• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nobel Prizes

ygolo

My termites win
Seems like we would be neglectful if we didn't have a thread on the current happenings.

Seems like there are rather many prizes this year for discoveries further back in history. Though that is just my impression.

Nobelprize.org

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2007
"for their discoveries of principles for introducing specific gene modifications in mice by the use of embryonic stem cells"
Mario R. Capecchi - USA
Sir Martin J. Evans - UK
Oliver Smithies- USA

The Nobel Prize in Physics 2007
"for the discovery of Giant Magnetoresistance"
Albert Fert - France
Peter Grünberg - Germany

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2007
Gerhard Ertl - Germany

The EU is dominating. Is the U.S. no longer on the cutting-edge? :)devil: :yes:)

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
My favorite category is physics

A freind of mine had at one time read all the Nobel papers in Physics and Economics.

All Nobel Laureates in Physics

2007 - Albert Fert, Peter Grünberg
2006 - John C. Mather, George F. Smoot
2005 - Roy J. Glauber, John L. Hall, Theodor W. Hänsch
2004 - David J. Gross, H. David Politzer, Frank Wilczek
2003 - Alexei A. Abrikosov, Vitaly L. Ginzburg, Anthony J. Leggett
2002 - Raymond Davis Jr., Masatoshi Koshiba, Riccardo Giacconi
2001 - Eric A. Cornell, Wolfgang Ketterle, Carl E. Wieman
2000 - Zhores I. Alferov, Herbert Kroemer, Jack S. Kilby
1999 - Gerardus 't Hooft, Martinus J.G. Veltman
1998 - Robert B. Laughlin, Horst L. Störmer, Daniel C. Tsui
1997 - Steven Chu, Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, William D. Phillips
1996 - David M. Lee, Douglas D. Osheroff, Robert C. Richardson
1995 - Martin L. Perl, Frederick Reines
1994 - Bertram N. Brockhouse, Clifford G. Shull
1993 - Russell A. Hulse, Joseph H. Taylor Jr.
1992 - Georges Charpak
1991 - Pierre-Gilles de Gennes
1990 - Jerome I. Friedman, Henry W. Kendall, Richard E. Taylor
1989 - Norman F. Ramsey, Hans G. Dehmelt, Wolfgang Paul
1988 - Leon M. Lederman, Melvin Schwartz, Jack Steinberger
1987 - J. Georg Bednorz, K. Alex Müller
1986 - Ernst Ruska, Gerd Binnig, Heinrich Rohrer
1985 - Klaus von Klitzing
1984 - Carlo Rubbia, Simon van der Meer
1983 - Subramanyan Chandrasekhar, William A. Fowler
1982 - Kenneth G. Wilson
1981 - Nicolaas Bloembergen, Arthur L. Schawlow, Kai M. Siegbahn
1980 - James Cronin, Val Fitch
1979 - Sheldon Glashow, Abdus Salam, Steven Weinberg
1978 - Pyotr Kapitsa, Arno Penzias, Robert Woodrow Wilson
1977 - Philip W. Anderson, Sir Nevill F. Mott, John H. van Vleck
1976 - Burton Richter, Samuel C.C. Ting
1975 - Aage N. Bohr, Ben R. Mottelson, James Rainwater
1974 - Martin Ryle, Antony Hewish
1973 - Leo Esaki, Ivar Giaever, Brian D. Josephson
1972 - John Bardeen, Leon N. Cooper, Robert Schrieffer
1971 - Dennis Gabor
1970 - Hannes Alfvén, Louis Néel
1969 - Murray Gell-Mann
1968 - Luis Alvarez
1967 - Hans Bethe
1966 - Alfred Kastler
1965 - Sin-Itiro Tomonaga, Julian Schwinger, Richard P. Feynman
1964 - Charles H. Townes, Nicolay G. Basov, Aleksandr M. Prokhorov
1963 - Eugene Wigner, Maria Goeppert-Mayer, J. Hans D. Jensen
1962 - Lev Landau
1961 - Robert Hofstadter, Rudolf Mössbauer
1960 - Donald A. Glaser
1959 - Emilio Segrè, Owen Chamberlain
1958 - Pavel A. Cherenkov, Il´ja M. Frank, Igor Y. Tamm
1957 - Chen Ning Yang, Tsung-Dao Lee
1956 - William B. Shockley, John Bardeen, Walter H. Brattain
1955 - Willis E. Lamb, Polykarp Kusch
1954 - Max Born, Walther Bothe
1953 - Frits Zernike
1952 - Felix Bloch, E. M. Purcell
1951 - John Cockcroft, Ernest T.S. Walton
1950 - Cecil Powell
1949 - Hideki Yukawa
1948 - Patrick M.S. Blackett
1947 - Edward V. Appleton
1946 - Percy W. Bridgman
1945 - Wolfgang Pauli
1944 - Isidor Isaac Rabi
1943 - Otto Stern
1942 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1941 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1940 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1939 - Ernest Lawrence
1938 - Enrico Fermi
1937 - Clinton Davisson, George Paget Thomson
1936 - Victor F. Hess, Carl D. Anderson
1935 - James Chadwick
1934 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1933 - Erwin Schrödinger, Paul A.M. Dirac
1932 - Werner Heisenberg
1931 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1930 - Venkata Raman
1929 - Louis de Broglie
1928 - Owen Willans Richardson
1927 - Arthur H. Compton, C.T.R. Wilson
1926 - Jean Baptiste Perrin
1925 - James Franck, Gustav Hertz
1924 - Manne Siegbahn
1923 - Robert A. Millikan
1922 - Niels Bohr
1921 - Albert Einstein
1920 - Charles Edouard Guillaume
1919 - Johannes Stark
1918 - Max Planck
1917 - Charles Glover Barkla
1916 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1915 - William Bragg, Lawrence Bragg
1914 - Max von Laue
1913 - Heike Kamerlingh Onnes
1912 - Gustaf Dalén
1911 - Wilhelm Wien
1910 - Johannes Diderik van der Waals
1909 - Guglielmo Marconi, Ferdinand Braun
1908 - Gabriel Lippmann
1907 - Albert A. Michelson
1906 - J.J. Thomson
1905 - Philipp Lenard
1904 - Lord Rayleigh
1903 - Henri Becquerel, Pierre Curie, Marie Curie
1902 - Hendrik A. Lorentz, Pieter Zeeman
1901 - Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Albert Fert - France
Peter Grünberg - Germany

What's giant magnetoresistance? I've never heard of it.

The EU is dominating. Is the U.S. no longer on the cutting-edge? :)devil: :yes:)

I think it's related to the culture. There seems to be a movement in popular culture making people more focused on the moment, and less interested in education or the future. Educating them has forced us to focus only on the basics, and drilling them in as well as possible via the most repetitive, basic methods possible, because they all have such short attention spans. If I knew only what I had learned in school, and had never supplemented it with research out of sheer curiosity, I might be less than well-informed on a number of issues, if you know what I mean. If the people with more potential and interest were the only ones allowed to learn, then the instructional methods could be designed such that they got the most out of the course, but the compulsory education system and public praise based simply on the number of students passing forces lower standards. It's a sad case of quantity over quality.

Sorry if I sound judgmental, it's just so worrying. Why do I so often worry about things I can't control? It's like a bad habit of mine.

ygolo

My termites win
What's giant magnetoresistance? I've never heard of it.

Think hard drives.

I think it's related to the culture. There seems to be a movement in popular culture making people more focused on the moment, and less interested in education or the future. Educating them has forced us to focus only on the basics, and drilling them in as well as possible via the most repetitive, basic methods possible, because they all have such short attention spans. If I knew only what I had learned in school, and had never supplemented it with research out of sheer curiosity, I might be less than well-informed on a number of issues, if you know what I mean. If the people with more potential and interest were the only ones allowed to learn, then the instructional methods could be designed such that they got the most out of the course, but the compulsory education system and public praise based simply on the number of students passing forces lower standards. It's a sad case of quantity over quality.

Sorry if I sound judgmental, it's just so worrying. Why do I so often worry about things I can't control? It's like a bad habit of mine.

I personally think the U.S. public education system worked well for me. But I haven't been in school recently, so you may be relating the typical experience.

I have noted a dip in intellectual aims of the country as a whole in recent years. I am not sure what to make of it. I think the points made in Anti-Intellectualism in American Life is still very relevant.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Seems like we would be neglectful if we didn't have a thread on the current happenings.

Seems like there are rather many prizes this year for discoveries further back in history. Though that is just my impression.

Nobelprize.org

The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2007
"for their discoveries of principles for introducing specific gene modifications in mice by the use of embryonic stem cells"
Mario R. Capecchi - USA
Sir Martin J. Evans - UK
Oliver Smithies- USA

Albert Fert - France
Peter Grünberg - Germany

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2007
Gerhard Ertl - Germany

You accepted a number of Jews to build the bomb.
Hence the prices.

You have got the bomb.
No prices.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I personally think the U.S. public education system worked well for me. But I haven't been in school recently, so you may be relating the typical experience.

I have noted a dip in intellectual aims of the country as a whole in recent years. I am not sure what to make of it. I think the points made in Anti-Intellectualism in American Life is still very relevant.

Yes. It's so frustrating, too. I mean, I'm just an NF, and disturbingly enough, I end up knowing more than most of the people around me, sometimes even teachers. It's very frightening, because I don't feel as though I've worked at being or even wanted to be intelligent, but that I've just happened to pick all of this up. I mean, I'm not that intelligent, but I still know more than many of the people around me, which must mean they're exceptionally dense. It makes me feel panicked that the government, technology, and military are going to fall apart because soon no one will be knowledgeable enough about how anything works to keep things going.

I'm just worried... and scared.

ygolo

My termites win
You accepted a number of Jews to build the bomb.
Hence the prices.

You have got the bomb.
No prices.

Sad, but there is a lot of truth in what you say. We then had the cold-war which spured us again.

A lot of the robotics technology tha came out recently was due to the war on terror.

Hate, greed, and dogmatism seems to fund our research. I think it is testiment to the pursuit-of-truth in bearing good fruit with such poisoned water.

Yes. It's so frustrating, too. I mean, I'm just an NF, and disturbingly enough, I end up knowing more than most of the people around me, sometimes even teachers. It's very frightening, because I don't feel as though I've worked at being or even wanted to be intelligent, but that I've just happened to pick all of this up. I mean, I'm not that intelligent, but I still know more than many of the people around me, which must mean they're exceptionally dense. It makes me feel panicked that the government, technology, and military are going to fall apart because soon no one will be knowledgeable enough about how anything works to keep things going.

I'm just worried... and scared.

I blame Anti-Intellectualism as the root cause for lack of U.S. competitiveness in recent years in Science and Technology.

ygolo

My termites win
With all our National News we neglected to mention these

http://nobelprize.org/lists/all/

2008 - Chemistry, Martin Chalfie
Chemistry, Osamu Shimomura
Chemistry, Roger Y. Tsien
Economics, Paul Krugman
Literature, Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio
Medicine, Françoise Barré-Sinoussi
Medicine, Luc Montagnier
Medicine, Harald zur Hausen
Peace, Martti Ahtisaari
Physics, Makoto Kobayashi
Physics, Toshihide Maskawa
Physics, Yoichiro Nambu

Thoughts?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
i should really know this, but i wonder if philosophers get nobel prizes for their philosophy. would it be under literature?

ygolo

My termites win
It's Nobel Prize time again

Press Release - Announcements of the 2009 Nobel Prizes

Monday, October 5
11:30 a.m. at the earliest The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet, Wallenbergsalen, Nobel Forum, Nobels väg 1, Stockholm

Tuesday, October 6
11:45 a.m. at the earliest The Nobel Prize in Physics
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Sessionssalen, Lilla Frescativägen 4A, Stockholm

Wednesday, October 7
11:45 a.m. at the earliest The Nobel Prize in Chemistry
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Sessionssalen, Lilla Frescativägen 4A, Stockholm

Friday, October 9
11:00 a.m. The Nobel Peace Prize
The Norwegian Nobel Committee, The Norwegian Nobel Institute, Store Sal, Henrik Ibsens gate 51, Oslo

Monday, October 12
1:00 p.m. at the earliest The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel

I wonder why the Literature announcement isn't there (apparently it's on the 9th).

Medicine 2009
"for the discovery of how chromosomes are protected by telomeres and the enzyme telomerase"
Elizabeth H. Blackburn, Carol W. Greider, Jack W. Szostak

Physics 2009
"for groundbreaking achievements concerning the transmission of light in fibers for optical communication"
Charles K. Kao
"for the invention of an imaging semiconductor circuit – the CCD sensor"
Willard S. Boyle, George E. Smith

ygolo

My termites win
i should really know this, but i wonder if philosophers get nobel prizes for their philosophy. would it be under literature?

I would guess it would be in literature. Sorry that no one answered last year.