User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Does wearing glasses or contacts make your eyesight worse?
    No. But wearing contacts for a long time (I mean decades) can cause your eyes to get hypersensitive to having contacts in them. As far as I know, your eyesight either gets better or it gets worse, but it has nothing to do with wearing glasses or contacts.

My favourite blacklisted "truth": You get salmonella (as in moderate to severe food poisoning) from eating raw eggs.

Not necessarily true. If you're very young, very old, or already sick you might get full blown salmonella, but in most cases the average healthy person will not get it. If anything, their digestive tract might get a tiny bit whoozy for a day or two depending on what they ate.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Heero View Post
    Wrong. The cold water part is right, otherwise totally incorrect. The worst that will do is it will cause you to get runner's lung or feel tired faster, it isn't wise to exercise in general after eating, if you're out of shape you can have a heart attack. This being said, it has nothing to do with "cramps" and drowning. Even if you were to get a cramp, you won't die, as cramps are not something that paralyzes you and makes you unable to swim. Check snopes, wikipedia, etc.

Sorry, didn't see you'd already posted something about this Jennifer :P!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Did the Holocaust really happen or is it just an elaborate hoax like the moon landing? (In America, I can question this.)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Did the Holocaust really happen or is it just an elaborate hoax like the moon landing? (In America, I can question this.)
    Actually, you can question this wherever you want, the repercussions of voicing your questioning might be severe in other countries, but you can certainly question it.
    Deja que pasemos sin miedo.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

The only reason the "Entropy makes evolution impossible" argument works at all is that people learn "entropy=disorder", think "evolution=more complex=less disordered", and than combine the two, so basically, it's a bunch of arguers taking advantage of lack of knowledge and misconceptions.

Oh, and regarding the evolution thing, totally agree. The fun part is they never quote the entire second law, it's -VERY- precise about where it applies, only in closed systems must the entropy count rise. The earth's not a closed system, it has energy input from the sun. I talked to someone about that once, and she told me the sun's energy wasn't productive, so I asked her how plants exist :P
    The version I would likely use in an argument is:

All biological processes obey the second law of thermodynamics (Although entropy increase is used for closed systems, there are other conditions for different types of systems that allow people to work out what the most stable state will be.), including reproduction, and evolution over time will just be a bunch of biological processes over and over where the life forms tend to change over time.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    Actually, you can question this wherever you want, the repercussions of voicing your questioning might be severe in other countries, but you can certainly question it.
    Meet Ernst and Fred. Both have gotten thrown in jail for expressing their beliefs.

The treatment Holocaust deniers receive for expressing their views in most European countries is a violation of basic human rights and quite fascist itself.

Such punishment for denying it leads me to believe that these people are merely cutting further into the truth and hence pose a threat to those who hold power.

MBTI
    INTP

I think I made it clear, the point of this thread isn't to argue about why you disagree with other people unless you have a scientific basis, it's for bitching, kthx :}

Oh, and regarding the evolution thing, totally agree. The fun part is they never quote the entire second law, it's -VERY- precise about where it applies, only in closed systems must the entropy count rise. The earth's not a closed system, it has energy input from the sun. I talked to someone about that once, and she told me the sun's energy wasn't productive, so I asked her how plants exist :P
    The weirdest thing about evolution is the beginning. The threshold of the inanimate and the animate. If the sun's energy wasn't productive, how anything came by? And of course we have to rule miracle out.
    How many different amino acid combinations do we have? What is the level of sophistication to create enzymes? At the same time there is the apparent simplicity of the nucleotide organism.
    Why did it take such a long time to find the DNA? Without Crick they would not have found it. I have always marvelled at the simplicity in complexity. We are confused by astronomical numbers. Yet extreme variation is inbuilt in a simple system.
    System is order.
    We do not live in a closed order, no. Who does?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

On evolution: Who knows? Maybe the world was created in 7 earth days.

Evolution has always remained a theory.

MBTI
    INTP

Yes, Uberfuhrer. Holocaust really did happen.
    So did moon landing.

MBTI
    INTP

On evolution: Who knows? Maybe the world was created in 7 earth days.

Evolution has always remained a theory.
    The world is still being created. Galaxies are born all the time.
    The study of the genome has affirmed the theory of evolution. It is basically sound. So is the theory of Mendel.