User Tag List

First 12

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Thanks for all the links and resources, ygolo. Very interesting and informative.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP

In my first post I mentioned how Nintendo is using the Wii as a disruptive innovation. Interestingly BusinessWeek just named them the "World's Best Company of 2009". Behold the power of disruption!

World's Best Companies 2009 - BusinessWeek

What are some traits of the World's Best Companies? A commitment to innovation, diversified portfolios, aggressive expansion, strong leadership, and a clear vision for the future.
    Japanese electronics maker Nintendo claims the No. 1 spot this year. Its sales have risen 36% annually over the past five years, while its value growth averaged 38%. Despite the hard times of the past year, Nintendo's continued emphasis on innovation has helped the company develop must-haves such as the DS handheld game machine and the Wii console, which outsold rival offerings from Sony and Microsoft.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

MBTI
    INTx

Very interesting clips.

Nintendo Wii is a good example, but I don't think they were disruptive primarily because it was cheaper and easier. Cheaper and easier are things all products strive for. I bet Sony would have loved to sell their units for $50 cheaper, yet they couldn't for what they offered, which was hardware capable of satisfying "serious gamers".

I think Nintendo took advantage of an existing market where Sony and Microsoft were clubbing each other over the head for the "serious gamers" and presented a product that appealed to children, families, and group activities. It's funny because children and groups were the original market that gaming just happened to outgrow, so Nintendo just returned to it as it became niche.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Very interesting clips.

Nintendo Wii is a good example, but I don't think they were disruptive primarily because it was cheaper and easier. Cheaper and easier are things all products strive for. I bet Sony would have loved to sell their units for $50 cheaper, yet they couldn't for what they offered, which was hardware capable of satisfying "serious gamers".

I think Nintendo took advantage of an existing market where Sony and Microsoft were clubbing each other over the head for the "serious gamers" and presented a product that appealed to children, families, and group activities. It's funny because children and groups were the original market that gaming just happened to outgrow, so Nintendo just returned to it as it became niche.
    Yeah you are right. Cheaper and easier have to do with the technology, which is important, but a company's values are even more important in making the disruption work. Microsoft and Sony can come up with a cheap easy to use controller, but that won't make them successful (especially if they keep focusing on the hardcore crowd). Nintendo's values make them target a forgotten market, and their technology is a manifestation of those values.