User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Default Einstein-Rosenburg Bridges

Let's talk about folding space (notice I didn't say let's talk about black holes, as I didn't want this astrophysics inquiry to be confused with a biological one).

What are the latest theories out there?
    Are we any closer to finding the theoretical "graviton" particles and how would that change our views on physics and ultimately our ability (or lack thereof) to get to the next star system over within a reasonable time period?
    So far, have we discovered any planets in the Alpha/Beta/Proxima Centauri system?
    What are the most likely candidates to harbor an Earth-like planet that are nearby?

Talk to me. I want to see the Kentaurus in all their beauty before I die within a reasonable distance (say...1 AU of Alpha)
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Last time I checked, they were saying that they discovered that the universe may be doughnut shaped, spiraling towards the center of the ring at every point, and either expanding, contracting or neither, depending on that C factor that Einstein forgot to mention. Folding space is just a theory, it takes infinite energy to do it, so it's pretty well guaranteed that we wont ever build a machine to do it (like in just about all of sci-fi)
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Well that's depressing. Any other FTL ideas?
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    Well that's depressing. Any other FTL ideas?
    lol, how is that depressing? Black holes practically have infinite energy, there's still always a chance that we could use them in the future... although, that much energy is far beyond deadly and we'd probably have enough trouble just sending a probe to the nearest black hole.
    5 3 9

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    lol, how is that depressing? Black holes practically have infinite energy, there's still always a chance that we could use them in the future... although, that much energy is far beyond deadly and we'd probably have enough trouble just sending a probe to the nearest black hole.
    We could send them, but we'd never be able to get any information back from them. They're self contained systems.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    We could send them, but we'd never be able to get any information back from them. They're self contained systems.
    Would they get there within our lifespans though?
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Would they get there within our lifespans though?
    "Lifespan" is a fairly fluid term. More likely than not, by the time we are able to have successful technological communication with Black Holes, we'll have long solved the problem of biological decay.

Actually, the ideas are kinda interrelated. Dyson Swarms might be the earliest, easiest means of safely interacting with a Black Hole/Event Horizon while reducing resource sacrifice (beyond financial loss). A Dyson Swarm bot is simply a complex Nanobot (the same technology we will likely soon be using to slow/eliminate aging and death) operating within a collective, whose sole purpose is to gather meaningful information and then transmit the data back to its host source (us).

Once we have a reliable model of communication, we can then explore how humans might best interact with intense gravitometric phenomenon.

Gravitons come next.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

The nearest black hole is "1,600 light years from Earth". If we tried hard enough, we might get to it in about 50 million years (super rough calculation), assuming we're around that long. We could make a faster rocket of course, but it's still rather impractical, but possible, and I suppose thats what really matters. I wonder what kind of information we could get from going one on one with a black hole...
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Sorry to break it to you guys, but they're doing gravity research right now. the LHC in Switzerland is one of the labs that have been created to isolate it or its effects.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Sorry to break it to you guys, but they're doing graviton research right now. the LHC in Switzerland is one of the labs that have been created to isolate them or their effects.
    I was under the impression the LHC can't collide things at the energy required to see gravitons. I don't think they'll find them anyways though, but I have nothing to base that off of.

Higgs boson is far more likely. That'd be impressive.