• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I have a questions. no?

LEGERdeMAIN

How long a drop would be needed to break the neck of a 155lb male? It can't be too long because he doesn't want his head to pop off, it just needs to be long enough to cause the neck to break and cause paralysis. A standard noose of nylon rope would be used. I don't just want an answer, though, I want to know how you figure it out. Thanks!

P

Phantonym

:thelook:

WTF kind of question is that?

My thoughts exactly.

As to the OP. Why the rope? People break their necks all the time jumping head first to a shallow pool. This has nothing to do with the length of the fall, it's all about the misfortunate contact between the ground and the head.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Sounds like a question for some Emo, "I want to kill myself" forum. Not here.

I don't think I need to mention the stupidity of anyone answering the original question, with actual equations, on a public forum.

:rolli:

LEGERdeMAIN

I was just curious if there was some kind of formula used to determine how long one must fall before the rope actually can break the neck. I was watching a documentary once about lynchings and it seems the redneck kkkers just beat the crap out of the victims, tied a rope around the neck and let the guy suffocate. But the goal of legal hangings seemed to be the paralysis or instant death of the victim(criminal). Anyway, I know that if you just put a noose around your neck and fall two feet that it won't break your neck, so I was wondering how they figured out how to hang someone without making them suffer(suffocate) and how much of a drop would be necessary to decapitate. No one else thinks of this stuff? If there was another way to ask the question I would, but I can't think of it.

LEGERdeMAIN

Sounds like a question for some Emo, "I want to kill myself" forum. Not here.

I don't think I need to mention the stupidity of anyone answering the original question, with actual equations, on a public forum.

:rolli:

I don't think it would be stupid to answer the question with actual equations. If it were an unanswerable question I wouldn't have posted it.

P

Phantonym

I was just curious if there was some kind of formula used to determine how long one must fall before the rope actually can break the neck. I was watching a documentary once about lynchings and it seems the redneck kkkers just beat the crap out of the victims, tied a rope around the neck and let the guy suffocate. But the goal of legal hangings seemed to be the paralysis or instant death of the victim(criminal). Anyway, I know that if you just put a noose around your neck and fall two feet that it won't break your neck, so I was wondering how they figured out how to hang someone without making them suffer(suffocate) and how much of a drop would be necessary to decapitate. No one else thinks of this stuff? If there was another way to ask the question I would, but I can't think of it.

Well yeah, that's how you should have started the OP. Because the one you have now seems like you're asking the forum the know-how to help yourself or your "friend" become paralyzed.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't think it would be stupid to answer the question with actual equations. If it were an unanswerable question I wouldn't have posted it.

If you had made the OP in the form of just figuring out the equation, maybe that would be fine.

But you make it sound like you want a formula for suicide, or to be paralyzed.

I doubt anyone here would want to be involved in something like that.

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I just read this on another forum yesterday:

If you tie a nylon around your neck, attach it at a roof top, then glue your hands to your head and jump down the roof it will look like you ripped your own head off.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
How long a drop would be needed to break the neck of a 155lb male? It can't be too long because he doesn't want his head to pop off, it just needs to be long enough to cause the neck to break and cause paralysis. A standard noose of nylon rope would be used. I don't just want an answer, though, I want to know how you figure it out. Thanks!

If you want to ask questions like these with impunity, I recommend you visit the NaNoWriMo forum at National Novel Writing Month.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think Wikipedia has the answer for this. Or I found it somewhere like that when I was reading about various techniques used for the death penalty.