User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

There was also something about swimming immediately after eating, wasn't there? I don't think that one makes sense.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    There was also something about swimming immediately after eating, wasn't there? I don't think that one makes sense.
    Actually it does, after eating your blood flows to your digestive trackt and so there is less blood in your limbs and your brain, which may cause you to become unconcious or get cramps, which is not so good when swimming (this is excaserbated if the water is cold, because that will cause the blood vessels to constrict and will cause the body to draw the warm blood to the vital organs.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

"Entropy makes evolution impossible". I really, really hate it when people say this.

"The second law of thermodynamics makes perpetual motion machines impossible". Technically, it doesn't, though combining the second law of thermodynamics with how other physical processes work does end up making them impossible. (I don't have too much a problem with this one, since the perpetual motion machines that are possible would only work in theory.)

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

All dust, germs, and bacteria are bad for you.

Seriously, our doctor used to always ask my dad why none of his children did not have asthma, as our family is reasonably large. My dad used to tell him it was because neither him or his wife drive, he taught his children rolling around in mud was good for his children, and he used to take them for long walks in the countryside from an early age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTP

Nonsense. You are all wrong. Apart from Falcarius of course.

Again, you are letting yourselves to be deceived.
    The old sayings do have a point. They are usually right.

This is why they are old and lasting.
    Science is not about who wrote the last chapter.

We all think "our age" is enlightened.
    Age dependence is field dependence.
    Not science.

I'm bothered by any variation of the "I don't trust doctors because no one knows my own precious child better than I do" school of healthcare, but to be specific I'll pick the anti-vaccination movement.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post
    Actually it does, after eating your blood flows to your digestive trackt and so there is less blood in your limbs and your brain, which may cause you to become unconcious or get cramps, which is not so good when swimming (this is excaserbated if the water is cold, because that will cause the blood vessels to constrict and will cause the body to draw the warm blood to the vital organs.
    Snopes comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    "Entropy makes evolution impossible". I really, really hate it when people say this.
    yes, that one always irked me too. It's like comparing apples to the proverbial oranges. (And is usually uttered by people who don't even know what the word "entropy" means.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I'm bothered by any variation of the "I don't trust doctors because no one knows my own precious child better than I do" school of healthcare, but to be specific I'll pick the anti-vaccination movement.
    Jesus.

MBTI
    ITNP

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Razor View Post
    Wrong. The cold water part is right, otherwise totally incorrect. The worst that will do is it will cause you to get runner's lung or feel tired faster, it isn't wise to exercise in general after eating, if you're out of shape you can have a heart attack. This being said, it has nothing to do with "cramps" and drowning. Even if you were to get a cramp, you won't die, as cramps are not something that paralyzes you and makes you unable to swim. Check snopes, wikipedia, etc.

Sorry, didn't see you'd already posted something about this Jennifer :P!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance.

MBTI
    ITNP

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Nonsense. You are all wrong. Apart from Falcarius of course.

Again, you are letting yourselves to be deceived.
    The old sayings do have a point. They are usually right.

This is why they are old and lasting.
    Science is not about who wrote the last chapter.

We all think "our age" is enlightened.
    Age dependence is field dependence.
    Not science.
    I think I made it clear, the point of this thread isn't to argue about why you disagree with other people unless you have a scientific basis, it's for bitching, kthx :}

Oh, and regarding the evolution thing, totally agree. The fun part is they never quote the entire second law, it's -VERY- precise about where it applies, only in closed systems must the entropy count rise. The earth's not a closed system, it has energy input from the sun. I talked to someone about that once, and she told me the sun's energy wasn't productive, so I asked her how plants exist :P
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance.