User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default N00b buying a mic for recording to PC-guidance?

So I need to learn to sing better because I'm probably leading worship again at uni this year. I have a strong musical ear from instrumental training, and a sister who is a voice major for guidance, so I'm just going to buy a mic and teach myself to sing instead of paying for lessons.

I own a PC, so I need a mic that won't be difficult to use with that (I don't know anything about electrical cords etc. though I'm willing to learn if necessary). I'd like a decent enough mic to use for quality recording wrt tone and such, but it doesn't need to be professional level quality. It would be nice if it was good for recording guitar as well. Recommendations?

Musician's Friend has a 20% off sale today.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

I have no experience in this area but I imagine that some of the nicer ($$$) mics might have a jack that is bigger than the standard sized input your computer has.

I would just buy a $10 mic and find out how well it works for guitar.

see you in vent

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

There are mixers and adaptors out there for attaching a decent mic to a computer. I have an M-Audio Fast track Pro that connects to the computer using USB; but it takes over your computers sound functions so I haven't used it in a while. I also have a cheaper 4 line mixer from the Source that can take the 1/4 jack and it has both a 1/4 and RCA output jacks. I tend to take from the RCA output jacks and run them through a 1/8 adaptor to my computer.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    So I need to learn to sing better because I'm probably leading worship again at uni this year. I have a strong musical ear from instrumental training, and a sister who is a voice major for guidance, so I'm just going to buy a mic and teach myself to sing instead of paying for lessons.

I own a PC, so I need a mic that won't be difficult to use with that (I don't know anything about electrical cords etc. though I'm willing to learn if necessary). I'd like a decent enough mic to use for quality recording wrt tone and such, but it doesn't need to be professional level quality. It would be nice if it was good for recording guitar as well. Recommendations?

Musician's Friend has a 20% off sale today.
    so are you going to want to record or do you want to just use this for live practice?
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    so are you going to want to record or do you want to just use this for live practice?
    Just to hear for my own purposes, or to send a digital file to my sister to give me a "voice lesson" from her city. So it can't be so cheap that it doesn't pick up tone/timbre, etc.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Get a USB microphone with a filter. The filter is important if you don't want any annoying fuzzy sounds from the background. I use a filtered microphone for making my own songs and had never had any problems.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've heard this one is good, but I don't have any experience with these things:

Buy M-Audio Aries Condenser Vocal Microphone | Condenser Microphones | Musician's Friend

The company who made it is known for making computer-based microphones, and released one recently that's more focused on voice. It probably received better testing for computer compatibility than it would have otherwise, though. It should be easy enough to connect to a computer with the right adapters.

Others I've heard good things about include:

Buy Shure Beta 58A Mic | Dynamic Microphones | Musician's Friend

Buy Shure SM58 Mic | Dynamic Microphones | Musician's Friend

The choice is up to you, though.

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Just to hear for my own purposes, or to send a digital file to my sister to give me a "voice lesson" from her city. So it can't be so cheap that it doesn't pick up tone/timbre, etc.
    the Blue Snowball or the AT-2020USB would work fine. they are in the 100$-150$ range.

any other type of mic would require buying an audio interface, and it seems that it would be a bit impractical for you.

i would go for the Audio-Technica USB mic. the Blue Snowball mic is good in its own right, but the logo seems to block the diaphragm, which troubles me, although it probably does nothing.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Get a USB microphone with a filter. The filter is important if you don't want any annoying fuzzy sounds from the background. I use a filtered microphone for making my own songs and had never had any problems.
    Is that the same thing that prevents popping sounds whenever you use "P"?

MBTI
    ISTJ

You may also need to do some work to prevent your mic from picking up your computer fan and hard drive noise. That's on an as-needed basis through.