User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    Personally, I think depression is over diagnosed. Maybe that has something to do with western culture, and societal expections, but people get diagnosed with depression after major life events, such as a death of someone they were close too. A perfectly natural response of grief gets misconstrued as depression. I think this may have something to do with the clinical definitions of depression also......I don't think this neccessairly translates as a genetic weakness.
    I also rather think from what surmised from the literture I have read, that depression is very much determined by enviromental factors. Control enviromental factors, and you pretty much eliminate it's expression. Predisposition dosen't equal definite expression.

That said, It is not my intention to belittle those of you who've been diagnosed with depression.
    Depression being over-diagnosed is a common criticism in the last several years of having anti-depression drugs available, and it is likely true. That people have access to the drugs as a quick solution is a problem stemming from both the doctor and patient.

The availability of the drugs allows for:
    1) Doctors to have a ready, reliable quick solution to the patients' problems.
    2) Patients to convince themselves and doctors that they need those drugs.

Also, it is true that predisposition doesn't mean expression.

However, when speaking from an evolutionary perspective, we have to talk in terms of statistics over long periods of time. If the potential is there, and we are of course assuming that there is a potential for higher risk of depression, then it is likely that it will be expressed.

My point was never that all depressed people are genetically inferior; in fact I said that in agreement with the article, low to moderate levels of normal depression as a reaction to difficulty can be advantageous. My point is that, like all other genetically related disorders, there is a clear disadvantage that puts their genetic line at risk, and that this is partly what allows species to evolve and survive.

Perhaps, given a more effective drug and its implementation in healthcare, as well as a stronger awareness of neurocognitive disorders, we can better prepare future generations to deal with depression to the point of avoiding severe or chronic bouts.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Well I think it's obvious that the OP is a gross simplification. But we do have a serious problem in western society of over prescribing antidepressants. Of course the drug companies helped promote this because that's how they make $$$.

I'm not sure how chronic pain for the most part weed out genetic weaknesses either... Seeing as the majority of people with chronic pain are the elderly... or at least those past reproductive age... But that's off topic.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

An illness is caused by a lesion or an infectious agent.

But so far, no lesion or infectious agent has been found to cause Clinical Depression.

Yet doctors all over the world are treating Clinical Depression.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I'm not sure how chronic pain for the most part weed out genetic weaknesses either... Seeing as the majority of people with chronic pain are the elderly... or at least those past reproductive age... But that's off topic.
    A good deal of people would be in chronic pain and discomfort were it not for modern medicines and vaccines. Asthma and polio, to name a few amongst the many disorders, aren't much of a problem today. As for how it weeds it out, just look at what you pointed out: that the majority of fertile people aren't in chronic pain. If there were things wrong with people who had serious illnesses and defects without feeling pain to suppress their survival rate, it would pose a significant problem to the gene pools of our species.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    An illness is caused by a lesion or an infectious agent.
    Illness Definition | Definition of Illness at Dictionary.com

Or, you know, by anything else that causes poor health, which is what those who have taken the Hippocratic Oath have sworn to prevent and cure.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    As described by a recent article on scientific american... depression may be the evolutionary approach to serious analytical problem solving?

Theory... we get depressed because we have a problem we need to sit down and solve. Ruminating over it directs our energy/resources towards this problem. Then once the solution is found, the depression goes away. If this is true... does it point to cognitive therapy being a "better" treatment than antidepressants? That is, resolve the problem rather than covering up the symptoms?

Depression's Evolutionary Roots: Scientific American
    True.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EIE

Oh my.. This is the most interesting article I've read in months!
    That's why I love this forum so much!

I think it's very, very true. Every time I postponed taking some important decision I got into this minor-depression state. I didn't see any people, didn't eat much and then I made a decision.
    In many old cultures (including Native Americans, Vikings etc) it was traditional to let young men 'be depressed' until they realize who they want to become. (described in the 'Iron John' by Robert Bly, for instance).

I believe the same goes for intense creative process. Scientists who barely check what they dress in, artists who don't eat while creating. I, myself, get into cave-in mode each time I write a novel. I write in one-week-long bursts when I don't see anybody, I eat only after I finish writing and focus only on creating (concerns of outer world are cut!).
    Also look at the meditation sessions in Buddhism, Christianity etc. Ha!
    This article really opened my eyes to all this! Thank you nightning!

PS The jerk was right after all..
    YouTube - TOM CRUISE CONDEMN BROOKE SHIELDS FOR PROMOTE ANTI-DEPRESSAN

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I would call this environmental rather.

When depressed your body is screaming at you that something is messing with your body.

Its like if you stabbed your foot with a knife, your nerves will tell you don't fucking do that, your body has an intricate network of nerves that tell your foot that stabbing your foot is wrong and suffer the consequences. Wouldn't this be similar with the notion of depressions/anxieties etc. You just have to figure out which part of your body is deficient in which hormone, vitamin, diseased, substance that is leeching your systems serotonin levels out of you.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    Absolutely--it's the dumbest, most harmful thing a doctor can possibly do, to put someone that age on medication when they don't need it. As a result of what happened, I seem to have lost the ability to produce normal levels of serotonin; all those years while my body developed, it learned to rely on pills for that, and now that I've stopped taking them, I'm tired all the time and seldom happy. I would've been much better off if my doctor had let me be a little picky and a little depressed, as many well-adjusted people are. So let this be a lesson to any parents, patients, or physicians who might be browsing.
    Good cautionary points Nunki.

I haven't stopped by here much, but I wanted to say hi!
    BTW: Your avatar seems... familiar somehow

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Possible cliche, but meant as a support of therapy over strong medication: it makes sense that anything that you survive gives an evolutionary advantage. It could be another term for 'success' as well. Maybe depression is one of the ways the need for having a problem to solve can work out.
    INtj | 9w1