User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think about becoming Borg?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to be assimilated.

1 4.00%
  • I want the enhancements, but I don't want to lose my individuality.

15 60.00%
  • Eww! No way! That's inhuman!

7 28.00%
  • Other (please explain)

2 8.00%
12 Last

Thread: Becoming Borg

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Becoming Borg

What do you think about the idea of becoming more like Borg? That is, using things like genetic engineering and technology to make improvements to ourselves. Or possibly even living in a collective consciousness?

Does it bother you simply because it isn't "natural," "comfortable," or "moral"? Or do you have any other objection? Does it sound good to you? Tell us!

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I've always thought that cybnertic enhancement was the real next step in terms of "evolution" for humans, since we don't really face any environmental pressure anymore. Also, the realities of space travel may prove simply too hazardous and complex for purely organic systems that have billions of years of evolution tailored to a particular environment, so intergration may be the way to go.

However, a collective consciousness should be avoided. I do think our humanity is held in our minds, not necessarily our bodies.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

No, never.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

I think perhaps gene therapy would be much more exciting in terms of enhancement, though x-ray vision goggles may not be just another novelty in the classified section of popular mechanics anymore in time.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Athenian, are you sure you aren't an INTJ?

I've just always wondered.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post

From what I can tell, Athenian is more likely an INXJ than INTJ, but don't ask for my logical basis. I suck at that sort of thing

I agree with Jock, though. The cybernetic enhancements will help when it comes to a lot of extreme environments. Since a lot of the things we need to explore are too hazardous for our squishy pink bodies but require our squishy gray brain to pull off effectively; unless we have a huge leap in AI programming.

The only problem with cybernetics development is the military use and use in destructive means. I can easily imagine the Freakshow from City of Heroes when I think of bad cybernetics use.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

heart on fire

Aren't the Borg actually a collective where they hear and share each other's thoughts? *shudders* I am myself and if I can't be, I don't want to exist. Period.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I've always thought that cybnertic enhancement was the real next step in terms of "evolution" for humans, since we don't really face any environmental pressure anymore. Also, the realities of space travel may prove simply too hazardous and complex for purely organic systems that have billions of years of evolution tailored to a particular environment, so intergration may be the way to go.

However, a collective consciousness should be avoided. I do think our humanity is held in our minds, not necessarily our bodies.
    That's what I think, too.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post

I'm ALMOST an INTJ. I just couldn't quite make the jump.

My function order looks like this:

Ni > Ti > Fe > Ne=Si > Te=Se > Fi

So basically, I failed to be an NT on a technicality or two, namely my lack of Ne and Te. I'm what you'd get if you crossed an ENTP and an INTJ, doubled the eccentricity/perceptiveness, cut the practicality in half, subtracted the confidence, and added an inferiority complex and need for acceptance.

In other words, I'm comfortable with NTs being antiseptic, clinical, analytical, logical, and focused. But I'm not comfortable with their drivenness, crude practicality, bluntness, belligerence, and openness to pointless experience and fun for its own sake.

Also, I'm far more willing to pay attention to what others want to hear than most TJs... I don't have that whole bluntness/oblivious thing. I also don't have that ridiculous obsession with honesty/telling the truth even when it doesn't benefit me.

If anything, I'd say INFJs would be more receptive to the idea of being Borg than INTJs, simply because we tend to have Fe instead of Fi. Fi is way more resistant to that stuff.

It's probably true that I'm more INxJ than INFJ, but I'd rather just pick a letter that reflects my functional order most closely. And besides... since NTs are less accepting, have more rigorous standards, can be kind of crass, and calling yourself one is like bragging about your intellect, I decided INFJ sounded better (how's THAT for F?).

MBTI
    INxJ

Genetic engineering is right up my alley.
    Collective consciousness, hell no.

MBTI
    STFU

transhumanism is exciting and terrifying at the same time.