• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Internet use 'may improve brain function in adults'

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Some positive news for all us internet addicts. See? We're not hopeless.

Internet use 'may improve brain function in adults', says UCLA study

Using the internet for just a few days alters our brains – and may help improve cognitive function in the elderly, according to new research.

Scans of the brains of adults who had been immersed in the internet for the first time found that activity in parts of the brain used in memory and decision-making had increased.

Senior research associate Teena D. Moody, one of the authors of the study, said: "The results suggest that searching online may be a simple form of brain exercise that might be employed to enhance cognition in older adults.

The research, performed by psychiatrists and neuroscientists at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), looked at the brain circuitry of adults between the ages of 55 and 78 who had rarely used the internet, compared with those who used it daily.

They then had the volunteers perform web searches while undergoing brain scans called functional magnetic resonance imaging or fMRI, which recorded the changes in brain activity.

After that, the test subjects went home, and were asked to use the internet for an hour a day, using web searches to answer questions on a variety of topics by reading different websites.

A week later they returned to the lab and were scanned again as they carried out a different set of internet searches.

In the first scan, the brains of the subjects who were inexperienced with the internet showed activity in the areas linked to language, reading, memory and visual abilities.

But in the second scan, the middle frontal gyrus and inferior frontal gyrus were also lit up – the parts associated with working (short-term) memory and decision-making.

The brains of the regular internet users already showed activity in these regions, and researchers were startled to note that it only took a few days for inexperienced users to catch up.

Gary Small, a professor of psychiatry at UCLA's Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior and another of the trial’s authors, said: "We found that for older people with minimal experience, performing Internet searches for even a relatively short period of time can change brain activity patterns and enhance function."

As the trial was small – just 24 people – more research is needed to confirm the results. Also, further studies to establish the effects on younger brains, as well as to determine what sort of web use has the greatest cognitive effects, are also needed.

The effects of technology on brain function have been questioned recently. The director of the Royal Institution, Professor Susan Greenfield, has linked social networking sites with loss of concentration in children. She has also blamed text messaging for the increase in attention deficit disorders, computers for fuelling the obesity crisis, and video games for the financial crisis.

Internet use 'may improve brain function in adults', says UCLA study - Telegraph

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Eh, 'in adults.'

Ive been a 'webbie' for a third of my life (between 5-6 years) and all I've really gained is ADD and a lack of 'real life' social skills that require more than reading text.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Eh, 'in adults.'

Ive been a 'webbie' for a third of my life (between 5-6 years) and all I've really gained is ADD and a lack of 'real life' social skills that require more than reading text.

You don't want to know what the worst part is, then.

I'm only AWARE that I lack social skills because I compare myself to people on the web, and gained what few I have through it. How sad is that?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
hmm

- old people
- only one hour a day
- small trial

I don't think this applies to me. Although certainly internet is probably better than some other things I could be doing. Maybe.

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
For me internet improves other organ functions at the expense of palm hair growth and blindness. I'm glad to read that it also makes me smarter but what are the secondary effects to that?

Timmy

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, one has to assume that they're adults to begin with...in more than just a chronological sense.

If you've seen any of the retards I've had to deal with on a couple forums I mod, then you'll understand what I mean.

p.s. My apologies to actual retards for disparaging them in this manner....

Snow Turtle

Looks like the studies is basically...

Adults engage in unknown activity causing them to utilise their brain. Brain functions improved.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I believe it. All of the reading and the new information.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
For me internet improves other organ functions at the expense of palm hair growth and blindness. I'm glad to read that it also makes me smarter but what are the secondary effects to that?

Aha! My eyesight has actually improved and I was an internet fanatic back in Austria! I went down 0.35 in one eye and 1.00 in the either.

There is hope, do not fear everyone--I got this.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Somebody show me the EEG report identifying precisely which sections of the parietal are tickled by lolcats.

Mole

Permabanned
You don't want to know what the worst part is, then.

I'm only AWARE that I lack social skills because I compare myself to people on the web, and gained what few I have through it. How sad is that?

OK Athenian, when you say, "How sad is that?", you are not expressing sadness.

I would be happier if you were to express sadness because sadness is an emotion that leads on to motion, that leads on to emotion, that leads on to motion, and so on.

Really when you ask, "How sad is that?", you are asking for pity. And for some reason I find it hard to pity you. Rather I feel annoyed at you. And I feel annoyed at you because it blocks me and it blocks you. And having reached this block, I feel frustrated.

And for you it is a genuine block. On the other hand you have a very good mind and you are able to think about it; and even more important you are able to tell us about it.

You are able to share your block with us. And yes, it is painful and annoying and frustrating and shared.