User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default Online University

I might transfer to Thomas Edison State University[ Thomas Edison State College ]. They are regionally accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. [http://www.tesc.edu/507.php]. They are recognized by the USDA and the CHEA [Regional Accreditation for Online Schools - The 6 Regional Accreditors ].

Has anyone been there? Has anyone finished their degree online? How was your experience?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Exactly how much do these schools cost?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Exactly how much do these schools cost?
    Depends

Thomas Edison State College/ Tuition & Financial Aid

I am working on an online Master's degree now. I will likely finish in the spring of this school year.

I couldn't actually attend my university if it weren't online. I also work full-time, so the online format is more convenient.

Even the top-notch schools have online classes. The HW, projects, and grading for the one I'm in are exactly the same as for on-campus students (except for one class w/ an in-class participation component). So I don't think there is a drop in quality of material covered.

Some other programs:

Free Online Course Materials

Autumn 2007-2008

We do miss the face-to-face interaction with professors, and peers.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am working on an online Master's degree now. I will likely finish in the spring of this school year.

I couldn't actually attend my university if it weren't online. I also work full-time, so the online format is more convenient.

Even the top-notch schools have online classes. The HW, projects, and grading for the one I'm in are exactly the same as for on-campus students (except for one class w/ an in-class participation component). So I don't think there is a drop in quality of material covered.

Some other programs:

Free Online Course Materials

Autumn 2007-2008

We do miss the face-to-face interaction with professors, and peers.
    How seriously do you think it will be taken by an employer? In your case, you already have an employer so it seems you have already proven yourself to you company and will receive future reward for this accomplishment. I, on the other hand wonder if a future employer will take an online university seriously due to how easy it is for students to cheat.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
    How seriously do you think it will be taken by an employer? In your case, you already have an employer so it seems you have already proven yourself to you company and will receive future reward for this accomplishment. I, on the other hand wonder if a future employer will take an online university seriously due to how easy it is for students to cheat.
    I also am working on a degree online, except through a public school... I'm not sure how the US accreditation works, but the public schools here are funded through the government and are controlled to ensure the transfer of credits... so essentially it is the exact same course. From what I understand, it's a lot more transparent up here... that makes it easier to explain!

But I also work full time so the risk is different - this is just for advancement. I think that it does pose something of a risk. The best solution (IMO) is to find a university that has a campus that you could attend, but are able to take most, if not all, courses online. The degree will be roughly the same on paper.

There is still a phobia about hiring people who have only online degrees... but there is also a phobia of hiring people without experience. If you can show that you took it online because you were doing something else, like working and such, then you'll probably end up ahead, not behind.

Enneagram
    1w2

From my experience, while it may be more convenient to get your degree from an online university, you have to be very sure they keep their accreditation up-to-date by a recognized accrediting body or your degree is useless.

Accreditation in the United States is a voluntary, non-governmental process, in which an institution and its programs are evaluated against standards for measuring quality.

An unrecognized accrediting agency should be viewed with caution until its reputation can be determined. Although these accrediting agencies are unrecognized, it does not mean that they do not have high standards of quality. Likewise, because the Secretary or CHEA does not recognize an accrediting agency does not mean that the institutions accredited by that agency do not provide a quality education.
    Here's some info from the U.S. Department of Education -- Diploma Mills

Here's a link to check if that school is accredited or not (looks like it is ).

ETA: Oops, I should have finished reading the OP. Oh well.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
    True, I'm already past the point where the degree will gain me anything for this employer. But I think a degree is good to have for when you are looking for a new job.

As far as accreditation goes, if you stick to a well known school, and make sure the material and degree awarded is exactly the same as for students who take courses on-campus, future employers will take it seriously (and can make no real distinction from you physically attending that school).

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I'm wondering, how does the grading system work? You get the material online, and then go to the campus to take the exams? It surely looks like an awesome options for students in the USA that are usually highly indebted if they do not work while getting their degree. I'm wondering though, how do you handle the mental fatigue of working and studying? I do too work approx 30 hours a week and go to school, but work is exclusively from home, and thus I can exercise freely to clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm wondering, how does the grading system work? You get the material online, and then go to the campus to take the exams? It surely looks like an awesome options for students in the USA that are usually highly indebted if they do not work while getting their degree. I'm wondering though, how do you handle the mental fatigue of working and studying? I do too work approx 30 hours a week and go to school, but work is exclusively from home, and thus I can exercise freely to clear my mind.
    For me, the lectures are online. Lab projects, simulations and program submissions, and so on are done by logging into computing machines on campus.

Exams are proctored by someone at the company, and faxed back to the school.

As far as mental fatigue. I am not sure. I take far fewer classes than the full-time students. I do get tired from time to time, and despite the fact that this is a master's program, I am one again experiencing "senior-itis" as I get to the last year of taking classes online.

Robot Fusion