User Tag List

View Poll Results: Feel like you were used for Beta testing?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 21.21%
  • No

    14 42.42%
  • Other (please explain)

    12 36.36%
First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 55

  1. #41
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Athenian... you should have said...

    Vista is fine. Saying it's bloated is like complaining that you don't get 35mpg with your foot welded to the mat in a car. Just turn off select features and it runs fine.

    Vista IS marginally slower than XP but then again how much more does it do? Try fixing a PC with a boot problem in XP and suddenly you're plunged into DOS... not nice. Vista, put in the disk and run the boot repair. Works two out of three times for me and that's saying something.

    As for Windows 7, it IS Vista. Sure it's an upgrade but there again you don't seriously expect MS to give it away when it's such an upgrade it alters half the core systems?

    Another point, I wonder how many on this thread who are trying to weigh up XP and Vista are still stuck in 32bit land. Personally I had 64bit XP, 64bit Vista and I'm now on 64bit Windows 7 but it seems like most people still think that 64bit is for professionals or people with powerful computers... it's just daft.

    XP<Vista<Win7. It's called progress. If you're still using XP then how old are your security measures? New antivirus? That's nice, you've still got back doors which people have had a looong time to discover.

    Oh and Win7 vs XP. Win7 is faster, more secure, prettier, does DX10 and DX11 soon I think... the only thing you lose is needing a computer made this century and needing to get rid of your 32bit security blanket.

    Edit - I should point out that I'm no fan of MS. I've had problems with every OS they've ever made. But then again I've tried Linux *shudders* and Macs just seem too proprietary for my tinkering tastes. I am currently running a desktop with Win7 and a laptop with Vista. Thus far the Vista laptop has been the most reliable runner of any computer I've used, bar none.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  2. #42
    Senior Member vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Basically, people who stuck to XP and resisted Vista for the last couple of years are the winners.
    you mean whiners ?

    I work as network administrator. We have about 70 PCs of which 40 are running Vista (the other 30 are XPs). The only problems we ever had were some initial printer driver & indexing issues but after SP1 everything ran smooth.
    The whole Vista-bashing was just some sort of mass psychosis or negative hype if you will. The annoying consequence of that is that after 2 years of Vista the main vendors starting shipping XP on their machines again instead of Vista, because they got sick of all the whining.
    Since Windows 2000 there hasn't been a bad Windows. End of story.

  3. #43
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Had vista since day one.

    Never a crash, never a problem in performance, never an issue with compatibility.

    I never had that much trouble with any windows. But windows 95 I used to reinstall every month, 98 every two months, Windows ME was hell and, 2k was annoying, XP was decent but occasionally had some run ins and needed some messing about in registery and such to keep running problemlessly.

    Vista, not a smudge. Runs perfectly for me.

    I got Vista 64 bit on a Toshiba Qosmio X300 laptop upgraded to 8gb ddr though. I can imagine that running vista on an older PC might give problems. But then it's not Vista that is the issue, but your PC.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  4. #44
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    Athenian, you are awesome.

    On a second note, you neglected to mention windows 2000. It was the first windows I loved, and I've seen them all from 2.0.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #45
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Athenian... you should have said...

    Vista is fine. Saying it's bloated is like complaining that you don't get 35mpg with your foot welded to the mat in a car. Just turn off select features and it runs fine.

    Vista IS marginally slower than XP but then again how much more does it do? Try fixing a PC with a boot problem in XP and suddenly you're plunged into DOS... not nice. Vista, put in the disk and run the boot repair. Works two out of three times for me and that's saying something.
    I don't particularly care about security or all the protection features they added, honestly. I care about running browsers and games. And that thing about "select features" isn't true. I disabled almost all the features, and it STILL used up way too much memory (more than half on boot), applications took 10 seconds to load. The only way I could make it work well was to go into the registry and disable almost all services, replace explorer.exe with a lighter shell, and run one application at a time. This got it down to 40% of system memory. This was on a 4GB system with a Core 2 processor, running the 32-bit version of Vista.

    And it's not DOS, not technically. It looks similar, but it's still a 32-bit environment. The downside is that it's harder to access the recovery console if you need to do something the automatic boot repair can't do.

    As for Windows 7, it IS Vista. Sure it's an upgrade but there again you don't seriously expect MS to give it away when it's such an upgrade it alters half the core systems?
    I've seen Service Packs for XP alter that much of the core system. As well as Windows 98.

    XP<Vista<Win7. It's called progress. If you're still using XP then how old are your security measures? New antivirus? That's nice, you've still got back doors which people have had a looong time to discover.
    Don't change the issue. It's not about progress, it's about Vista being a sub-par operating system that was released prematurely, and Windows 7 being what Vista should have been in the first place. It was released just TWO years ago, and they're already replacing it and demanding payment for the upgrade. If you take into account the fact that most people wait for SP1 before upgrading, then it was really only considered a viable upgrade last year!

    So, someone who bought Vista in 2008, hoping they'd eventually patch it up and release service packs... pretty much got screwed because now they've got to buy Windows 7 to have their issues addressed. And the OS is only a year old for them.

    Now, how long has Microsoft released Service Packs for Operating Systems before releasing a new one in the past? Usually at least 3 or 4 years.

    Progress is good, but Windows Vista wasn't progress. It was a regression that they've just now reversed.

    Granted, it's possible my perspective is biased because I only used 32-bit Vista, and am using 64-bit Windows 7 (though I had a 64-bit processor all along). Although since I'm still running mostly 32-bit applications (thanks to no one making 64-bit software), I'd be surprised if switching to the 64-bit OS had resulted in a performance boost. I also used 32-bit XP on another Core 2 system, and I can tell you it definitely worked better than 32-bit Vista did. It might also have something to do with my Dad preloading it with a lot of stuff I didn't need or want, even though I disabled or removed most of it.
    Oh and Win7 vs XP. Win7 is faster, more secure, prettier, does DX10 and DX11 soon I think... the only thing you lose is needing a computer made this century and needing to get rid of your 32bit security blanket.
    I agree with that. Windows 7 is WAY better than XP. I can't imagine why anyone would stick with XP now. I do wish I had stuck with it rather than suffering with Vista for the past two years, trying my best to disable the new functionality right and left to make it even halfway as good as XP.
    Edit - I should point out that I'm no fan of MS. I've had problems with every OS they've ever made. But then again I've tried Linux *shudders* and Macs just seem too proprietary for my tinkering tastes. I am currently running a desktop with Win7 and a laptop with Vista. Thus far the Vista laptop has been the most reliable runner of any computer I've used, bar none.
    Well, I haven't used Vista on a laptop. Come to think of it, it does seem like it would be a much better OS for laptops. Maybe it was a desktop issue.

  6. #46
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I don't particularly care about security or all the protection features they added, honestly. I care about running browsers and games. And that thing about "select features" isn't true. I disabled almost all the features, and it STILL used up way too much memory (more than half on boot), applications took 10 seconds to load. The only way I could make it work well was to go into the registry and disable almost all services, replace explorer.exe with a lighter shell, and run one application at a time. This got it down to 40% of system memory. This was on a 4GB system with a Core 2 processor, running the 32-bit version of Vista.
    Something is wrong. Not just unoptimised but actually wrong. Sound like one hell of a memory leak.

    To put it in context, mine used to run with less that 2Gb of memory and the only reason I took it off was that Battlefield didn't play nicely with it and Win7 has exactly the same problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    And it's not DOS, not technically. It looks similar, but it's still a 32-bit environment. The downside is that it's harder to access the recovery console if you need to do something the automatic boot repair can't do.
    run c://executepedant.exe


    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I've seen Service Packs for XP alter that much of the core system. As well as Windows 98.
    Find one that adds DX10.

    Find one that adds support for SSDs and not just trim.

    Sure they alter the core but this would be an overhaul and a half!
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Don't change the issue. It's not about progress, it's about Vista being a sub-par operating system that was released prematurely, and Windows 7 being what Vista should have been in the first place. It was released just TWO years ago, and they're already replacing it and demanding payment for the upgrade. If you take into account the fact that most people wait for SP1 before upgrading, then it was really only considered a viable upgrade last year!
    Windows 98 vs 98SE. Windows ME for god's sake!! Vista isn't unusual and nor is it half as bad as people make out.

    In fact if people had stopped whining right from the start then the real tech support would have worked. The problem with Vista wasn't anything to do with the tech it was the media trying to make a quick killing. If they'd STFU then people would have been looking for a solution instead of a scapegoat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    So, someone who bought Vista in 2008, hoping they'd eventually patch it up and release service packs... pretty much got screwed because now they've got to buy Windows 7 to have their issues addressed. And the OS is only a year old for them.
    Vista has been fine since service pack 1.... similarly to XP in fact. There's no good reason it shouldn't work perfectly fine now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Now, how long has Microsoft released Service Packs for Operating Systems before releasing a new one in the past? Usually at least 3 or 4 years.
    Errm huh? I hadn't heard that Vista was up for the chop imminently.

    Oh and if you'd bought XP64 then you'd still get updates well into the future thanks to it being server 2003 under disguise!
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Progress is good, but Windows Vista wasn't progress. It was a regression that they've just now reversed.
    Ah well that's where you're most wrong, Windows 7 is like Vista version 2. It keeps a whole slew of the features, just made lighter and less "new".

    Basically Vista was all new, all shiny. People screamed they couldn't find their arse with both hands and a flshlight so they made Windows 7. It keeps the shine... well most of it but it also is easier to adapt to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Granted, it's possible my perspective is biased because I only used 32-bit Vista, and am using 64-bit Windows 7 (though I had a 64-bit processor all along). Although since I'm still running mostly 32-bit applications (thanks to no one making 64-bit software), I'd be surprised if switching to the 64-bit OS had resulted in a performance boost. I also used 32-bit XP on another Core 2 system, and I can tell you it definitely worked better than 32-bit Vista did. It might also have something to do with my Dad preloading it with a lot of stuff I didn't need or want, even though I disabled or removed most of it.
    Norton?

    Anyway 32bit is purely provided for dinosaurs and the paranoid. Seriously. But if you want to get technical, your processor isn't 64 bit. It's emulated 64 bit, so no you've not got proper 64 bit yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I agree with that. Windows 7 is WAY better than XP. I can't imagine why anyone would stick with XP now. I do wish I had stuck with it rather than suffering with Vista for the past two years, trying my best to disable the new functionality right and left to make it even halfway as good as XP.
    Errm some people are still sticking with XP. Some just put their hands over their eyes and declare it's not happening cause they can't see it.

    Reminds me of when I suggested diskeeper to a friend only to be told that he didn't want any fancy defragging software as he'd just got all his files where he wanted them.

    Just because you cans witch one on does not make you good enough to use one responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, I haven't used Vista on a laptop. Come to think of it, it does seem like it would be a much better OS for laptops. Maybe it was a desktop issue.
    Nah... it's probably a hardware issue or a registry error (like having entries marked as Symantec or something). Basically Vista was good for integration, that's good for all multi media machines... especially laptops where you just don't have the room to have everything as separates like some Technics HiFi.

    Seriously though, if you have to continue using Vista, check the memory and the motherboard. Reinstall. Then make friends with tweakguides.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  7. #47
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Something is wrong. Not just unoptimised but actually wrong. Sound like one hell of a memory leak.

    To put it in context, mine used to run with less that 2Gb of memory and the only reason I took it off was that Battlefield didn't play nicely with it and Win7 has exactly the same problem.
    Yeah, I think maybe it has something to do with how it was set up. I didn't install it.

    run c://executepedant.exe

    Okay, fine, you got me. I've never tried to recover from boot errors on Vista before. If I had, I probably would have figured that out.
    Find one that adds DX10.

    Find one that adds support for SSDs and not just trim.

    Sure they alter the core but this would be an overhaul and a half!

    Windows 98 vs 98SE. Windows ME for god's sake!! Vista isn't unusual and nor is it half as bad as people make out.

    In fact if people had stopped whining right from the start then the real tech support would have worked. The problem with Vista wasn't anything to do with the tech it was the media trying to make a quick killing. If they'd STFU then people would have been looking for a solution instead of a scapegoat.

    Vista has been fine since service pack 1.... similarly to XP in fact. There's no good reason it shouldn't work perfectly fine now.

    Errm huh? I hadn't heard that Vista was up for the chop imminently.

    Oh and if you'd bought XP64 then you'd still get updates well into the future thanks to it being server 2003 under disguise!

    Ah well that's where you're most wrong, Windows 7 is like Vista version 2. It keeps a whole slew of the features, just made lighter and less "new".

    Basically Vista was all new, all shiny. People screamed they couldn't find their arse with both hands and a flshlight so they made Windows 7. It keeps the shine... well most of it but it also is easier to adapt to.
    Oh, I see. Come to think of it, my upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows 98SE wasn't an official patch, but it worked just as well as the real thing...

    Well, the thing is, Vista is going to be cut rather shortly. Windows 7 has lots of tweaks and features that make it too attractive of an upgrade from Vista. It isn't like most versions where they just add useless multimedia features that increase the hardware requirements, this time they made it faster and better.

    I'm realizing just how much I miss Windows 7 now that I'm over here at someone else's place trying to use XP again. I've only had it for a few weeks and I'm already spoiled to the new interface, shortcut keys, and powershell.

    Norton?

    Anyway 32bit is purely provided for dinosaurs and the paranoid. Seriously. But if you want to get technical, your processor isn't 64 bit. It's emulated 64 bit, so no you've not got proper 64 bit yet.
    So, the Core 2 Duo isn't actually a 64-bit processor, but emulated 64-bit? Hmm... I didn't know that.

    Yeah, he loaded Norton, Webroot, and something called Trend Micro. I removed them all because they were eating 20% of my memory, slowing down my games, and they weren't detecting any viruses. The few viruses I got, it didn't detect and I had to find out about them from Microsoft or computer news sites. Those third-party antiviruses aren't all they're cracked up to be.

    Errm some people are still sticking with XP. Some just put their hands over their eyes and declare it's not happening cause they can't see it.

    Reminds me of when I suggested diskeeper to a friend only to be told that he didn't want any fancy defragging software as he'd just got all his files where he wanted them.

    Just because you cans witch one on does not make you good enough to use one responsibly
    Indeed. Disk Fragmentation has nothing to do with file organization.

    Nah... it's probably a hardware issue or a registry error (like having entries marked as Symantec or something). Basically Vista was good for integration, that's good for all multi media machines... especially laptops where you just don't have the room to have everything as separates like some Technics HiFi.

    Seriously though, if you have to continue using Vista, check the memory and the motherboard. Reinstall. Then make friends with tweakguides.
    Yeah. I probably could have put more work into it. But I don't really have to use Vista anymore since I got Windows 7. I honestly think part of the reason I hated it was because my Dad installed it, and I usually prefer to find fault with the things he does rather than find ways to make them work. When I installed my own copy of Windows on there, it worked better... perhaps because I put more effort into optimizing it and figuring out what it could do initially.

  8. #48
    Playnerd Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    896

    Default

    This thread title made me laugh!

    Ehem...



    APPLE 4 LYFE DAWG!



    Snow Leopard in da' house bizzatch!

  9. #49
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Yeah, I think maybe it has something to do with how it was set up. I didn't install it.
    Mistake #1
    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Yeah, he loaded Norton, Webroot, and something called Trend Micro. I removed them all because they were eating 20% of my memory, slowing down my games, and they weren't detecting any viruses. The few viruses I got, it didn't detect and I had to find out about them from Microsoft or computer news sites. Those third-party antiviruses aren't all they're cracked up to be.
    Mistake #2

    Never install more than one antivirus unless you run one for deep scans once in a while and disable the other while it does it. Otherwise they fight.

    Never let someone else install stuff on your PC. HUGE mistake. Last time I did that I ended up with one of those stupid search bars on my browser.

    That reminds me, I do so hope you're using chrome or firefox x64 by now...

    Oh and you want fast and optimised... SSD FTW!!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  10. #50
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Mistake #1
    I wasn't given a choice. The guy insisted, and literally said, "I'm f**king this monkey, don't peek," if I tried to make any comments at all about what he was doing.

    If I'd had my way, Vista wouldn't have even been on that computer until SP1 came out. And it would have been the 64-bit version. I can run my old apps in a Virtual Machine, I learned how to do that on Linux when I wanted Windows compatibility.

    Come to think of it, I think part of the reason memory was being wasted was because I had exactly 4GB, and a video card with a lot of ram (600MB+ or something ridiculous)... meaning 32-bit addressing was probably throwing away some of my memory. Maybe half, though it claimed to recognize all of it. Argh, this reminds me of when DOS claimed to recognize all my Extended memory upon typing MEM, but it was a struggle to get it to run anything outside of that initial 640k conventional memory.
    Mistake #2

    Never install more than one antivirus unless you run one for deep scans once in a while and disable the other while it does it. Otherwise they fight.
    See, I know that. I've never had more than one antivirus on any computer I set up. Quite frequently, I don't bother to install one at all. In fact, I joke that the easiest way to detect a virus is not to install an antivirus, then know that if your system starts running as badly as it would with one for no apparent reason, that you've probably gotten a virus.
    Never let someone else install stuff on your PC. HUGE mistake. Last time I did that I ended up with one of those stupid search bars on my browser.
    Me too. I had to remove it after they left... that was the first thing I did when they weren't looking.

    That reminds me, I do so hope you're using chrome or firefox x64 by now...

    Oh and you want fast and optimised... SSD FTW!!
    Actually, I have started using Chrome, but switch back to Firefox x86 when doing secure transactions because so many people freaked out, and have screamed at me about Chrome invading privacy.

    I would use Firefox x64, but it won't even run on my computer (the latest beta of FF 3.6 beta 3 crashes on startup, and there's no "normal" version.) IE 64-bit runs fine, as do 7-Zip and Wireshark, but 64-bit FF won't run on my Windows installation. It's not even officially supported, and all I can find are lousy outdated beta/alpha builds. I think they've abandoned support for 64-bit FF for Windows. Adobe still doesn't have a 64-bit flash player for Windows, and won't anytime soon. Linux is finally getting one, though, after years of demand.

    SSD sounds great... if it's anything like those USB flash drives or flash memory cartriges for a Hard Drive, that's awesome... HD access will almost catch up to SDRAM memory.

Similar Threads

  1. Feeling like you're alone
    By substitute in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 10-09-2017, 08:31 PM
  2. [ENFP] ENFPs: ever feel like you have too much love?
    By mas in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
  3. [MBTItm] do you ever feel like you're "lagging" behind?
    By file cabinet in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 05:36 AM
  4. [ENFJ] Fellow ENFJ's: Do You Ever Feel Like People Just Use You?
    By Desperado44 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 03:38 PM
  5. You were meant for me : Jewel
    By Thursday in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 02:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO