• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Famous Lies In Science

Heero

MBTI Type
ITNP
What is your favorite "common sense" notions about science, technology, etc that are absolutely incorrect by scientific standards? List as many as you can think of, get out the hate, pull an infy! Keep it civil please, if you disagree with someone don't cause a ruckus, just let it go, people can be wrong (and so can science) but this is just for bitching. If you, however, have a scientific basis for disagreeing, please cite it and call it good. This is -A THREAD FOR BITCHING-. No crap about "but but but but I disagree cause old sayings are good :[". If you disagree it's cool, science isn't always right, but once again, this thread is for SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY AND COMPLAINTS! :p

Alright, now for mine.

Colds - They aren't caused by cold temperatures, I'm not going to get a cold by going outside during the winter. Could people PLEASE stop telling me "oh, you'll get a cold"! -NO- I won't!

Shutting Down - There is no difference between rebooting and shutting down and then starting back up as far as software goes. Yes, there are hardware problems this can fix, but it has -NOTHING TO DO- with whether or not windows works. It re-executes the BIOS initialization code, it RESTARTS regardless of which you do! Stop being idioths (yes, that is supposed to be spelled that way).

That's all for now, I'm sure infy will infuse more of his hate into me later, for he is the fount of all hatred, from which it comes and to whom it returns. Now, let loose your own hate so that it may float back to the infy!

Last edited:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Sitting close to the TV or reading in dim lighting will damage your eyes.

Aven

MBTI Type
INTP
Omg, I only came in here for the infy.

Cause it's all that matters.
That and physics.

Aven

MBTI Type
INTP

Are you serious?! They all told me that was why I needed glasses! Wow...this is an epic moment for me...:|

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Preach it, sister!

How about, "Drinking alcohol out in the snow makes you warmer"?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On a related note, eating carrots making you see better.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There was also something about swimming immediately after eating, wasn't there? I don't think that one makes sense.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
There was also something about swimming immediately after eating, wasn't there? I don't think that one makes sense.

Actually it does, after eating your blood flows to your digestive trackt and so there is less blood in your limbs and your brain, which may cause you to become unconcious or get cramps, which is not so good when swimming (this is excaserbated if the water is cold, because that will cause the blood vessels to constrict and will cause the body to draw the warm blood to the vital organs.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
"Entropy makes evolution impossible". I really, really hate it when people say this.

"The second law of thermodynamics makes perpetual motion machines impossible". Technically, it doesn't, though combining the second law of thermodynamics with how other physical processes work does end up making them impossible. (I don't have too much a problem with this one, since the perpetual motion machines that are possible would only work in theory.)

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
All dust, germs, and bacteria are bad for you.

Seriously, our doctor used to always ask my dad why none of his children did not have asthma, as our family is reasonably large. My dad used to tell him it was because neither him or his wife drive, he taught his children rolling around in mud was good for his children, and he used to take them for long walks in the countryside from an early age.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Nonsense. You are all wrong. Apart from Falcarius of course.

Again, you are letting yourselves to be deceived.
The old sayings do have a point. They are usually right.

This is why they are old and lasting.
Science is not about who wrote the last chapter.

We all think "our age" is enlightened.
Age dependence is field dependence.
Not science.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm bothered by any variation of the "I don't trust doctors because no one knows my own precious child better than I do" school of healthcare, but to be specific I'll pick the anti-vaccination movement.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually it does, after eating your blood flows to your digestive trackt and so there is less blood in your limbs and your brain, which may cause you to become unconcious or get cramps, which is not so good when swimming (this is excaserbated if the water is cold, because that will cause the blood vessels to constrict and will cause the body to draw the warm blood to the vital organs.

Snopes comments.

"Entropy makes evolution impossible". I really, really hate it when people say this.

yes, that one always irked me too. It's like comparing apples to the proverbial oranges. (And is usually uttered by people who don't even know what the word "entropy" means.)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm bothered by any variation of the "I don't trust doctors because no one knows my own precious child better than I do" school of healthcare, but to be specific I'll pick the anti-vaccination movement.
Jesus.

Heero

MBTI Type
ITNP

Wrong. The cold water part is right, otherwise totally incorrect. The worst that will do is it will cause you to get runner's lung or feel tired faster, it isn't wise to exercise in general after eating, if you're out of shape you can have a heart attack. This being said, it has nothing to do with "cramps" and drowning. Even if you were to get a cramp, you won't die, as cramps are not something that paralyzes you and makes you unable to swim. Check snopes, wikipedia, etc.

Sorry, didn't see you'd already posted something about this Jennifer :p!

Heero

MBTI Type
ITNP
Nonsense. You are all wrong. Apart from Falcarius of course.

Again, you are letting yourselves to be deceived.
The old sayings do have a point. They are usually right.

This is why they are old and lasting.
Science is not about who wrote the last chapter.

We all think "our age" is enlightened.
Age dependence is field dependence.
Not science.

I think I made it clear, the point of this thread isn't to argue about why you disagree with other people unless you have a scientific basis, it's for bitching, kthx :}

Oh, and regarding the evolution thing, totally agree. The fun part is they never quote the entire second law, it's -VERY- precise about where it applies, only in closed systems must the entropy count rise. The earth's not a closed system, it has energy input from the sun. I talked to someone about that once, and she told me the sun's energy wasn't productive, so I asked her how plants exist :p