• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Becoming Borg

What do you think about becoming Borg?

• I'd like to be assimilated.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I want the enhancements, but I don't want to lose my individuality.

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Eww! No way! That's inhuman!

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What do you think about the idea of becoming more like Borg? That is, using things like genetic engineering and technology to make improvements to ourselves. Or possibly even living in a collective consciousness?

Does it bother you simply because it isn't "natural," "comfortable," or "moral"? Or do you have any other objection? Does it sound good to you? Tell us! :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I've always thought that cybnertic enhancement was the real next step in terms of "evolution" for humans, since we don't really face any environmental pressure anymore. Also, the realities of space travel may prove simply too hazardous and complex for purely organic systems that have billions of years of evolution tailored to a particular environment, so intergration may be the way to go.

However, a collective consciousness should be avoided. I do think our humanity is held in our minds, not necessarily our bodies.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I think perhaps gene therapy would be much more exciting in terms of enhancement, though x-ray vision goggles may not be just another novelty in the classified section of popular mechanics anymore in time.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Athenian, are you sure you aren't an INTJ?

I've just always wondered.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1

From what I can tell, Athenian is more likely an INXJ than INTJ, but don't ask for my logical basis. I suck at that sort of thing :D

I agree with Jock, though. The cybernetic enhancements will help when it comes to a lot of extreme environments. Since a lot of the things we need to explore are too hazardous for our squishy pink bodies but require our squishy gray brain to pull off effectively; unless we have a huge leap in AI programming.

The only problem with cybernetics development is the military use and use in destructive means. I can easily imagine the Freakshow from City of Heroes when I think of bad cybernetics use.

heart

heart on fire
Aren't the Borg actually a collective where they hear and share each other's thoughts? *shudders* I am myself and if I can't be, I don't want to exist. Period.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've always thought that cybnertic enhancement was the real next step in terms of "evolution" for humans, since we don't really face any environmental pressure anymore. Also, the realities of space travel may prove simply too hazardous and complex for purely organic systems that have billions of years of evolution tailored to a particular environment, so intergration may be the way to go.

However, a collective consciousness should be avoided. I do think our humanity is held in our minds, not necessarily our bodies.

That's what I think, too. :yes:

I'm ALMOST an INTJ. I just couldn't quite make the jump.

My function order looks like this:

Ni > Ti > Fe > Ne=Si > Te=Se > Fi

So basically, I failed to be an NT on a technicality or two, namely my lack of Ne and Te. I'm what you'd get if you crossed an ENTP and an INTJ, doubled the eccentricity/perceptiveness, cut the practicality in half, subtracted the confidence, and added an inferiority complex and need for acceptance.

In other words, I'm comfortable with NTs being antiseptic, clinical, analytical, logical, and focused. But I'm not comfortable with their drivenness, crude practicality, bluntness, belligerence, and openness to pointless experience and fun for its own sake.

Also, I'm far more willing to pay attention to what others want to hear than most TJs... I don't have that whole bluntness/oblivious thing. I also don't have that ridiculous obsession with honesty/telling the truth even when it doesn't benefit me.

If anything, I'd say INFJs would be more receptive to the idea of being Borg than INTJs, simply because we tend to have Fe instead of Fi. Fi is way more resistant to that stuff. ;)

It's probably true that I'm more INxJ than INFJ, but I'd rather just pick a letter that reflects my functional order most closely. And besides... since NTs are less accepting, have more rigorous standards, can be kind of crass, and calling yourself one is like bragging about your intellect, I decided INFJ sounded better (how's THAT for F?).

MBTI Type
INxJ
Genetic engineering is right up my alley.
Collective consciousness, hell no.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
transhumanism is exciting and terrifying at the same time.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Nope. The only thing I like is replacement parts for when my natural ones wear out. (or, more optimally, ways of making the human body heal/regenerate itself.)

Otherwise, I like being entirely human, genetics is interesting though. And the idea of potentially finding ways to stop things like aging. But, the concept of replacing body parts with computerized/mechanical ones or augmenting myself with them, no way.

Objection is on personal grounds, along with distrust of it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What do you think about the idea of becoming more like Borg? That is, using things like genetic engineering and technology to make improvements to ourselves. Or possibly even living in a collective consciousness?

Does it bother you simply because it isn't "natural," "comfortable," or "moral"? Or do you have any other objection? Does it sound good to you? Tell us! :)

You made me afraid a bit by saying "Tell us"

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

I would want to become Borg, so I could undo the collective consciousness from within. "We'd never see it coming because we never suspected we'd join the collective for such a crazy reason." ;)

I'd want them to break free and think for themselves. Go forth and do stupid things. Make mistakes. Learn to be an individual, and then they can learn what wisdom truly is. :) After that they could come back together if they like. A collection of individuals has much more potential effectiveness than a collective.

The final thought of the collective before they were ultimately disbanded would be. "We were Borg. We are being unassimilated. Resistance is futile. Have a nice day." :)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Hm, I have a hard time picking, because I'm not against assimilation, it would be both a practical solution to a lot of human problems and being part of a collective conscious sounds very peaceful. It seems unlikely though that our society would continue progressing after that point if everyone is essentially sharing one brain.

So I'd prefer mechanical enhancements, but maybe a part-time assimilation would be more my style.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
While the collective focus of the Borg is intriguing, ultimately it's revealed that they are controlled by a queen or centralized command. So basically it's some pseudo-Communist organization with an authoritarian rule, like Soviet Russia.