User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Yep, pictures would help. Like Ygolo said, if it was more of a "scrape" than a crush, then the car being scraped would look far worse. Basically what would happen is that 1 point [point being used here loosely] on the 5 mph car would absorb most of the impact, while the 35 mph car is impacted in a large area by that one point of contact. Similar to the Titanic hitting the iceberg.
    This makes sense to me. If you, moving faster, turned his car aside some, then that car would only have a small surface area which then scrapes across your entire side as you carry through. The bumper corner would attempt to crumple inward, but the point of a triangle-like shape would resist folding inward, while you on the other hand had a flat panel with a point being punched in and dragged across it.

beyondaurora

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...929-1654-1.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...90929-1630.jpg

(Sorry in advance if these links aren't clickable...my browser is a BlackBerry.)

You can see that the license plate sticks into the front of the door jam but does not 'peel' as one would expect in Ygolo's example. Again, my car was driving eastward while the other car was driving northerly. One would expect that the plate would peel in such a way that the license plate nearly faces outward from my door. Instead, the plate mostly continues to face my door as one would expect in the crush example.

Interestingly, the photos seem to show a combination of both a crush and a scrape.

Thanks for the link, Ygolo, for accident reconstruction services. Hopefully the officer will write a favorable report so that I don't need to use such a service.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...929-1654-1.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...90929-1630.jpg

(Sorry in advance if these links aren't clickable...my browser is a BlackBerry.)

You can see that the license plate sticks into the front of the door jam but does not 'peel' as one would expect in Ygolo's example. Again, my car was driving eastward while the other car was driving northerly. One would expect that the plate would peel in such a way that the license plate nearly faces outward from my door. Instead, the plate mostly continues to face my door as one would expect in the crush example.

Interestingly, the photos seem to show a combination of both a crush and a scrape.

Thanks for the link, Ygolo, for accident reconstruction services. Hopefully the officer will write a favorable report so that I don't need to use such a service.
    You snapped the liscence plate off, so it wasnt really a 'peel,' sure. The hit definitely looks like a scrape since its so wide.

Really, now all that matters is who was running the red light. It could go either way since he could have hit the breaks to screech to 5ish MPH or he was just speeding up when the driver of your car ran their red light.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

What type of vehicle was the other one, a big SUV? Where was the license place on that car?

I am no expert, but it's hard to see how that amount of damage could be done on one car and not damage the other car beyond just the left bumper. Did you get a glimpse of the damage on the other car? or were you out?

I suppose it is still possible, I don't know of any way to compare damage to other that of other low-speed collisions. The pictures of side collisions were all very severe, but also at much higher speeds.

The door part of it seems like a scrape, but the damage around the wheel, and the hood seems much more severe than what 5 MPH could do. But the I was still thinking of it as a 90 degree angle collision. It is possible the angle was slightly off.

It's the placement of the license plate that really has me the most confused. How could it end up stuck in the car with its sides folded backward and the numbers facing inside? and so close to the mirror?

To me, what makes the most sense is:
    1. First the cars smashed together (where exactly depends on where the license plate was on the other car).
    2. Next the other car bounced back a little and rotated a little.
    3. Then Finally the rotated car scraped in your door panel.

But again, I am no expert.

----
    Whatever the physics of the accident, there is another part of the story that bugs me. The other driver said that he was only going through the light at 5MPH.

Why was he going so slow?

Did he claim he stepped on the brakes to slow down to try not to hit your car?

Was he accelerating from a stopped or slowed down position upon the light turning green? If so, what sort of person accelerates even when there is a car in front of him?

Or was he just going 5 MPH in a 25 MPH zone? Who does that?

I suppose he could have been accelerating really slowly though the intersection when you car came through the intersection, and that your car got to the spot first because of the higher speed.

IDK. I am biased. I hope you recover well, and that the driver of the other car is at fault.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield