User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The researcher only implies the conclusion that males with higher levels of oestrogen are less likely to spend their time on typically male "active" pursuits such as sports and chasing women and more likely to spend time in more reflective pursuits such as the extremely analytical subjects they list.

By the way, my ring fingers are clearly longer than my index fingers.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

My ring fingers are longer, but I don't recall the ratio nor do I have a tool to measure them. If you look at my scalp, it's clear I have quite a bit of free testosterone, and recently it's been driving me mad (for both reasons), but there's nothing that can be done about it (on either front). Surprisingly, the left/right brain test not based on questions indicates I have a distinct right-brain preference, which makes absolutely no sense considering the field in which I work and peer/mentor respect I have in the field.

They are missing some key elements, too. They're looking at people in academia, who are less likely to be the actual top of their fields and more likely to be willing to teach. This would require a more nurturing nature and less of a drive for success. I recall the stark contrasts between education and the real world - education is much gentler and less demanding. Also, when I did a project at the university earlier this year the faculty and employees were amazed by my effectiveness and how rapidly I solved problems, since they were accustomed to people that had nothing but an academic background. They were really sad to see me go because they never come in contact with people that have left the nest. (I was there for 2 weeks. I got a job offer out-of-state and I was only there on a contract basis to begin with. This was only because the economy had flipped and they couldn't get students for such projects anymore. It was a job I could only have dreamed of when I was a student because there was such fierce competition for them, but since students can make more in the private sector and have their pick of jobs at the moment they don't want low-paying campus jobs, so the university pays consultants a great deal more to do them.)
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    A study claims that male scientists are good at research because they have the hormone levels of women and long index fingers in relation to their ring fingers:

University of Bath News - Academics find that the finger of destiny points their way

Anyone care to share whether their index finger or ring finger is longer?
    Yes.

Again, the misinterpretation of the data leads astray.

A few strange things.

My index finger looks slightly longer than my ring finger. I am an engineer. From where are we supposed to measure our finger lengths?

When reading a linked posted later in the thread, I have a "literacy hand", though my GRE scores would disagree.

I also find it it strange that there is a hidden implication is that scientists are worse at mathematical reasoning than verbal reasoning.

That is:
    long index finger -> prone to science.
    long index finger -> literacy hand.

Still, this is numerically possible since the people who actually choose science is a small number.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Yes.

Again, the misinterpretation of the data leads astray.
    Then please, reinterpret and set us straight.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    Then please, reinterpret and set us straight.
    I love how marginal differences are amplified by using "male and female" hormones. Especially considering the rather unique differences between male and females in regards to how hormones trigger early development - and is shown again by the 2D:4D measurements being utterly different in almost every way. *sigh*

In any case, there is no data to validate or interpret. I can't find anything by this guy and nothing on any peer reviewed journal relating the stuff he mentioned. If anyone finds it, I'd like to see it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah- I know I'll sound like a ditz for typing this, but Cosmo says that men with longer ring fingers are more prone to one night stands than men with longer index fingers

my index and ring fingers are exactly the same length on both hands- wonder if that explains my inability to comprehend theories for some reason???

MBTI
    ixxj

Purely pseudoscience. Finger length and analytic skills? Hah. A classic case of "If it sounds too good* to be true, it is."

*By good I mean weird

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I will clarify my last post -- I find this detail "interesting" and perhaps there is some general correlation in regards to hormonal influences on a developing fetus... but it's such a vague correlation that I'm not sure that any real conclusions can be drawn from it.

It's just the sort of cute tidbit that the populace snaps up, since it's easy to measure and easy to comprehend compared to any real complex analysis.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I will clarify my last post -- I find this detail "interesting" and perhaps there is some general correlation in regards to hormonal influences on a developing fetus... but it's such a vague correlation that I'm not sure that any real conclusions can be drawn from it.

It's just the sort of cute tidbit that the populace snaps up, since it's easy to measure and easy to comprehend compared to any real complex analysis.
    The other thing to remember is that they are dealing with a very small biased sample (assuming this was only done on the university)... However, it has been shown that relative lengths actually are pretty powerful indicators for quite a few things, as strange as it seems.

What bothers me about this one is that it is purely uncontrolled observation in a biased sample. There are quite a few good studies on how feasible the relative finger length may matter (search for 2d:4d), but I can't find anything by this guy.

I dislike that because it makes it easy to dismiss claims like this (reminds us of phrenology), yet has shown to be a decent predictor so far. I just don't like people running around going "You must be good at (x) because your fingers are the same length.".

(And of course, if anyone finds a paper from this guy on this topic, please let me know... since this might just be him going "interesting... lets test this" and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.)