User Tag List

View Poll Results: Feel like you were used for Beta testing?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 21.21%
  • No

14 42.42%
  • Other (please explain)

12 36.36%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

I got the sense that Windows 7 was like a reversion of sorts due to complaints about Vista. Vista was supposed to be this whole new generation of OS, and a lot of features I used to hear about were scaled back by the time it came out (more graphical stuff using transparency, etc). So it looks like they kept biting off more than they could chew, to the point now of having to revert to the old number series. (Not sure how the graphics and other features compare to Vista or the older versions).

But who knows. Maybe it was a beta test, and they just made it look like the new system was an afterthought. Never know what these geniuses will do to make the profit charts go up.
    I was one of thsoe trying to hook a Vista laptop up to a home network of XP computers. The laptop had the internet connection through the router, but could not "see" the XP's. the Xp's could access the Vista, however. A lot of people had this problem, and the information was hard to find. It seemed to show that Vista was poorly thought out to the extent of being so incompatible with XP. I think 7 is supposed to fix this.
    What solved my problem: one of the suggestions mentioned the LPT1 (?) drivers for the XP (apart of XP sp3), but I found that it already had this. What's needed is the hotfix, mentioned on the same Microsoft help page. Now, the XP appeared on the vista network map, though it still could not be clicked. Right at that time, the Service Pack 1 for Vista came out. (so there is a service pack being offered as an alternative to the new OS). That got rid of that stupid "Microsoft Publication Service Device Host" that appeared under "Network" where the network map should have first appeared. I also needed to download Vista drivers to the printer to be able to access it from the laptop. Then, all of a sudden, I had full two way access.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTj

Windows 7's best feature is that it has free internet tv.

I'm on episode 6 of MacGyver. I didn't think that I'd enjoy a cheesy 80's series, but here I am.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

w00t ? Thanks for the info
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Sage View Post
    Windows 7's best feature is that it has free internet tv.
    I disagree, it's WDDM 1.1. It makes Vista more memory efficient and gives it smoother graphics performance in the same situations. Vista will never be as good because they won't upgrade Vista to that. Any WDDM 1.1 drivers used will operate in 1.0 mode on Vista, and WDDM 1.0 SUCKS.

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm quite happy with Vista. I waited for a while to get it though, after SP1. And I've got 4 gigs of RAM in my laptop. I'd never go back to XP. XP uses less resources but that's not a problem for me. Otherwise Vista is very stable in my experience, the most stable MS OS since DOS. Great GUI. I used Windowblinds with XP before to customize the look but Vista is nice enough I don't need it. The only major complaint I have is there's extra layers to default Vista. Like running the command prompt in admin mode. Or unhiding the extension names of files when you want to change the file type. Well, more the former. I'm pretty sure if you're running the command prompt you know at least a little bit about computers, enough not to totally mess up your OS.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, I decided to suck it up and buy Windows 7. I'm using it right now.

I'm actually very glad I did. I did a fresh install, and it's running faster out of the box than Windows Vista did after I optimized it for speed. Although that could be for several reasons:

1. I got the 64-bit version of Windows 7, whereas my Dad had forced me to take the 32-bit version of Vista (I wanted 64-bit, he told me it would break all the plug-ins and any older applications, but when I installed it, it didn't).

2. I have a quad-core processor, which benefits from the new way Windows 7 handles multiple cores.

3. Windows 7 no longer does double-buffering and software-rendering of graphics.

On top of that, I really like the fact that the date shows up on the taskbar now, and the fact that I can now use Aero with almost no performance penalties, where as under Vista, my system ran 10% slower if I enabled Aero. I also love the new unit conversions in the Calculator. No more Google searches for Celsius to Fahreinheit converters!

So, I guess I was wrong. There ARE enough new features in Win7 to justify the price tag. Just barely, but there are.

On top of that, I've noticed that my 3D games are far more stable. The whole system is more stable.

So, to anyone who's suffering with Vista... I can confirm you're better off either downgrading or upgrading. This is much better than Vista.

I'm going straight to windows 7 from XP, never touched vista... why would I?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Athenian, what games are you running?
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP

One and a half years ago, I specifically told my computer vendor to install Windows XP instead of Vista. I had to pay a little extra money for this "downgrade", and never regretted it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Athenian, what games are you running?
    Well...

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Dungeon Siege
    Risen
    Morrowind
    World of Warcraft (played until I reached 80 and got the "World Explorer" achievement, then quit).

Aside from that, I occasionally play the 32-bit version of Ski Free, and of course the old Windows standby, Solitaire.

I'm mostly talking about Desktop performance rather than gaming performance, though.