User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Laptop advice?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I bought my last computer from a Dell outlet online, and I really like it. I think they sell mostly used and refurbished computers. This is a desktop I'm talking about, but they sell laptops too. The prices are low. There is wide variety, and they can come with a variety of extra features. If you want anything extra you can order that too.

The main downside is that you need a pretty good idea of what the computer specs mean if you buy something from there. If you don't know anything about computers, then you'll need a face-to-face salesperson to explain things to you.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Toshiba laptops last like forever, they are the best.

My advice: Toshiba Tecra Series. Costs are from moderate to expensive, but you buy quality.

We have two toshiba Tecras at home, one is 9 years and the other one 5 years old. No problems detected

P.S.: dont buy dell (every idiot does cause they are cheap, I did myself), they suck bigtime. After 1 year the cpu fan at my girls dell went crazy and besides that the dell gets so hot you can boil eggs on it
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP

Toshiba's used to be great a few years ago but they've really gone downhill fast. I'm sure they still have some good models but it's hit and miss.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Ive found no problems with my fantastic toshiba either (that my lazy ass didn't create I should say.) but mine like Entro's is much older.

I think I'll attempt to buy by computer specs for the price instead of brand name. I wanted to get her something cute, but for a budget, I think aesthetics isn't going to have room in our cost..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTJ

I just bought a macbook pro. But obviously if you're on a budget that probably won't work.

So, I would just go with a Toshiba or HP- and you're right, optical drive IS important. Aesthetics don't matter.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    istj
    Enneagram

Costco. I paid like $529 for my Toshiba a couple months ago. Free Windows 7 upgrade, woot!

MBTI
    INTP

Do you know how much time she'll spend on her laptop? Mini-notebooks hurt your eyes after a while - they're only good if you have nothing else. Any laptop with less than 10 inches of monitor would be too eye-hurting to use regularly. Of course, the mini-notebooks are great as a secondary laptop if she already has a big-screen laptop or a desktop.

Specifications you should be looking for:
    Monitor size: for portability, no more than 14 inches. For eye comfort, no less than 12 inches.
    Battery life: Don't skimp on this one. But as long as it's not a gaming laptop, battery life shouldn't be a problem. 3 hours of battery life would be best.
    CPU: Should be a dual core.
    RAM: 2Gb should be enough. I mean, your sister isn't gaming, is she?
    VGA card: doesn't matter too much for casual use.

The brand I'd recommend is ASUS; when I bought my laptop a year ago, they had the best value for money.

MBTI
    INTJ

For what it's worth, six months ago when I was laptop shopping, various colleagues and acquaintances kept saying ACER Aspire. Not a well known name but an up-and-comer, supposedly decent, and definitely cheaper than the bigger brand names. They all (3 or 4 persons) had Aspires and liked them.

I being an individual bought a Lenovo SL400 (P7370 varietal). It was easier than trying to work out which Aspire to get, and it's almost a Thinkpad. Then I learned the SL400 is roundly vilified for its loud cooling fan. Then I found I couldn't hear the fan much at all, so I don't care. Then I found the whole package goes wonky in hot, humid environments, and I do care about that, but summer's over now so it's okay.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ISTJ

The Intel Atom CPU inside those netbooks are, in my opinion, a little bit too weak for a primary computer. PowerPoint 2007's new feature, live preview, is too slow on it.

MBTI
    INTJ

For what it's worth, some half-assed Aspire reviews with prices at PC World.

(When I was looking over laptop info back when I was shopping, that was one of the things I noted about the Aspires: people buy them and use them but there isn't a lot of info out about them. Magazine review space goes to the prestige brand name products. So it was kinda hard to find out about them without actually buying one.)
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr