• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

iTunes purchasing available only in country of purchase?

Usehername

On a mission
TERMS OF SALE

Purchases or rentals (as applicable) from the iTunes Store are available to you only in Canada. If you are not in Canada you may not use or attempt to use the service. iTunes may use technologies to verify such compliance.

If one moves countries, how easy is it to circumvent this term of sale? There's something I can download, right?

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Each country is set up with its own store thats based upon its currency. Its a clever ploy to ensure they can charge somebody 10€ for a cd in Europe and 10$ for a cd in America ;). You can't buy anything from the store of another country so long as you are not in that country. But its typically fairly simple to change which store you are in, the option is on the bottom of store panel on itunes.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Burn everything to CD, then rip them to mp3, FLAC or ogg. Uninstall iTunes.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
^ yup.
lol. itunes. I can't wait for them to run it into the ground. I recently tried to buy a song and discovered they'd upped the price from an already inflated $0.99 to $1.29. Amazon had it for $0.79. I wonder what people who buy tons of music do.

brilliantwomble

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
iTunes upped their prices on songs they considered "popular" or "hits" so basically singles and other songs that sold well in hopes of encouraging buyers to buy the whole album, which would work out to be cheaper than buying the songs individually. On the flip side, most artists that have songs at $1.29, I only want one of their songs and I'm not interested in purchasing the whole album.

Occasionally I do find a decent price on whole albums on iTunes though; I have bought a few for under $9.

As for out of country purchases, I think they look at the IP address to determine store and purchasing ability. I have never tried to purchase anything from the UK store, but I did attempt to download a free single from the iTunes UK store and it wouldn't let me stating I wasn't in that country. Although, yes, the iTunes store does allow you to view other countries' selections (how I found the single in the first place.)

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Burn everything to CD, then rip them to mp3, FLAC or ogg. Uninstall iTunes.

YES. Itunes is pretty much money grubbing now, considering how they beat that "oh,we're going to only give this song to you ONE TIME on ONE COMPUTER, if your computer dies tough shit" to death. Although it's only a matter of time before it dies and better store programs come up to take its place.

Hell, the only reason I still have Itunes on my computer is that I'm too damn lazy to have to change my entire folder layout.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
iTunes upped their prices on songs they considered "popular" or "hits" so basically singles and other songs that sold well in hopes of encouraging buyers to buy the whole album, which would work out to be cheaper than buying the songs individually. On the flip side, most artists that have songs at $1.29, I only want one of their songs and I'm not interested in purchasing the whole album.

Occasionally I do find a decent price on whole albums on iTunes though; I have bought a few for under $9.

As for out of country purchases, I think they look at the IP address to determine store and purchasing ability. I have never tried to purchase anything from the UK store, but I did attempt to download a free single from the iTunes UK store and it wouldn't let me stating I wasn't in that country. Although, yes, the iTunes store does allow you to view other countries' selections (how I found the single in the first place.)

They'll continue the bullshit for as long as people accept it.

As for their "popular" $1.29 tunes, they must define that broadly. Meanwhile, I haven't seen them lower the prices of unpopular songs I bought for $0.99. Tsk tsk.

Apple is relying on consumer laziness to sell their $1.29 songs, but as I (lazily) do not want to switch too much between music merchants, I have switched my default to amazon and will use itunes only if I can't find a song on amazon. Apple made me do it.

brilliantwomble

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Admittedly, they do use the popular and high selling term broadly and they did state they would lower the price of some songs to like I don't remember around $0.69... I have never seen any nor have I heard reports of people finding these mythical songs. Most everything I have purchased I try to get at a net value of under $1 a song, but I haven't been tempted to pay $1.29 for any of the songs. Yes, I do think that is a ripoff.

Amazon does usually offer a pretty good deal though. I got a album off there for like $5, but I still have a giftcard balance for iTunes, so for now, it is my default. In general Amazon undercuts prices on most everything though.