User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Metric Time

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Tis metric method seems too stale too me.

I kind of enjoy having to look on my watch in order to check what date it is without having it imprinted as a counter in my brain.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Tis metric method seems too stale too me.

I kind of enjoy having to look on my watch in order to check what date it is without having it imprinted as a counter in my brain.
    Yep, that seems to be general consensus...

People appreciate extremely annoying, poorly designed, yet aesthetically appealing things above all else.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Yep, that seems to be general consensus...

People appreciate extremely annoying, poorly designed, yet aesthetically appealing things above all else.
    P's most definatly I would assume.

Not everything has to fit through a needles eye all the time.

I don't think I'd mind either in the long run by the way. But I do not see any reason for change either.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTx

I suppose the question would be what benefit such a transition would make. Certainly the structure is cleaner but otherwise it seems too massive an undertaking to bother with. I like metric measurements because it unifies a number of things - weight, volume, temprature, but time is something of its own thing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

the 24 hour thing is kind of silly, but it's based off of a system in Ancient Egypt where they set out 10 hours for the day, 10 hours for the night, and two hours each for sunrise and sunset. 60 minutes and 60 seconds is from Babylon which used a base 60 number system (this is also where we get the 360 degrees for a full angular rotation). If I remember correctly the only time scales officially recorded as metric are Years (a) and Seconds (s).
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Sigh. The fact that "there's A reason" (regardless of whether it's still a very good reason) appears to be enough justification for most people to keep doing things they way they've been doing them rather than try to improve. For instance... I can't imagine a society that used digital/metric time would ever decide to switch to what we use now. But people sure do want to cling to it regardless. And you know why? They have no vision.
    So a completely legitimate reason to keep things the way they are isn't accepted and we should just accept otherwise we're clinging on to some archaic pointless(and unfounded) system?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by iamathousandapples View Post
    So a completely legitimate reason to keep things the way they are isn't accepted and we should just accept otherwise we're clinging on to some archaic pointless(and unfounded) system?
    Yes, it's like that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I find that part of the problem is that the ratio of days to years is non-decimal to start with. You can cut a day up decimal if you want, the phase over would take a while due to the political entertainment of getting it adopted everywhere. Years are already counted in decimal so that's not much of an issue. A decimal clock definitely would need some serious international co-operation to go through, and then the time needed to make sure there are software updates ready to get computers and atomic clocks to run on the new scale.

The change, however would end up requiring a redefinition of other Metric measurements, especially in terms of movement, force, energy. Physics text books would need to be rewritten and distributed. Everyone would need to be flash educated on the new system.

Someone also, will need to pay for all these changes; something the masses don't enjoy doing if what they're already using isn't broken. I'm sure your argument that you can't keep track of what day it is will be less than compelling to the less than logical average person. The issue is logistics and collective inertia.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I find that part of the problem is that the ratio of days to years is non-decimal to start with. You can cut a day up decimal if you want, the phase over would take a while due to the political entertainment of getting it adopted everywhere. Years are already counted in decimal so that's not much of an issue. A decimal clock definitely would need some serious international co-operation to go through, and then the time needed to make sure there are software updates ready to get computers and atomic clocks to run on the new scale.

The change, however would end up requiring a redefinition of other Metric measurements, especially in terms of movement, force, energy. Physics text books would need to be rewritten and distributed. Everyone would need to be flash educated on the new system.

Someone also, will need to pay for all these changes; something the masses don't enjoy doing if what they're already using isn't broken. I'm sure your argument that you can't keep track of what day it is will be less than compelling to the less than logical average person. The issue is logistics and collective inertia.
    I agree with all your points about logistics/politics and such.

But it sounds like you're at least admitting that we've stuck with what we have now rather than improving it because of human silliness rather than because it has any real merit, right?

If that's the case, I agree. In fact, I did say that I didn't think it would be accepted in my OP. Americans are the worst, though... they won't even adopt metric measurements. No way would they ever adopt metric time.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I agree with all your points about logistics/politics and such.

But it sounds like you're at least admitting that we've stuck with what we have now rather than improving it because of human silliness rather than because it has any real merit, right?

If that's the case, I agree. In fact, I did say that I didn't think it would be accepted in my OP. Americans are the worst, though... they won't even adopt metric measurements. No way would they ever adopt metric time.
    To be honest I don't see how not changing is silly, if anything, changing just to change is far sillier than not changing.

I don't see how the Metric system is an improvement on the current one. It's just different.