• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A New Biology for the 21st Century

ygolo

My termites win
YouTube - A New Biology for the 21st Century, from Earth and Life Studies

[YOUTUBE="BOJHhAMFDOw"]A New Biology for the 21st Century, from Earth and Life Studies[/YOUTUBE]

A New Biology for the 21st Century: Ensuring the United States Leads the Coming Biology Revolution

Now more than ever, biology has the potential to contribute practical solutions to many of the major challenges confronting the United States and the world. A New Biology for the 21st Century recommends that a "New Biology" approach--one that depends on greater integration within biology, and closer collaboration with physical, computational, and earth scientists, mathematicians and engineers--be used to find solutions to four key societal needs: sustainable food production, ecosystem restoration, optimized biofuel production, and improvement in human health. The approach calls for a coordinated effort to leverage resources across the federal, private, and academic sectors to help meet challenges and improve the return on life science research in general.

Thoughts?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Sounds like a plan. I was especially interested in the part where they talk about education on biology needing a great emphasis. Not touching biology until high school is, in my opinion, unexcusable. You're taught a few cutesy eco-system coloring books in 2nd grade and you're shoved forever out of the world of biology until you're slammed with terminology and memorization in high school of new concepts. You get to college and you're retaught the same jam-packed courses in hopes that you'll catch the concepts a second time around in college despite of the pressure for tests and grades on courses you paid money for.

ygolo

My termites win
I am going back to school for physics...the educational omnivore in me wants to add Biology and Chemistry to the list.

I think biology is going to be vitally important in the coming years.

I was especially interested in their statement that it will also become an increasingly interdisciplinary endeavor. Bringing in physicists and engineers and such.

Qre:us

"Innovation and life science was going to be the major driver for meeting 4 major [societal] challenges:

- climate
- food
- energy
- health [challenges of treating and preventing disease, maintaining health, individualized healthcare]**

+ economically, these 4 represent over 50% of the total GDP of USA."

** my specific interest, the bolded. (esp. preventative healthcare)

It's a symphony of interdiciplinary inquiry/research. I can't wait to see the resulting innovations.

I also like that they're finally acknowledging that although there [is]was merit to specialized disciplines...to 'hone' skill, that, it's equally important to [in parallel] find how all these seemingly 'unrelated' fields associate with one another (life meets physical sciences). End of the day: understand better, life. And, how best to impact it.

I hope Canada gets something like this. :)

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
Biology will be big, no doubt.

Feynman, my (and in all probability your) favorite physicist, was an excited physics to biology convert. And lest we forget Schroedinger, who wrote the magnificent tour de force biology treatise "What is Life?"

Le Grande Muffin

I watched this a while ago, and incidentally read this post and thought about posting. alas the M&S Chardonnay (Australian - blasphemer no doubt) plonk which was bequeathed to I clearly by a relative with a grudge will be cracked upon vis the medium of a screw top cometh the 12pm..xmas
and guzzled, verily and merrily.

where was I yes I thouight it was pantaloons spake without foundation, fact or humour...so if thats is why you are asking for thoughts thence you more than likely have my answer

I have become muffin devourer of worlds

i think it wouldve been slightly better if you discussed a point raised by this detritus matter and expect none with a brain or the sheer volume of my bored time 9which is, well frankly about it all) to entertain it or make it past 5mins

good day sir

oh merry xmas everyone :)
x