by far speaks of how far the modern human being has gone. And no.. professions are not solely driven by being retaining information, we have far more complex machinations ongoing, like problem solving, comprehension, spatial perception, planning, reasoning, analysis, logic, which are all more or less a part of our daily lives, even if we have simple tasks as street sweepers or garbage collectors. Our societies are becoming more and more complex.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Doublepost
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."