User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ

So we don't have to do anything special to "take it back"?
    When it's set up on the new server, it will eventually take everyone to the correct page again?
    We don't have to take it away from GoDaddy?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    So we don't have to do anything special to "take it back"?
    When it's set up on the new server, it will eventually take everyone to the correct page again?
    We don't have to take it away from GoDaddy?
    1. Is this a domain renewal situation? See when the domain expires by going to: Domainname.com - Domain Name - Reserve Your Place In Cyberspace with DomainName.com Domain Name Registration Services!

2. If it's just a nameserver change, you can check dnstools.com.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Shouldbe: Whois lookup and Domain name search[insert domain name]
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTP

Who did you register the domain through? If it was a hosting company, who did they register it through? This will be the registrar mentioned in the details you will get from the sites mentioned by Synarch.
    It will probably be godaddy.

If you are changing from one hosting company to another, have you already terminated your contract with the old hosting company? If you have, they probably abandoned control of the DNS records and decommissioned the server. Searches for the domain might then return the domain registrar, because the hosting company is no longer supplying an address for the domain.
    The state of the server and the data it contained would then depend on the policies of that company.
    If this is what has happened, You need to contact the old hosting company and find out what has happened and get the information you need to administer your domain details (you'll need this when setting up the DNS for the new server at the new hosting company).

If this is not the case then I don't know, maybe something broke somewhere.

All of that is conjecture based on my tenuous assumptions. Call your web host, ask them what they think is happening, don't make accusations, tell them what you saw, on what computer, where and when. You may be able to check their web site and see if they listed any service outages (I've had hosting companies disappear from the net for a few hours, their entire data centres falling off the net).
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    1. Is this a domain renewal situation? See when the domain expires by going to: Domainname.com - Domain Name - Reserve Your Place In Cyberspace with DomainName.com Domain Name Registration Services!

2. If it's just a nameserver change, you can check dnstools.com.
    According to that first link, the domain name expires in 2010.

I'm getting the right website at home, though my boss is getting a blank screen.

I'm going to run adware tomorrow.
    I think it's AOL messing us up.
    That's the only common denominator on all 3 computers.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    Who did you register the domain through? If it was a hosting company, who did they register it through? This will be the registrar mentioned in the details you will get from the sites mentioned by Synarch.
    It will probably be godaddy....
    You're right.
    The new webmaster looked it up and found out we're currently registered with GoDaddy.
    So now the scary thing is that I read a bunch of posts today written by people complaining that GoDaddy sold their domain to someone else even though they were still using it!

But whatever... only on machines running AOL.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    It will probably be godaddy.

If you are changing from one hosting company to another, have you already terminated your contract with the old hosting company? If you have, they probably abandoned control of the DNS records and decommissioned the server. Searches for the domain might then return the domain registrar, because the hosting company is no longer supplying an address for the domain.
    The state of the server and the data it contained would then depend on the policies of that company.
    If this is what has happened, You need to contact the old hosting company and find out what has happened and get the information you need to administer your domain details (you'll need this when setting up the DNS for the new server at the new hosting company).

If this is not the case then I don't know, maybe something broke somewhere.

All of that is conjecture based on my tenuous assumptions. Call your web host, ask them what they think is happening, don't make accusations, tell them what you saw, on what computer, where and when. You may be able to check their web site and see if they listed any service outages (I've had hosting companies disappear from the net for a few hours, their entire data centres falling off the net).
    Thank you for all your help!