• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

HUMONGOUS CRYSTAL CAVE!!!

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Thanks for that, it looks amazing. I'll make it there someday.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
The most beautiful and amazing thing I've ever seen. It was taking the image a while to download ('cause I'm on dial-up) I thought at first I was seeing just a small group of individual crystals. When it finally downloaded, I realized that the small orangish, reddish smears scattered in the picture were people!

Thanks for posting it, Risen. :)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Well I can't say that I am that much impressed. From what I understood from the story those are just CaCO3 crystals that are somewhat bigger then it is usual.

As far as I know in Brazil you can find crystals that are 200 feet long.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well I can't say that I am that much impressed. From what I understood from the story those are just CaCO3 crystals that are somewhat bigger then it is usual.

As far as I know in Brazil you can find crystals that are 200 feet long.

I don't know. They say these are the largest crystals on earth, and 200 feet sounds rather impossible to fit anywhere. Did you see the pictures??? Those things are like towers compared to the size of the people.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Oooo, I watched a show on these. It was on right after the one I was planning on watching. (Draining the Oceans. Which happened to be friggin' sweet!)

It was interesting how big they were, but it was disappointing when they described how they were soft. I wanted them to be like giant diamonds, and all of the scientists could band together and make a buster sword like Cloud's, just for me.

They'd ship it to me right as they were done and I would do battle with evil-doers and fucked up junkies that would try to attack me in the alley when I get off work. I would just say, "screw that, you aren't getting any money from me!" and then as I smash his face while doing an imitation 'braver' on his face with my crystalline buster sword I would exclaim VAE VICTIS, woe to you little punk ass!:bananallama:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I heard one of the scientists studying these interviewed on the radio recently. It was captivating even without visuals. With visuals it's pretty awe-inspiring.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Yes I remember reading about these a while back, very cool stuff. By sheer luck did they find these caves, makes you wonder what else is hidden in such cave pockets around the world.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I wonder what they are going to do with the cave?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A Geode, cool, ^_^

They pull all kinds of smaller ones out of the ground all the time in Mexico, if I remember right.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I wonder what they are going to do with the cave?

Don't quote me but I did read an article where they were thinking about putting air conditioning in it (given how it stays around 120 degrees down there) and possibly opening it for the public. If I remember correctly there were actually two caves they came across, the smaller one is already being air conditioned. They were concerned if the change in temperature would somehow effect the large crystal structures.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Why why why would they open that to the public?! What if it gets vandalized? It should remain pristine.

Fuulie

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Are you talking about the one they featured on 'Planet Earth'?

Because that was AMAZING.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Don't quote me but I did read an article where they were thinking about putting air conditioning in it (given how it stays around 120 degrees down there) and possibly opening it for the public. If I remember correctly there were actually two caves they came across, the smaller one is already being air conditioned. They were concerned if the change in temperature would somehow effect the large crystal structures.

I doubt they'll do that. They're really trying to preserve the integrity of the cave, and supposedly, the influx of surface air is slowly changing the environment down there and weakening the large crystals such that they begin to fall down. This entire cave was immersed in water before the miners drained it and stopped the crystal growth process. Plus its way deep down in the mines.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
They're really trying to preserve the integrity of the cave, and supposedly, the influx of surface air is slowly changing the environment down there and weakening the large crystals such that they begin to fall down. This entire cave was immersed in water before the miners drained it and stopped the crystal growth process.

way to go, humans.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I think I was mislead,

taken from this website: Crystal Cave of Giants, Mexico - Crystalinks

"Walking into either of these caves is like stepping into a gigantic geode," said Richard D. Fisher, an American consultant with the mining company to develop the discoveries as tourist attractions. Fisher said that most people can endure only a few minutes in the caves due to their high temperatures. The smaller of the two, which is about the size of two-bedroom apartment, is 100 Fahrenheit. The large chamber, which Fisher describes as the size of a Cathedral, is 150 F. Both are located approximately 1200 feet below the surface. The mining company plans to air-condition the caves before opening them to the public next year, Fisher said. He adds that reducing the heat gradually will not harm the crystals.

The info seems dated, and I'm more inclined to believe the National Geographic article.

Also I noticed the dates are from back in 2001. I thought these were discovered relatively recently?

Anyhow, here is what is currently going on with the caves, according to the official Naica website: NAICA PROJECT / CRYSTALS' CAVE