User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I heard one of the scientists studying these interviewed on the radio recently. It was captivating even without visuals. With visuals it's pretty awe-inspiring.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    IsTP

Yes I remember reading about these a while back, very cool stuff. By sheer luck did they find these caves, makes you wonder what else is hidden in such cave pockets around the world.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I wonder what they are going to do with the cave?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

A Geode, cool, ^_^

They pull all kinds of smaller ones out of the ground all the time in Mexico, if I remember right.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    I wonder what they are going to do with the cave?
    Don't quote me but I did read an article where they were thinking about putting air conditioning in it (given how it stays around 120 degrees down there) and possibly opening it for the public. If I remember correctly there were actually two caves they came across, the smaller one is already being air conditioned. They were concerned if the change in temperature would somehow effect the large crystal structures.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Why why why would they open that to the public?! What if it gets vandalized? It should remain pristine.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Are you talking about the one they featured on 'Planet Earth'?

Because that was AMAZING.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    Don't quote me but I did read an article where they were thinking about putting air conditioning in it (given how it stays around 120 degrees down there) and possibly opening it for the public. If I remember correctly there were actually two caves they came across, the smaller one is already being air conditioned. They were concerned if the change in temperature would somehow effect the large crystal structures.
    I doubt they'll do that. They're really trying to preserve the integrity of the cave, and supposedly, the influx of surface air is slowly changing the environment down there and weakening the large crystals such that they begin to fall down. This entire cave was immersed in water before the miners drained it and stopped the crystal growth process. Plus its way deep down in the mines.

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    They're really trying to preserve the integrity of the cave, and supposedly, the influx of surface air is slowly changing the environment down there and weakening the large crystals such that they begin to fall down. This entire cave was immersed in water before the miners drained it and stopped the crystal growth process.
    way to go, humans.

MBTI
    IsTP

I think I was mislead,

taken from this website: Crystal Cave of Giants, Mexico - Crystalinks

"Walking into either of these caves is like stepping into a gigantic geode," said Richard D. Fisher, an American consultant with the mining company to develop the discoveries as tourist attractions. Fisher said that most people can endure only a few minutes in the caves due to their high temperatures. The smaller of the two, which is about the size of two-bedroom apartment, is 100 Fahrenheit. The large chamber, which Fisher describes as the size of a Cathedral, is 150 F. Both are located approximately 1200 feet below the surface. The mining company plans to air-condition the caves before opening them to the public next year, Fisher said. He adds that reducing the heat gradually will not harm the crystals.
    The info seems dated, and I'm more inclined to believe the National Geographic article.

Also I noticed the dates are from back in 2001. I thought these were discovered relatively recently?

Anyhow, here is what is currently going on with the caves, according to the official Naica website: NAICA PROJECT / CRYSTALS' CAVE