User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: UFOs ?

MBTI
    INFJ

Default UFOs ?

Many of us believe we are not the only life in the universe. But what's the deal with UFOs? Are we being visited by extra terrestrial life? What is your opinion?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I think it is a possibility. Since we cannot be sure, I don't think it wise to claim that they are not real. It's a fascinating subject, and sometimes I'd like to believe they are real. Bu we may not know for a long time.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

If there is intelligent life out there, I don't find it that hard to believe they may have visited. There are actually stories in the bible that suggest celestial visitations that have been interpreted as visits from God, however take that as you will.

However, if I had to make a guess, I'd say that we have NOT been visited, since the logistics and realities of deep space travel are such that I'd say the trip here would be unrealistic with our current understanding of how it works.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Would be weird if there wouldnt be life enywhere else in the universe, but would be even more weird if they would have been able to travel so great distances to get here.

Humans have really big need trying to explain the things they can not. Thats why they invented gods, ufos and other supernatural bullshit.

It always scares me that we have had no visitors though. Like I've always hoped there is some way around the limitations in space travel. If not we might just be some lifeforms trapped on a small rock, destined to see only a speck of reality.

There is the chance that there are so many star systems, or so few intelligent lifeforms that we might not have been found. This is considered a likely option, and some people (including Stephen Hawking) have mentioned that sending signals into space is a bad idea as a result, because anything that can receive them is likely to be more advanced, and not necessarily friendly or respectful when they find an inhabitable planet.

On the other hand they might decode the messages, enjoy the Beatles, and come and abduct Paul McCartney. Going by the fact Paul McCartney is still here: either there are no aliens, the aliens didn't receive the Beatles messages, they can't get here/haven't got here yet, or they don't like the Beatles. The first and last options seem very unlikely, so I think it's one of the middle two.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    the logistics and realities of deep space travel are such that I'd say the trip here would be unrealistic with our current understanding of how it works.
    Our current understanding is still in it's infantile stages. We think we're so smart but we still don't know a fraction of what we will know 100 years from now and so on. I don't discount that it would be possible to get here for a civilization thousands upon thousands of years more advanced than us.

Hawking calls UFO believers "Cranks and Weirdos" which I would only agree with on an individual basis, it pains me that some of these people of science have such closed minds.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I think it is a possibility. Since we cannot be sure, I don't think it wise to claim that they are not real. It's a fascinating subject, and sometimes I'd like to believe they are real. Bu we may not know for a long time.
    I always thought anyone who believed in UFOs was a goofball until I had a sighting about 4 years ago. What I saw could very well be a top secret black project but after searching the net for 4 years, it's still just theory despite the thousands of sightings of this same craft by others. This sighting has launched me into the quest to know. I'm still pretty skeptical about whether we are being visited but I personally know a couple of people who've had sightings and I consider them very down to earth (pun?) credible people. I promise you, that if this was a black project that I saw, it's going to blow your mind once it comes out of the closet, even though it already is in a way since it's out there over populated areas, but it might be that the agencies that manufacture this thing can get by with it since so many people are going to assume it's other worldly when they see it.

Quote Originally Posted by lillyofthevalley View Post
    I always thought anyone who believed in UFOs was a goofball until I had a sighting about 4 years ago. What I saw could very well be a top secret black project but after searching the net for 4 years, it's still just theory despite the thousands of sightings of this same craft by others. This sighting has launched me into the quest to know. I'm still pretty skeptical about whether we are being visited but I personally know a couple of people who've had sightings and I consider them very down to earth (pun?) credible people. I promise you, that if this was a black project that I saw, it's going to blow your mind once it comes out of the closet, even though it already is in a way since it's out there over populated areas, but it might be that the agencies that manufacture this thing can get by with it since so many people are going to assume it's other worldly when they see it.
    Well most scientists know they should be out there, apart from the ones who ignore all obvious data pointing toward life being common, or us not being uncommon. Whether they have come here or not is a question that is difficult to answer. What other technology would we have by that stage of advancement? Invisibility? Teleportation?

These seem like really crazy things to ask. But if you are realistically going to consider the question, rather than dismiss it because there is a social view that it is crazy, you need to ask them.

The Fermi Paradox page on Wikipedia is an interesting read. I'm assuming they are out there somewhere, whether they come here, I have no evidence of it, but I know nothing conclusive either way. It just seems strange from a behavioural point of view, that they'd do what they are said to do. Especially seeing space travel is assumed to be difficult.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

so when I was an undergrad our physics department had a speaker come in. He was well known and respected in his field for whatever he studied-something astronomical. He gave the normal physics seminar and then gave a larger lecture for the science division.

The talk was in three parts.

1-The origin of life. Not bad but being a biochemist it had some flaws. In general though the premise was sound

2-statistics based on timeline of the universe, evolutionary rates on our planet, and star size and density in the universe-not being my area of expertise it seemed reasonable

3-that aliens do exist, that they are among us and have inorganic brains. They are so small we cant see them and could fit into spaces between dimensions.

We were like WTF? This could explain much....

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post
    so when I was an undergrad our physics department had a speaker come in. He was well known and respected in his field for whatever he studied-something astronomical. He gave the normal physics seminar and then gave a larger lecture for the science division.

The talk was in three parts.

1-The origin of life. Not bad but being a biochemist it had some flaws. In general though the premise was sound

2-statistics based on timeline of the universe, evolutionary rates on our planet, and star size and density in the universe-not being my area of expertise it seemed reasonable

3-that aliens do exist, that they are among us and have inorganic brains. They are so small we cant see them and could fit into spaces between dimensions.

We were like WTF? This could explain much....
    Sounds like an interesting lecture although it must have been a shock to hear those statements. There are some very learned and respected people who believe in visitations. Honestly, when I listen to some of these theories, sometimes I have to force myself to suspend my judgement.