User Tag List

12 Last

heart on fire

Default Chinese summer camps DNA tests kids ID genetic gifts, careers

In China, DNA tests on kids ID genetic gifts, careers - CNN.com

updated 6:24 a.m. EDT, Wed August 5, 2009

•Chinese summer camps DNA tests kids for natural talents

•Tests carried out for IQ, emotional control, memory, athletic ability and more

•Believed to be first time DNA tests used to identify talents rather than disease

Article at link

Thoughts?

MBTI
    INTP

If the science is sound, that is, if they can really identify genetic advantages, then I'm all for nurturing talents.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Oh you found it, I was thinking about posting this news.

I just have to wonder about kids who excel in areas they don't like. Or that like areas in which they don't excel. Should they be allowed to be mediocre, if that's what they want?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Oh you found it, I was thinking about posting this news.

I just have to wonder about kids who excel in areas they don't like. Or that like areas in which they don't excel. Should they be allowed to be mediocre, if that's what they want?
    I don't know. I mean, there are lots of children who excel in areas they don't like, and their parents find out about this without genetic testing and push them into that field anyway. I don't know if genetic testing for it would make it much worse than it already is for kids whose parents are already so inclined.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

As long as they aren't leading the kids into any careers that aren't actually what they typed out as (like using it as a way of forcing all of the kids into what the government wants), then I find it a great thing.

At least they aren't telling the kids where to go, but seeing what they are naturally good at. Assuming they aren't lying to them.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Sniffles

This is a bad idea.

MBTI
    INTP

Any Geneticists or people familiar with it know how sound the science is with this? I know they can spot genes that are associated with disease, but can they really identify talents?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Any Geneticists or people familiar with it know how sound the science is with this? I know they can spot genes that are associated with disease, but can they really identify talents?
    Even assuming the science is sound(which I doubt), there's still the more important ethical issue at play here.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

watch the movie gataca....

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I don't know. I mean, there are lots of children who excel in areas they don't like, and their parents find out about this without genetic testing and push them into that field anyway. I don't know if genetic testing for it would make it much worse than it already is for kids whose parents are already so inclined.
    Really? At least parents have an emotional bond with their children. What does the state have?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."