User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Lightbulb Mind blown: Neanderthal Predation theory

Just came across this article on the Neanderthal Predation theory: Them and Us: How Neanderthal predation created modern humans - new book and theory of human origins

Obviously, it could be hogwash, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

ut aside everything you thought you knew about being human - about how we got here and what it all means. After five years of rigorous scientific research, Danny Vendramini has developed a theory of human origins that is stunning in its simplicity, yet breathtaking in its scope and importance.

Them and Us: how Neanderthal predation created modern humans begins with a radical reassessment of Neanderthal behavioural ecology. He cites new archaeological and genetic evidence to show they weren't docile omnivores, but savage, cannibalistic carnivores - top flight predators of the stone age.

Neanderthal Predation (NP) theory reveals that Neanderthals were 'apex' predators - who resided at the top of the food chain, and everything else - including humans - was their prey.

NP theory is one of those groundbreaking ideas that revolutionizes scientific thinking. It represents a quantum leap in our understanding of human origins.
    Depiction of neanderthals:

What do you think? Crankery?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

It is fascinating, indeed.

... Kind of reminds me of what I was told about a species that will (apparently) savage every person's lives in the 'end of times' - according to the teachings of a religion I used to believe. They're called Gog Magog.

Interestingly, they existed a long time ago, and savaged people back then; before a kind of two-horned Angel sentenced them to some pit where they were seized from freedom.

Given what we've come to know about the Neanderthal (now) - who knows, the Neanderthal could be them...

(Dun dun dunnnNNN.)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    ... Hmm, seems grizzly enough to (reputably) devour an average human being.

This really is interesting. So, assuming they aren't these Gog Magog - given they were these BIG BAD CARNIVORES, how the hell did they die out? They would have had plenty of meat in us; whom lived on to be...

(What happened; they found a taste for killer dinosaurs, or something? )

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

and to follow up:

neanderthals were stronger and potentially every bit as smart. why did they die out? they required too many calories and couldnt sustain themselves.

so if there had been enough food, would we be here?
    Last edited by Venom; 11-14-2009 at 04:18 AM.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I don't know. Had they gone on an overload with the calories, they could have decided to ease with the munching, and done more with activity by outdoing the humans whom in-time done so on them by taking over the planet - assuming they were (potentially) as smart as us; as you said. Doesn't sound like it had anything to do with them dying out.

... Unless you got some scientific 'mambo jumbo'?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

the "they needed too many calories" is a legit argument ive read before.

but who the hell knows :P id imagine there was some sort of food shortage that made their caloric intake a disadvantage
    Last edited by Venom; 11-14-2009 at 04:18 AM.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    the "they needed too many calories" is a legit argument ive read before.
    ... woah, you said 'too many calories' to sustain themselves - by which we take you meant they already HAD too many calories.

Want to clarify?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It's interesting, but I'd really like to hear a counter argument against the Neanderthal predation theory. Couldn't find something critical of it after a quick search, though it's a new theory. If anyone finds anything, you should post it.

It's funny to see how Stormfront is reacting to this.
    Neanderthal - brutal, man eating rapists? - Stormfront

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

^^ Woah, that sounded... epic.

(I'm going to think about this.)

The Neanderthal Predation theory was an interesting read. I wonder how well Vendramini's hypothesis has been tested. It seems, if nothing else, he has made his hypothesis rather specific--hopefully specific enough to be tested.

However, I always find it suspicious when new ideas go directly to the public, in book form, rather than in chunks through journals.

Vendramini calls himself a "theoretical biologist." I had no idea there were such people. It is encouraging to know that biology also has people willing to be called loonies.

He seems to have some support from colleagues--at least a forensic artist.

-----------

He also has another idea out there called Teem Theory--the theory that there is a second type of evolution that allows the environment to "instruct" evolution through "junk DNA" (I presume he means introns).

second-evolution_index

He says this is not Lamarckian evolution. Teem Theory does not claim that acquired physical characteristics are transfered. Rather, it claims behaviors and emotional responses are--through a mechanism called Trauma Encoded Emotional Memory. Vendramini says that this only works in organisms that have Central Nervous Systems.

-----------

Both Neanderthal Predation and Teemosis seem like rather bold claims to me. Though, my initial impression is that he has more direct support for Neanderthal Predation.

These topics are well outside my usual circles of investigation. So I refrain from passing judgment on the ideas. I just have my initial impressions. I have no clue if these are crackpot ideas or not.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield