User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Homemade Science Experiment To Create Explosion? (Leftover T3s; codeine?)

Does anyone know what to do with codeine to make practical, fun use of it? Does this react well with anything to make explosions/fire?

I have leftover T3s from getting my wisdom teeth out and would like to make good use of it

any ideas? thoughts?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

A first google look didn't reveal anything (didn't look past the 5th link though), but you could always try selling it to nearby neighbors... and set up some kind of booby trap that will trip them when they cross into your property. It'd be fun to see if they fall for it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Does anyone know what to do with codeine to make practical, fun use of it? Does this react well with anything to make explosions/fire?

I have leftover T3s from getting my wisdom teeth out and would like to make good use of it

any ideas? thoughts?
    All I could find is that you can use Hydrogen Peroxide to oxidize it and turn it into hydroxycodine... but I'm not sure if that's fun or practical.

I think you can also use Sulfuric Acid to turn it into Codine Sulfate, or Phospheric Acid to turn it into Codine Phosphate, and get Hydrogen Dioxide (water) as a byproduct.

That's all I could find. Sorry, it doesn't sound like a very interesting molecule. No reactions similar to Baking soda and Vingar or Mentos and Coke.

Not sure.

One standard physical experiment is to dissolve what you have and the boil away the water to see if you get the Terpin Hydrate crystals back.

You could probably get a stronger reaction in whatever you try with a more pure form.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP

Codeine is a weak opiate at best, and then it is spoiled in a T3 by being mixed with something even more weak that is fairly taxing on the liver.

Save them for a time when you want to be relieved of a minor pain and experience slight constipation. (like that will ever happen!)

cheers,
    Ian